No announcement yet.

Perry Jones interview - would be upset if Toronto drafted him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think he's 90% joking. He had a little smirk at the end. The only thing I take from it is that he doesn't like going through customs... and that he does bear a striking resemblance to LeBum.

Comment

Jones doesn't realize he can get someone else to carry his stash across the border.
      Last edited by stretch; Sat Aug 20, 2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

That is by far the sketchiest reason to not come somewhere. Hopefully he was joking, or he smuggles drugs.

Comment

Even if they make a lot of money, the draft is still a weird system; I know I'd be totally against any system where I would not be able to decide where I want to work. I wouldn't want to work at the other side of the country and I live in a small one, let alone living hunderds of miles or more away from your family and friends. Not everybody loves that. Of course the drafting system has many positives, but that's not one of them.

Normally players just give the 'correct' answer, as they were probably tought to do at some mediatraining. And when they don't, we get all upset and sometimes even enraged. We'd rather have them be humble and be glad to play anywhere and stuff, which means we'd rather have them keeping up appearances. I have no problem whatsoever with players saying what they think about playing somewhere and I'd still want us to draft them if it was the right basketball choice; they'll get over it. They certainly will if customs is the 'big' problem.

Btw, he did crack a smile...

Comment

Customs experiences may differ for non-Canadian citizens entering the country so I'm not going to come out and call him ignorant. I've had no troubles re-entering the country.

Comment

Raptor fans have to get over this sensitivity. I'd love for one player to say he didn't want to be drafted by Toronto because the fans act like scorned girlfriends at the tiniest hint of a slight.

Nothing shouts insecurity than caring whether a guy hates customs, or not.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                Even if they make a lot of money, the draft is still a weird system; I know I'd be totally against any system where I would not be able to decide where I want to work. I wouldn't want to work at the other side of the country and I live in a small one, let alone living hunderds of miles or more away from your family and friends. Not everybody loves that. Of course the drafting system has many positives, but that's not one of them.

Normally players just give the 'correct' answer, as they were probably tought to do at some mediatraining. And when they don't, we get all upset and sometimes even enraged. We'd rather have them be humble and be glad to play anywhere and stuff, which means we'd rather have them keeping up appearances. I have no problem whatsoever with players saying what they think about playing somewhere and I'd still want us to draft them if it was the right basketball choice; they'll get over it. They certainly will if customs is the 'big' problem.

Btw, he did crack a smile...

correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think a player is required to enter the draft. They could wait a period of time and then work out for an individual team, but they would miss out on alot of money in the mean time.

The draft is incredibly important to helping keep the league competitive. If rookies were always able to choose who did and didn't draft them and who they would play for, you'd be left with a very lopsided league. And while there is something to be said for having "dynasty" teams, some level of parity helps ensure league security

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Raptor fans have to get over this sensitivity. I'd love for one player to say he didn't want to be drafted by Toronto because the fans act like scorned girlfriends at the tiniest hint of a slight.

Nothing shouts insecurity than caring whether a guy hates customs, or not.
                  I do agree, but "I'd be upset if they drafted me" is a bit more than a 'hint of a slight'.
                  He could have handled this answer 100 different ways, but chose THE ONE way that would upset any fanbase.
                  Just goes to show how immature this kid is.

You think a guy like Barnes would say something like that?
                  Not a chance.
                  Joking or not, it means something to the fans; and ANY fanbase would react the same way had this been said about their team.
                  Previous slights or not.

And saying "Raptor fans have to get over this sensitivity" is far too general.
                  Like I said, his comments would insite the exact same reaction from ANY fanbase, so I'm not sure this has anything to do with being overly sensitive because of previous wrong-doings by other players.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                    correct me if I'm wrong here but I don't think a player is required to enter the draft. They could wait a period of time and then work out for an individual team, but they would miss out on alot of money in the mean time.

The draft is incredibly important to helping keep the league competitive. If rookies were always able to choose who did and didn't draft them and who they would play for, you'd be left with a very lopsided league. And while there is something to be said for having "dynasty" teams, some level of parity helps ensure league security
                    Completely agree; that's why I said that the system has many positives. That's why in Europe only the rich football teams are competitive; in our national league most teams will never ever ever have a chance to compete for a championship and as it is now, with Spanish and English teams investing millions and millions (it's quite normal to buy a player from another team for 40 million euros or more) while being in depth for hunderds of millions, no team in our nation will be able to compete on the European level even though we have teams with a great history.

And yet the positives do not mean it's not still a system where a 'starting' employee has no control over their job location. It also doesn't mean that those players somehow like that automatically, even if they get paid a lot. I would think it's only normal to have preferences where to play and where not to play. We just want them not to talk about it and pretend like they don't.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      I do agree, but "I'd be upset if they drafted me" is a bit more than a 'hint of a slight'.
                      He could have handled this answer 100 different ways, but chose THE ONE way that would upset any fanbase.
                      Just goes to show how immature this kid is.

