Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Vick signs $100M contact with Eagles... Are you happy for him?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Vick signs $100M contact with Eagles... Are you happy for him?

    So back in 2004 at the pinnacle of the first Michael Vick craze(pre-dog killing saga) Vick signed $130M, ten year deal. Unfortunately for the Falcons and all those abused and killed dogs, Vick turned out to have some issues with animal cruelty. He was caught and punished by serving time in jail, having his $130M contract voided and losing out on millions more in endorsement money. Fast forward to 2009. Donvan McNabb, who is a class act, pulled some strings and got Vick a gig as a 3rd string QB in Philly. Unfortunately for McNabb, Vick's play in practice impressed the Eagles to the point where they kicked their franchise QB to the curb and felt more than covered moving forward with Kolb and Vick. Then came the 2010 season. Kolb gets rocked early on in the season, is forced to miss some games and Vick goes on to pretty much dominate the league. The Eagles then put the franchise tag on Vick and only a season after dealing their franchise QB they turn around and dealed their envisioned franchise QB of the future (Kolb) to the Cards. That brings us to this:

    The National Football Post has learned that Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed on a new six-year contract through 2016 for $100 million.

    Vick, who was carrying a Franchise tag Cap number of $16.2 million, will have his Cap number for 2011 reduced to $14.4 million.
    Source: NationalFootballPost.com

    Yahoo is reporting that there is "approximately $40 million guaranteed" on this new contact.

    Wow. From sensation, to most hated athlete in America to sensation yet again. Does he deserve this? Do you look at him now the same way as before the whole dog fighting fiasco? Has he fully redeemed himself? Are you happy for him?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I couldn't be happier for Vick to be honest.

    I was really disappointed after hearing about all the Dog fighting BS, but the man is an Elite level Athlete and an Elite level Football player.

    Michael Jackson was a great musician. Not a child Rapist.
    Tom Cruise is a great Actor. Not a Religious Freak.
    Tiger Woods is the GREATEST golfer of all time. Not a Sex Addict.
    Michael Jordan is the GREATEST Basketball player of all time. Not a Compulsive Gambler.
    Kobe Bryant is a Champion. Not a Rapist.
    And Michael Vick is one of the most Unique, Gifted QBs Football has ever seen. Not a Dog Killer.

    We pay to see them as professionals, and the best at what they do, do what they do best.
    If they just so happen to have hobbies that I don't approve of, well, I don't pay to admire them as Flawed Human Beings.
    I pay to admire them as Extraordinarily Gifted entertainers.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Michael Jackson was a great musician. Not a child Rapist.
    Tom Cruise is a great Actor. Not a Religious Freak.
    Tiger Woods is the GREATEST golfer of all time. Not a Sex Addict.
    Michael Jordan is the GREATEST Basketball player of all time. Not a Compulsive Gambler.
    Kobe Bryant is a Champion. Not a Rapist.
    And Michael Vick is one of the most Unique, Gifted QBs Football has ever seen. Not a Dog Killer.
    The difference between Vick and the rest of them is the whole "proven guilty in a court of law" thing

    but i have a soft spot for dogs. So i wish nothing but the worst in life for Vick. Testicular cancer for starters would be nice.


  4. #4
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mike Vick is not the most gifted QB the league has even seen. Tell that to Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Hell, add in Aaron Rodgers while you're at it because as biased as I am on Rodgers, he has the numbers and the hardware to backup my claim.

    Being able to run really fast doesn't make you the most gifted QB of all time. If he makes it deep into the playoffs he's going to have to beat teams with his arm.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Mike Vick is not the most gifted QB the league has even seen. Tell that to Brett Favre, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Hell, add in Aaron Rodgers while you're at it because as biased as I am on Rodgers, he has the numbers and the hardware to backup my claim.

    Being able to run really fast doesn't make you the most gifted QB of all time. If he makes it deep into the playoffs he's going to have to beat teams with his arm.
    Unique was the key word in what I was saying about Vick.
    He is one of the most UNIQUE QB's to ever play the game. Just so happens dude is talented as f*ck.

    And I also said "One of" not "the".
    Relax Apollo haha
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 30th, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What? No Troy Aikman on that list? What a farce!!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  7. #7
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Unique was the key word in what I was saying about Vick.
    He is one of the most UNIQUE QB's to ever play the game. Just so happens dude is talented as f*ck.

    And I also said "One of" not "the".
    Relax Apollo haha
    I want to see him win a ring or prove he can at least get to the dance. No doubt he's fun to watch. I tell you one thing, he's not going to cement his legacy with the greats by running the ball and exposing himself to punishing hits all the time. He needs to settle down into the pocket and master that. Running needs to become an after thought to punish teams, not the basis of his whole game... That is unless he doesn't mind retiring early and not collecting all that fat contract. Let's not forget he's 30.

    Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    What? No Troy Aikman on that list? What a farce!!
    The main thing I don't like about Cowboys fans is that everything has to be about the Cowboys.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote:
    teach children morality.
    Quote heinz57 wrote:
    the greatest enemy of faith is dogma.

    at the end of the day, it's all just made up fairy tales to teach children morality.

    the things done in the name of ANY church have always led to awful consequences. authoritative organizations created to dictate principles and morality defeat the entire purpose of having beliefs and morals... if you believe something is right because somebody else told you its right, you dont actually believe it.. you're just a lemming.

    who cares if somebody else's made up BS is different from our own made up BS... at the end of the day, its ALL made up BS... as long as it helps teach kids to not be a bunch of douchebags, im all for it..
    Now you're running into another doghouse here. My argument is about recognition of Scientology, not about whether religion itself is bs. Throw me more straw mans please, kthx.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 1st, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: off topic

