Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JV Compared to ..... Bosh?

This is a head scratcher.

Darius Maskoliunas was Jonas Valanciunas' head coach at Lietuvos Rytas last season and recently shared some of his thoughts on Toronto's first round pick from the 2011 NBA Draft.

“He works hard in practice and never talks back,” Maskoliunas said. “He’s 100 percent concentrated. It was a pleasure to work with him."

Valanciunas is unlikely to play for the Raptors before the 12-13 NBA season.

“I see him as a Chris Bosh type,” Maskoliunas said. “He can play back to the basket, facing the basket… He has to take that mid-range shot. He can shoot it. But he can run, he can rebound, he even has a three-point shot."

source

Personally, I think that Bosh has a better mid-range game. From the videos I've seen and some games watched, JV's a back-to-the-basket kinda guy with relentlessness for put-backs and dunks. I'm not sure if the comparison is apt. Thoughts?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Probably used Bosh as a comparison due to the Toronto connection, nothing more nothing less.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It was Jonas himself who first used the Chris Bosh comparison when he came to the ACC to meet the media - and there is a lot of merit to it.

When Bosh came into the league he ran the floor and lived around the basket very similar to what is expected out of Jonas when he arrives - Bosh developed a mid-range game and Jonas definitely has the potential to do the same. We tend to forget that it was Bosh's knees that took him out his running game and impacted his ability to defend as players took him away from the basket.

The advantage Jonas has is about 1.5" in height & 20 lbs heavier than Bosh at the same age which should enable Jonas to play at the 5 much easier as he develops. And Jonas doesn't have any physical limitations like bad knees (Bosh) or bad feet (Chandler) - at least not yet.
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

I doubt JV will be as good as Bosh offensively. Bosh post up moves and defence were rather average so I hope JV will be better in that department.

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
          It was Jonas himself who first used the Chris Bosh comparison when he came to the ACC to meet the media - and there is a lot of merit to it.
          Yes, I remember Jonas comparing himself to Chris Bosh on draft night during his first interview (fresh off shaking hands with D. Stern) ... through his muddy English, his main comparison was that he ALSO didn't have a strong body ...
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Here we go:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LasiL4NYA-Y
            "I think, like this" ... haha, nice kid - and I bet he will show up in 2012-13 with some improved English.
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I disagree. I dont think Bosh ever displayed a consistent "protect the rim" defensive posture like JV seems to do currently. In fact the last couple of years Bosh has not intimidated anyone defensively and this was looked upon negatively in Miami. I do believe JV also displays a much more take-charge attitude which bodes well in the lockerroom/leadership area once he has a season or two under his belt. Bosh is a passive personality and feeds off others mostly. He has found a fit with the Heat hanging with Lebron and Wade.

Comment

I think the comparison is fair. Chris Bosh is a similar player to (and has been compared to) Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol. They are all all-star, mobile 7 footers who stick jump shots and grab alot of boards. Obviously this is an overly-simplified comparison but all of these players have been compared to one another in the past.

That being said, The way Valanciunas moves reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol than Bosh. Either way, these comparisons are good company which is quite premature but the way Valanpenis has been playing lately shows no reason why he can't be a multiple all-star in the NBA one day.

Comment

MillerRegent wrote: View Post
                  I think the comparison is fair. Chris Bosh is a similar player to (and has been compared to) Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol. They are all all-star, mobile 7 footers who stick jump shots and grab alot of boards. Obviously this is an overly-simplified comparison but all of these players have been compared to one another in the past.

That being said, The way Valanciunas moves reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan or Pau Gasol than Bosh. Either way, these comparisons are good company which is quite premature but the way Valanpenis has been playing lately shows no reason why he can't be a multiple all-star in the NBA one day.
                  I don't think Bosh is anything like those guys and I don't think he is even remotely similar to JV (from what I've seen so far).

Bosh was all mid range jumper and penetration. He rarely played near the rim. He may have been 'mobile' but he never used it. He was a low energy player especially away from the ball.