You think a guy like Barnes would say something like that?
                      Not a chance.
                      Joking or not, it means something to the fans; and ANY fanbase would react the same way had this been said about their team.
                      Previous slights or not.

And saying "Raptor fans have to get over this sensitivity" is far too general.
                      Like I said, his comments would insite the exact same reaction from ANY fanbase, so I'm not sure this has anything to do with being overly sensitive because of previous wrong-doings by other players.
                      It was one quote and none of us knows whether there was something else behind it, whether he meant it or whether it was a joke. Yet people are saying they don't want to draft him because of it. Remember how people came down on Kanter when there was a RUMOUR that he wouldn't work out for the Raptors. A rumour that turned out to be false.

On a similar, but different (??) note, I remember back in the 90s when David Duchovney was on David Letterman and jokingly commented about the rain in Vancouver. You should have seen the firestorm here. How DARE you complain, blah, blah, blah! The problem is that EVERYONE here complains about the rain, just as people in Toronto complain about the cold in the winter and heat in the summer. It was embarrassing and made Vancouver look petty and small.

Raptor fans are overly sensitive when it comes to criticism of Toronto and Canada. I really don't think you can argue otherwise.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It was one quote and none of us knows whether there was something else behind it, whether he meant it or whether it was a joke. Yet people are saying they don't want to draft him because of it. Remember how people came down on Kanter when there was a RUMOUR that he wouldn't work out for the Raptors. A rumour that turned out to be false.

On a similar, but different (??) note, I remember back in the 90s when David Duchovney was on David Letterman and jokingly commented about the rain in Vancouver. You should have seen the firestorm here. How DARE you complain, blah, blah, blah! The problem is that EVERYONE here complains about the rain, just as people in Toronto complain about the cold in the winter and heat in the summer. It was embarrassing and made Vancouver look petty and small.

Raptor fans are overly sensitive when it comes to criticism of Toronto and Canada. I really don't think you can argue otherwise.

no we aren't i think vancouver fans are a lot more worse than Toronto fans any day(the riot). If the Leafs or the raptors lost the finals i don't think fans would go out on the street destroyin shit.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post

A player is eligible for the draft when they turn 22, even if they don't want to be.

And it's not as if the NBA is making players play and live in these cities. They are free to go anywhere they like. They can play in Europe or in their local Y league. If they want to play in the NBA, they have to follow the rules.

Is it fair that if I want to be an actor on network television, I can't go anywhere and do it? Or if I want to run for Federal Government I have to spend half the time in Ottawa?

No one is forcing these players to play in the NBA. For the amount of money they are making, it's a tradeoff. And not a bad one.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            no we aren't i think vancouver fans are a lot more worse than Toronto fans any day(the riot). If the Leafs or the raptors lost the finals i don't think fans would go out on the street destroyin shit.
                            I'm not sure what rioting has to do with anything. I'm speaking about fans being sensitive to anything they perceive as a slight. And I'm actually from Toronto, originally, so it's not like I'm going on hearsay. Remember when Antonio Davis mentioned the metric system?

As for the riot, I don't like hockey, anyway, but from what I gather that riot had as much to do with the hockey game as the English riots had to do with the shooting.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

A player is eligible for the draft when they turn 22, even if they don't want to be.

And it's not as if the NBA is making players play and live in these cities. They are free to go anywhere they like. They can play in Europe or in their local Y league. If they want to play in the NBA, they have to follow the rules.

Is it fair that if I want to be an actor on network television, I can't go anywhere and do it? Or if I want to run for Federal Government I have to spend half the time in Ottawa?

No one is forcing these players to play in the NBA. For the amount of money they are making, it's a tradeoff. And not a bad one.
                              Absolutely. No mention of unfair here. Only that they won't view every draft town or team with the same enthousiasm and that's ok with me. Because the system is like this if you want to play at the highest level doesn't mean they have to act all lovingly to every team.
                              They all get asked about their feelings towards playing here or there all the time and they all have to give sweet answers or we start crying about it. We don't want honesty, please fool us with your 'correctspeak'.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                Absolutely. No mention of unfair here. Only that they won't view every draft town or team with the same enthousiasm and that's ok with me. Because the system is like this if you want to play at the highest level doesn't mean they have to act all lovingly to every team.
                                They all get asked about their feelings towards playing here or there all the time and they all have to give sweet answers or we start crying about it. We don't want honesty, please fool us with your 'correctspeak'.
                                Very good point. It seems people would rather be lied to, as long as they don't hear criticisms of their city. I mean, who the hell would really choose Minnesota?
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X