Everything EuroBasket 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Ya I saw all of this afterwards as well ...
    But again, his family, (ie Wife and Kids) live in Canada. I think.
    So would they not be paying taxes in Canada?

And I'm confused on the matter because did we not give citizenship to Dalembert?
    I'm not sure he fell into this newly mentioned criteria?

Either way, all I'm trying to say is that Bonners situation and Bo McCalebb situations are differently, as Bonner has legitimate ties to the country.
    And
    Bonner's wife may very well be paying taxes in Canada, but I would bet anything that Matt himself is not. My guess is that he lost his PR (permanent resident) status, a couple of years after he went to San Antonio. Professional athletes and their agents are scared to death of Canadian taxes, so I would even go so far as to speculate that he might have even applied for 'non-resident' status to make sure he wasn't double taxed.

The reason I know about this stuff is because my wife went through the whole process. I don't know about the Dalembert situation, but I believe that he lived in Montreal for at least 3-4 continuous years, so he would have qualified at some point. Bonner has never qualified, so he doesn't really have a 'legitimate' case for CDN citizenship - as far as the rules of Canada currently stand. Don't get me wrong here, I would LOVE to have the Red Rocket on the team, but if he doesn't qualify, then he shouldn't jump the queue - that's all.

Comment

• I say bend the rules in Bonner's case. It's like horseshoes, close enough, give it the rubber stamp, get it done. Bonner is much more Canadian than Chris Kamen is German as Kamen had never been to Germany before his involvement with the national team. It's a moot point as there will be no major FIBA qualification tournaments for Canada for two years and Bonner will be 33 then.

While were at it let's give Derozen citizenship too, whether he wants it or not. The NT needs him.
      Last edited by stretch; Sat Sep 10, 2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        BTW: Did anybody see the Sun article by Steve Buffery, where he tore a strip off Steve Nash because he hasn't represented Canada in 10yrs or so?
        Zach Lowe from SI.com straight calls Buffery out and makes him look like the idiot that he is.

The Point Forward: with Zach Lowe - Nash Doesn't Owe Team Canada Anything

Great Read. Its a shame an American needs to be the one to stick up for Nash. After all he's done.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
          I say bend the rules in Bonner's case. It's like horseshoes, close enough, give it the rubber stamp, get it done. Bonner is much more Canadian than Chris Kamen is German as Kamen had never been to Germany before his involvement with the national team. It's a moot point as there will be no major FIBA qualification tournaments for Canada for two years and Bonner will be 33 then.
          Or Ibaka is Spanish.
          Or McCalebb is Macedonian.
          Or Renaldo Balkman is Puerto Rican.

But I guess Canadian Citizenship is just in itself 100x harder to get than most other Nations.
          Which I guess is a good thing ... I wouldn't want to let just anybody in ...

But its the Red Rocket!! haha
          Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 10, 2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

But I guess Canadian Citizenship is just in itself 100x harder to get than most other Nations.
            Which I guess is a good thing ... I wouldn't want to let just anybody in ...
            I just happen to be born here, just lucky I guess. People with talent should get the fast track imo.

.....none of my ancestors ever had to give a thought about applying for citizenship.
            Last edited by stretch; Sat Sep 10, 2011, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I say bend the rules in Bonner's case. It's like horseshoes, close enough, give it the rubber stamp, get it done. Bonner is much more Canadian than Chris Kamen is German as Kamen had never been to Germany before his involvement with the national team. It's a moot point as there will be no major FIBA qualification tournaments for Canada for two years and Bonner will be 33 then.

While were at it let's give Derozen citizenship too, whether he wants it or not. The NT needs him.
              But Kaman has German blood in him (i.e. jus sanguinis or he is of German ancestry). Bonner doesn't have one drop of Canadian blood in him.
              Jus sanguinis applies both here and in Germany.

Comment

• “It’s very frustrating,” the head coach Leo Rautins said on Tuesday, after a Team Canada practice at Ryerson University. “I see a lot of Canadians who are less Canadian than Matt Bonner. His daughter’s Canadian. His wife’s Canadian. His grandfather’s Canadian. He’s got a home here. When he’s not playing for the San Antonio Spurs, he’s here (in Toronto).”

The main stumbling block seems to be the fact that Bonner, a native of Concord, N.H., spends most of the year in the United States. But he has no choice. He plays for San Antonio. Rautins said Canada Basketball has tried to make that point to the federal immigration ministry, but to no avail.

“Trust me, we’ve tried everything,” said Rautins. “I feel bad for Matt. I don’t know if there’s anybody who wants to play more (for Canada) than he does.”
                Source

Seems theres at least a 'drop' of Canadian Blood, as I've been saying.

But it seems its as Golden was saying. Bonner just isn't in the country enough. Which is kind of shetty.

Were Kamans parents born in or Citizens of Germany? Otherwise Jus Sanguinis doesn't apply. I don't believe. Unless its different in Germany.
                Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 10, 2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• The argument that was trying to be made about Bonner was that he spends the off season in Canada but can't spend the entire year here to to employment, he has a very rare job that only 400 people in the world have, but no exception could be made. If he was still a Raptor he probably would have been a citizen by now.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• By my count, if the NBA lockout wipes out all of next season, that would put Bonner up to about 32 months in Canada by the end of next summer, and then we'd need the lockout to last another four months or so. If Bonner spends all of that time in Canada, he should be set. Or Canada Immigration could stop sucking. That would be the easier solution.

Comment

LOL. And all the rest of the Young Gunz. Better get Weems before Lithuania does. Perhaps Bonner can swap citizenship with Michael Ignatieff (remember him?), who doesn't need his CDN citizenship anymore.

Comment

LOL. And all the rest of the Young Gunz. Better get Weems before Lithuania does. Perhaps Bonner can swap citizenship with Michael Ignatieff (remember him?), who doesn't need his CDN citizenship anymore.
                        Eh, he's teaching at UofT.

Comment

I know it was just a joke, but the worst part about Ignatief was that he was a horrible self promoter with little charisma. The guy has had an incredible life, and I'm certainly not going to begrudge the guy for living abroad as much as he has. Hell, if I had the opportunity to do so, I'd do it in a second. It wouldn't make me any less of a Canadian.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Valanciunas highlights with France, didn't see it posted.

Comment

• Lithuania vs Germany game starting right now. Valanciunas vs Kaman Nowitzky.

Comment

• Lithuania wins 84-75. Key players in the win were Jasikevicius and Valenciunas in the final quarter. Germany tied it up but Lithuania pulled away in the last couple minutes. Jonas scored most of his 15 points in the 4th, and also blocked a Nowitzki shot and had a few key rebounds and his 4th PF).

Comment

Working...
                                X