Thread: Thus far JV game seems ahead of Enes Kanter

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thus far JV game seems ahead of Enes Kanter

Really good analysis of Enes Kanter 3 exhibition games thus far with videos:

http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/08/15/fi...BA+Playbook%29

I know it is just three games, but I think finally being able to see Kanter play a live game has helped get rid of some of the mystery around him. Sure it is just three games, and while nobody in their right mind would use these games to prove that Kanter is a bust, it should become obvious that Kanter needs a little more work than probably expected. The good thing about it is that some of the things that need correct (help defense, recognizing double teams, setting screens) are things that tend to get better with more experience. While he may not get a ton of playing time during EuroBasket (both Erden and Asik are sitting these prep games out but should be ready to go for the actual tournament), Kanter is definitely someone you want to pay attention to and see if he starts playing a little better with more experience.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kanter might have better post moves but i haven't seen him play a whole lot. He seems very smooth down there though

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He also hasn't played in game competition for over a year. These were the 2 real big men available at the top of the draft so it should be really interesting to compare JV against him this summer.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

"However, as good as Kanter is on the ball in the post, hes that bad away from the ball in help situations and when trying to defend on the pick and roll." And people wanted us to draft this guy as Bargnani's replacement?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to make it clear this is not a statement about either Jonas or Kanter here. But is this from the same guy that talked about the "myth" of Andrea's D and how Jonas and Andrea could work together defensively?

Best part was reading the comments and seeing (for those that have had 'discussions' with him before):

Khandor : "Part of what I happen to do involves making assessments about a particular player's long term ability to succeed as a professional athlete. When I turn out to be wrong, then, I have no problem whatsoever with others holding me accountable for that inaccuracy"

hahahahahaha

sorry to distract from the thread.

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He hasn't played competitive ball in a long time... it's too early to judge him, despite how poorly he played in comparison to Jonas. I think all the time he missed stunted his defensive potential.
    Quote Macc wrote: View Post
    "However, as good as Kanter is on the ball in the post, he’s that bad away from the ball in help situations and when trying to defend on the pick and roll." And people wanted us to draft this guy as Bargnani's replacement?
    You see, but Kanter can't shoot threes.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

posted this in another thread: ESPN's Fran Frascilla's tweets on JV

http://twitter.com/#!/franfraschilla

"@nbadraftblog Agree hype is little over the top on Valanciunas. But solid for Sr.Team, so far. When Sabonis/Gasols praise, a good thing!"

"@franfraschilla I never understood why Jazz did not take Valanciunas at #3 over Kanter? I thought contract situation worked perfectly."

"I am not drinking Lithuanian kool-aid (has vodka in it) but would Valanciunas be No.1 if NBA Draft were today? Wonder what @lukewinn thinks?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jaworski wrote: View Post
    "I am not drinking Lithuanian kool-aid (has vodka in it) but would Valanciunas be No.1 if NBA Draft were today? Wonder what @lukewinn thinks?"
    Interesting. I've been wondering the same thing.