Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Demar DeRozan Street Balling with Brandon Jennings

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

fun to watch, but not really that useful to make your game better.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else notice how the Announcer was calling Derozan "LAX" and "Kid Fly"?

I think that was Derozan anyway.

I kinda like LAX ... Kid Fly works too.
    Both are better than Kid Comp-10 or whatever are calling him these days. haha

ADD That was a SICK off the backboard to himself, mid game. Like Carter in the All-Star game.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 11th, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Well, that is not true. Many NBA players who have been in the Euro's (Former raptor Will Solomom, who was known for his offense in the euro's) say that the European teams don't stress defense on their best players on offense. When you have tons of players who excel at things like jump shooting (which many street ballers do) and isolation, they can help any euro team win.

Do I think Street ballers excel at a team game, no. Do I think the excel at shooting, aggressiveness, and athleticism (which, you admit, the Euroleague lacks)? Yes.

Regardless, they can not score against a structured defense, that is why they never do well in the NBA. Watching those clips, I did not see 1 help defender. Didnt notice it before. They do not lack talent, but its the structure they lack.
    I'd like to see a source on the Solomon remark about defense. Not that I don't believe you that he said that or that it will determine my opinion, but because of curiousity.

Many of the good ncaa players who don't make it to the nba go to Europe. Even if you'd think that Europeans have less athleticism, they do import it. Most streetballers will simply not be good enough or else would be making pretty good money in Europe.

Shooting certainly isn't a problem in the Euroleague as there are tons of very very good shooters in the Euroleague. You make it sound like streetballers are generally better than Euroleague players when you say that "they can help any euro team win", which is way way off. A lot of teams in Europe play at a much slower, more deliberate pace than in the NBA, with much more focus on teamball and a lot less on topplayers and isolations. Last year the topscorer in the Euroleague regular season (10 games) averaged less than 20 points a game. The streetball mentality of individual play would in no way thrive in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

ADD That was a SICK off the backboard to himself.
    "LAX" sounds way too much like an abbreviation for 'laxative' and at best that's refering to a high a high turnover rate...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    "LAX" sounds way too much like an abbreviation for 'laxative' and at best that's refering to a high a high turnover rate...
    It's the name of the main Airport in LA... he's from LA and he FLIES. Works for me.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the coolest thing this summer so far was Brandon Jennings vs Josh Selby. Kids a freshman and hes keeping up with an NBA star.

UNBELIEVABLE.

Some of the most ridiculous Shooting I've ever seen from BJ.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the name of the main Airport in LA... he's from LA and he FLIES. Works for me.
    Didn't know that. But after wikipedia-ing it I also noticed that it's the name of an album by The Game. He played in that game too right? So it might have been a nickname for him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Can they play in a structured system? Can they subjugate their skills to fit in, rather than show off? Can they pass? Can they defend their position? Can they score against a structured defense? Can they win?

Moves are great, but it's only half of what you need to make it in the NBA. Rafer Alston didn't do well in the NBA until he'd had the street knocked out of his game.
    You're absolutely right Tim, and that was sort of my point. I don't understand how players with such obvious talent can settle for this one dimensional approach to the sport. At some point they had to make a choice to be a baller or a basketball player. At all the runs I go to I see kids working on their handles only to brick the layup that their handles got them. Or watching jump shots that make Joakim Noah look like Del Curry. Flat spin. Like Goose and Maverick in Top Gun. After having 5 old out of shape guys beat you up and down the court with ball movement, screens, help D etc. you would think that the kids might learn something. But...........nope.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

derozan with some sick dunks

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I'd like to see a source on the Solomon remark about defense. Not that I don't believe you that he said that or that it will determine my opinion, but because of curiousity.

Many of the good ncaa players who don't make it to the nba go to Europe. Even if you'd think that Europeans have less athleticism, they do import it. Most streetballers will simply not be good enough or else would be making pretty good money in Europe.

Shooting certainly isn't a problem in the Euroleague as there are tons of very very good shooters in the Euroleague. You make it sound like streetballers are generally better than Euroleague players when you say that "they can help any euro team win", which is way way off. A lot of teams in Europe play at a much slower, more deliberate pace than in the NBA, with much more focus on teamball and a lot less on topplayers and isolations. Last year the topscorer in the Euroleague regular season (10 games) averaged less than 20 points a game. The streetball mentality of individual play would in no way thrive in Europe.
    I was totally ignoring the good things about the euro league and that made the street ballers look better in my mind. So many good passers and shooters, and so many players with High-Iq and the coaches are good at what they do. I still think that any team could use a player who can drive and finish and things like that (a go-to), but there are many better options then a street baller (if we even count them as an option). Makes more sense to me now.
    Last edited by Red and White; Thu Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

UNBELIEVABLE.

Some of the most ridiculous Shooting I've ever seen from BJ.
    This is some Magic and Larry shit. Who knows, if Shelby ever becomes a starter or role player or something in the NBA (he was drafted by the grizz) I would love to see how they act when they play eachother. I know they wont flip out or anything like in this video, but who knows. One thing I do know, Milwaukee vs Memphis in the finals is what I am hoping for. The crazy thing is Josh lit BJ up in their first game.

Post Thanks / Like

I was totally ignoring the good things about the euro league and that made the street ballers look better in my mind. So many good passers and shooters, and so many players with High-Iq and the coaches are good at what they do. I still think that any team could use a player who can drive and finish and things like that (a go-to), but there are many better options then a street baller (if we even count them as an option). Makes more sense to me now.
    Wow; hats off to you sir!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

ADD That was a SICK off the backboard to himself, mid game. Like Carter in the All-Star game.
    I like Kid Fly. Don't know what LAX even mean.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for letting me know what LAX Mean. Didn't connect the dots. lol

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

and to be clear you would pronounce each letter so it sounds like el(L) eh(A) ex(X). NOT as a single world "LAX". TO me there is nothing in the way it sounds that makes it similar to the word laxative. The only connection is how it's spelled.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Kobe Doin' Work.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

eww

Post Thanks / Like

This is something new:

Source

Nick Young is not going to participate in the Drew vs. Goodman game. He isn't hurt, he doesn't have better things to do, he isn't playing because he is upset he didn't get the MVP of the Drew League. I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. Let's hope this doesn't set a precedent.

According to Marc Spears
    from yahoo.com:

Smiley said NBA players on the Drew League’s roster Saturday include Harden, Williams, DeRozan, Smith, Brandon Jennings, Javale McGee and Pooh Jeter. Williams replaced Washington Wizards guard Nick Young on the roster, Smiley added, because Young is upset about not being named MVP of the Drew League. That honor was given to Long Beach State senior guard Casper Ware, who was voted in by the fans via the Internet.
    Nick Young is a f$@#ing LOSER.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats messed up. Well, Nick Young will be Nick Young. I rather Williams anyways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information