Comment

Bosh was really quick, with his hands and his feet, but never had that toughness to compliment it. I believe JV has everything that bosh had (except the jump shot... yet) but combined with a relentless toughness and love for the game. JV plays with so much hustle that i dont even care if he plays a minute, just as long as he shows our young guys what it means to battle it out in practise. Also JV is a MUCH better rebounder currently than bosh would ever be. (those 10 rbpg came by stealing all the defensive rebounds, not hustle, positioning or ability).
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                      I don't think Bosh is anything like those guys and I don't think he is even remotely similar to JV (from what I've seen so far).

Bosh was all mid range jumper and penetration. He rarely played near the rim. He may have been 'mobile' but he never used it. He was a low energy player especially away from the ball.
                      When Bosh was coming into the league who would you compare him to? Garnett and Duncan are the only guys I think that come to mind who have the same skill set.
                      Basically what you are telling me is that JV and Bosh are not even REMOTELY similar because of energy level and the amount of play near the rim? If those are the only differences I would say that they are ATLEAST REMOTELY similar...

All I'm saying is that it is hard to predict the future of 19 year old players. But it looks like he has the same tools as Garnett, Duncan, Gasol AND Bosh because all of those guys have the same skill set. How they use them may be slightly different.

Comment

I know a lot of Raptor fans are jaded about Bosh, and have negative connotations with his name, but the comparison is meant as a compliment. And he's not saying he's EXACTLY like him, but the fact is that both are very quick, mobile big men who can face up and who don't rely on a back to the basket game. He's not saying that Valanciunas is going to be the same player.

Remember, Bosh has been a perennial All-Star, which is something we al hope Valanciunas will be.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Not at all..

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          I know a lot of Raptor fans are jaded about Bosh, and have negative connotations with his name, but the comparison is meant as a compliment. And he's not saying he's EXACTLY like him, but the fact is that both are very quick, mobile big men who can face up and who don't rely on a back to the basket game. He's not saying that Valanciunas is going to be the same player.

Remember, Bosh has been a perennial All-Star, which is something we al hope Valanciunas will be.
                          Well, my response to this has little to do with my personal feelings towards Bosh. I just find that their respective games are so different. I can perhaps see Carlos Boozer or Al Jefferson with a dash of Chandler on the defensive side of things more so than Bosh.
                          Last edited by Balls of Steel; Wed Aug 17, 2011, 05:37 PM.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I think this is a case of JV's coach knowing JV's game inside out but not knowing Bosh's game that well.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

to me it has nothing to do with the 'quality' of his play but rather how he plays. Otherwise we might aswell just compare him to any random all-star. I'd actually say the Dwight Howard comparison you made before is much closer to Jonas than Bosh is.

When Bosh was coming into the league who would you compare him to? Garnett and Duncan are the only guys I think that come to mind who have the same skill set.
                              Basically what you are telling me is that JV and Bosh are not even REMOTELY similar because of energy level and the amount of play near the rim? If those are the only differences I would say that they are ATLEAST REMOTELY similar...

All I'm saying is that it is hard to predict the future of 19 year old players. But it looks like he has the same tools as Garnett, Duncan, Gasol AND Bosh because all of those guys have the same skill set. How they use them may be slightly different
                              I didn't think he was anything like either. Duncan was a legit 7fter and played like it. Inside and out. He didn't attack on the dribble like Bosh did, and while he could shoot he spent alot more time at the rim than taking 15fters. Garnett is what people hoped he would be like but Garnett was much more versatile in all aspects of the game. Garnett could defend and play at the perimeter, mid range and inside, handle the ball, and was an excellent passer.

Gasol would be the closest (to Bosh) out of those listed but again plays much more inside and is a far superior passer. David West is easily the closest player to Bosh. (I might say Amare in NY aswell)

I also think you are using 'skill set' in the most broad use of the term. If you want to say they are all big men who can score, then yes those 4 (Pau, Duncan, Bosh, KG) have the same skill set.

Bosh made his name in the NBA by having a reliable jumpshot and penetrating. But thats all he has. JV hasn't shown to have either of those (atleast not yet). But has made his name (to date) by running the floor, playing with energy and playing near the rim. He more or less overwelms his opponent while Bosh finesses them. Comparing Bosh to JV would be like comparing Ray Allen to Lebron James. Both may be good players but completely different games.

Comment

Working...
                              X