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Now you're running into another doghouse here. My argument is about recognition of Scientology, not about whether religion itself is bs. Throw me more straw mans please, kthx.
    i really dont care about the recognition.. consider me a third party on that debate.. i'm not against ANY religion... faith, belief, etc are important factors in molding morality and common sense.. i'm of the firm belief that every child should grow up with some sort of religion, no matter how wacky it is

    what i'm against is dogma and the "institutions" of religion.. i hate the institutionalized idea that "if you think differently from me, you're not one of us"

    all religions are BS... made up fairy tales... no matter how devout you are, everyone can at least agree on "every religion in the world except for mine is BS"... so basically, the majority of the world always thinks any particular religion is BS..

    that doesn't mean they're bad... fairy tales are awesome... they teach children lessons which help mold them into good people

    what religion... and all good fairy tales... should strive for is the implanting of ideas... the shaping of the human spirit.. creating members of society that actually benefit society.. regardless of how different their beliefs stray from their base religion, they should be embraced for taking those ideas and concepts and growing.

    organized religion doesnt care about that though... they like their people to stay stupid and fill the coffers and follow meekly like a bunch of lemmings towards a cliff

    i was raised catholic.. and to some degree, still consider myself catholic, although any church going catholic would say otherwise.. if i'd never heard the story of jesus before, and somebody came and told me about it... i'd be like "wait wait wait... WHAT?! you believe THAT load of crap?!"... and even now, being able to seperate myself from catholicism a bit, and realize that okay.. maybe those stories arent exactly the most factual stories in the world... i fully believe that stories were integral to me growing up to be a decent human being... it taught me human decency, goodwill to others, self sacrifice, humility... that shit is GOOD regardless of how you learn in....

    what's not good is a governing body regulating a very shaky fairy tale. the ideas and values of religions are usually great things that people should incorporate into their daily lives... the canon and tenets created by some old dudes with funny hats are largely a load of shit

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is it wise to give someone who's 31 who relies on their athletic ability a 100 million contract? How good is that contract gonna look in 3 years time when he's 34?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I keep wanting to insert drawings of dogs by Hitler and relate it to how we somehow should not care about actions in life by artists or athletes, but end up deleting my posts.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I keep wanting to insert drawings of dogs by Hitler and relate it to how we somehow should not care about actions in life by artists or athletes, but end up deleting my posts.
    This is actually a great analogy, Euro:

    Does one need to know of the autracities Hitler commited, for one to admire his art work?



    Its a beautiful painting; regardless of the Monster that created it.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Does one need to know of the autracities Hitler commited, for one to admire his art work?
    same goes for tom cruise.

    he made a good movie once. 1983. The Outsiders. It's all been downhill since then

  14. #14
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    This is actually a great analogy, Euro:

    Does one need to know of the autracities Hitler commited, for one to admire his art work?



    Its a beautiful painting; regardless of the Monster that created it.
    If Hitler painted you a beautiful family portrait would you hang it with pride above your mantle for all to see?

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    same goes for tom cruise.

    he made a good movie once. 1983. The Outsiders. It's all been downhill since then
    Me and my fiance watched "Knight and Day" not too long ago. It came out last year. We liked it. It was pretty funny for a romantic comedy I was dragged to see. He's been in many movies worth watching and I do not think he's ever been known as the second coming of Marlon Brando or anything to begin with. Anyway, Tom Cruise hasn't committed any crimes, he just did very poorly in broadcasting a fake public image of himself and happens to practice in something that most of us think is kind of goofy. Vick was the ring leader of animal torture and killings and now he's a hero. It is funny that is easily forgiven overnight when on the flip side, a guy like Pete Rose hurt no one and he will be vilified for life.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Me and my fiance watched "Knight and Day" not too long ago. It came out last year. We liked it. It was pretty funny for a romantic comedy I was dragged to see. He's been in many movies worth watching and I do not think he's ever been known as the second coming of Marlon Brando or anything to begin with. Anyway, Tom Cruise hasn't committed any crimes, he just did very poorly in broadcasting a fake public image of himself and happens to practice in something that most of us think is kind of goofy. Vick was the ring leader of animal torture and killings and now he's a hero. It is funny that is easily forgiven overnight when on the flip side, a guy like Pete Rose hurt no one and he will be vilified for life.
    I'm not hating on Tom.. i just think the majority of his movies range from crap to mediocre... and the only standouts, aren't standouts because they're good movies... they're the awesomely campy ones (Top Gun, Cocktail, Risky Business)

    The lone exception being The Outsiders. What a fantastic movie that was.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Vick was the ring leader of animal torture and killings and now he's a hero. It is funny that is easily forgiven overnight when on the flip side, a guy like Pete Rose hurt no one and he will be vilified for life.
    i for one have not forgiven him. He could cure cancer, and i'd still view him as a puppy killer.

    do i need to show more pics of my pup to show why?


  17. #17
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As for Tom Cruise ... well, I'm actually a huge fan. You see him in Tropic Thunder? Gold, Jerry. Gold.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i for one have not forgiven him. He could cure cancer, and i'd still view him as a puppy killer.

    do i need to show more pics of my pup to show why?

    he has paid his debt to society get over it, everyone changes as they get older.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    very happy with the signing and with the free agent signings we should make a deep run this year!

    nnamdi asomugha, jason babin, trent cole, mike patterson, jenkins, samuals, rogers-cromarite on defense and vick, jackson, maclin, smith, mccoy, brown on offense man we got a nice roster. the only concerns I have is safety and line backers and our O-line mainly the right side.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I also wondered what Tim's wife was thinking about the religion discussion with her background in comparative religion, but I'm not sure he follows these threads. Wait, let me call him:

    BARGNANI DEFENDED REALLY WELL TODAY!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •