Demar DeRozan Street Balling with Brandon Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red and White wrote: View Post
    I know a bunch went to play in the Euro league and made decent money, and there have been a few with generally good careers like Alston, but very few do well.. I used to play ball with a street baller who was in the euro league for a few yearss. You would think street ballers would thrive in the Euro league because the less stress to play defense, and not many good defenders but that has not been the case.
    In Europe, they do play defense, it's just less reliant on athleticism than in the NBA. And in Europe, you need to play a team game. You think these street ballers excel at that?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

streetball sucks... does nothing - I repeat NOTHING - to improve Demars game... keeps him in shape and that is about it

Comment

It could help improve his handle a bit. I doubt DeMar sacrifices workouts and practice for a few Drew games.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Can they play in a structured system? Can they subjugate their skills to fit in, rather than show off? Can they pass? Can they defend their position? Can they score against a structured defense? Can they win?

Moves are great, but it's only half of what you need to make it in the NBA. Rafer Alston didn't do well in the NBA until he'd had the street knocked out of his game.
          Good point

Comment

In Europe, they do play defense, it's just less reliant on athleticism than in the NBA. And in Europe, you need to play a team game. You think these street ballers excel at that?
            Well, that is not true. Many NBA players who have been in the Euro's (Former raptor Will Solomom, who was known for his offense in the euro's) say that the European teams don't stress defense on their best players on offense. When you have tons of players who excel at things like jump shooting (which many street ballers do) and isolation, they can help any euro team win.

Do I think Street ballers excel at a team game, no. Do I think the excel at shooting, aggressiveness, and athleticism (which, you admit, the Euroleague lacks)? Yes.

Regardless, they can not score against a structured defense, that is why they never do well in the NBA. Watching those clips, I did not see 1 help defender. Didnt notice it before. They do not lack talent, but its the structure they lack.
            Last edited by Red and White; Thu Aug 11, 2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

fun to watch, but not really that useful to make your game better.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Anyone else notice how the Announcer was calling Derozan "LAX" and "Kid Fly"?

I think that was Derozan anyway.

I kinda like LAX ... Kid Fly works too.
                Both are better than Kid Comp-10 or whatever are calling him these days. haha

ADD That was a SICK off the backboard to himself, mid game. Like Carter in the All-Star game.
                Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 11, 2011, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Well, that is not true. Many NBA players who have been in the Euro's (Former raptor Will Solomom, who was known for his offense in the euro's) say that the European teams don't stress defense on their best players on offense. When you have tons of players who excel at things like jump shooting (which many street ballers do) and isolation, they can help any euro team win.

Do I think Street ballers excel at a team game, no. Do I think the excel at shooting, aggressiveness, and athleticism (which, you admit, the Euroleague lacks)? Yes.

Regardless, they can not score against a structured defense, that is why they never do well in the NBA. Watching those clips, I did not see 1 help defender. Didnt notice it before. They do not lack talent, but its the structure they lack.
                  I'd like to see a source on the Solomon remark about defense. Not that I don't believe you that he said that or that it will determine my opinion, but because of curiousity.

Many of the good ncaa players who don't make it to the nba go to Europe. Even if you'd think that Europeans have less athleticism, they do import it. Most streetballers will simply not be good enough or else would be making pretty good money in Europe.

Shooting certainly isn't a problem in the Euroleague as there are tons of very very good shooters in the Euroleague. You make it sound like streetballers are generally better than Euroleague players when you say that "they can help any euro team win", which is way way off. A lot of teams in Europe play at a much slower, more deliberate pace than in the NBA, with much more focus on teamball and a lot less on topplayers and isolations. Last year the topscorer in the Euroleague regular season (10 games) averaged less than 20 points a game. The streetball mentality of individual play would in no way thrive in Europe.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Anyone else notice how the Announcer was calling Derozan "LAX" and "Kid Fly"?

I think that was Derozan anyway.

I kinda like LAX ... Kid Fly works too.
                    Both are better than Kid Comp-10 or whatever are calling him these days. haha

ADD That was a SICK off the backboard to himself.
                    "LAX" sounds way too much like an abbreviation for 'laxative' and at best that's refering to a high a high turnover rate...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      "LAX" sounds way too much like an abbreviation for 'laxative' and at best that's refering to a high a high turnover rate...
                      It's the name of the main Airport in LA... he's from LA and he FLIES. Works for me.

Comment

I think the coolest thing this summer so far was Brandon Jennings vs Josh Selby. Kids a freshman and hes keeping up with an NBA star.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Some of the most ridiculous Shooting I've ever seen from BJ.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          It's the name of the main Airport in LA... he's from LA and he FLIES. Works for me.
                          Didn't know that. But after wikipedia-ing it I also noticed that it's the name of an album by The Game. He played in that game too right? So it might have been a nickname for him.

Comment

Can they play in a structured system? Can they subjugate their skills to fit in, rather than show off? Can they pass? Can they defend their position? Can they score against a structured defense? Can they win?

Moves are great, but it's only half of what you need to make it in the NBA. Rafer Alston didn't do well in the NBA until he'd had the street knocked out of his game.
                            You're absolutely right Tim, and that was sort of my point. I don't understand how players with such obvious talent can settle for this one dimensional approach to the sport. At some point they had to make a choice to be a baller or a basketball player. At all the runs I go to I see kids working on their handles only to brick the layup that their handles got them. Or watching jump shots that make Joakim Noah look like Del Curry. Flat spin. Like Goose and Maverick in Top Gun. After having 5 old out of shape guys beat you up and down the court with ball movement, screens, help D etc. you would think that the kids might learn something. But...........nope.

Comment

derozan with some sick dunks
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                I'd like to see a source on the Solomon remark about defense. Not that I don't believe you that he said that or that it will determine my opinion, but because of curiousity.

Many of the good ncaa players who don't make it to the nba go to Europe. Even if you'd think that Europeans have less athleticism, they do import it. Most streetballers will simply not be good enough or else would be making pretty good money in Europe.

Shooting certainly isn't a problem in the Euroleague as there are tons of very very good shooters in the Euroleague. You make it sound like streetballers are generally better than Euroleague players when you say that "they can help any euro team win", which is way way off. A lot of teams in Europe play at a much slower, more deliberate pace than in the NBA, with much more focus on teamball and a lot less on topplayers and isolations. Last year the topscorer in the Euroleague regular season (10 games) averaged less than 20 points a game. The streetball mentality of individual play would in no way thrive in Europe.
                                I was totally ignoring the good things about the euro league and that made the street ballers look better in my mind. So many good passers and shooters, and so many players with High-Iq and the coaches are good at what they do. I still think that any team could use a player who can drive and finish and things like that (a go-to), but there are many better options then a street baller (if we even count them as an option). Makes more sense to me now.
                                Last edited by Red and White; Thu Aug 11, 2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X