Everything EuroBasket 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurobasket wrote: View Post
    Is there anyone still not convinced who is currently the best player outside of NBA? The victory of Macedonia over Lithuania on their home court is nothing less than sensational for anyone who has ever followed European basketball, even as a casual observer, probably the biggest upset in the long history of the competition. Just to clarify, the national teams have right to grant a citizenship to one player only, so McCalebb is the only foreign born player on the Macedonian team. Even Spain, stacked with NBA players, has Ibaka. But regardless, Bo plays with most desire and passion of all of them, just a fearless guy who can play on any team, anywhere in the world. Again, he's not Kobe or Wade, but he can help any team to get a little bit better. He already received a medal from the President of Macedonia, and that was before the victory over Lithuania. The whole country will welcome them after the championship, no doubt about that, watch for the news reports, it will be unbelievable.

And to be an African American, at the same time the most popular athlete in a history of a country that's 100% Caucasian, just shows that "racial discrimination" is invented terminology of the "experts" and cry babies - if you are honest, work hard and give 100% of yourself in what you do, you will be admired regardless of your race. Bo is a national hero in Macedonia, on a level that's difficult to imagine for the people in North America, because the passion for sport is fanatic over there. If the Canadian players had half of the passion for the game that Bo has playing for an adopted country, we wouldn't be struggling and losing from countries we should beat 100 times out of 100 games.

Jonas played only 14 minutes and had 5 turnovers, which shows that he still has a lot to learn. But the kid has a potential, so hopefully there will be someone in the Raptors organization to point him in a right direction. We don't want him to "develop" the way Bargnani did.
    Unless JV has a personality change, he won't develop like Bargnani. JV seems to have a hunger and desire to be the best he can be. Bargnani................. nevermind.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Oh Bo ... we meet again. haha

Congrats to Macedonia. This is MASSIVE for that country.

Lithuania is probably smarting pretty bad right about now.

But how does the 'rule' work with Teams being able to grant citizenship to one player only Eurobasket?
      Is that for all FIBA teams? Or just certain teams that place the rule on themselves?

I think it should be wiped out completely, personally.
      Its no longer the national team if you have a foreigner leading the team to victory, who has zero ties to the country. In my opinion anyway.

I'm sure some Macedonian Basketball Player is pretty upset he didn't make the team because they'd rather have some American take over. Y'know?

Still, huge win for those guys, and Bo certainly deserves any and all credit for the win.
      Actually, the teams do not grant citizenship, the governments of the countries do, and if the player gets a citizenship, he can be eligible to play for the national team. As a talented athlete the Macedonian government granted him citizenship (similar to what Canada is doing with "skilled" immigrants). So, Bo is a Macedonian citizen and he has all the rights as any other Macedonian, including to be elected as a President Whenever he's not playing, he goes to Macedonia. Let's face it, he would never be selected to play for the USA team, so this is his chance to play international games on the highest level and play at the Olympic games next year (with this win Macedonia already qualified for the Olympics). FIBA is just limiting the number of naturalized citizens to one, otherwise there will be whole teams with American born players only.

Almost every country has one naturalized player, but Bo is really special, people in Macedonia accepted him as one of their own, and he pays them back every game with incredible effort and desire to win. And the young Macedonian players can only be happy to learn something from him. After the game the whole country came out to the city squares to celebrate the victory, including the President and the Prime Minister

Comment

FIBA is just limiting the number of naturalized citizens to one, otherwise there will be whole teams with American born players only.
        Interesting, I did not know this. But I guess it makes total sense. Thanks for that.

Eurobasket wrote: View Post
        Almost every country has one naturalized player, but Bo is really special, people in Macedonia accepted him as one of their own, and he pays them back every game with incredible effort and desire to win. And the young Macedonian players can only be happy to learn something from him. After the game the whole country came out to the city squares to celebrate the victory, including the President and the Prime Minister
        Ya I was looking around for some reaction to the win. Pretty moving stuff.
        Also pretty impressive that a country that big managed to qualify for the Olympics. Good for them.

Too bad Canada can't even do it ... Ugh.
        Any chance Bo wants to play here..? haha

Comment

Is there anyone still not convinced who is currently the best player outside of NBA? The victory of Macedonia over Lithuania on their home court is nothing less than sensational for anyone who has ever followed European basketball, even as a casual observer, probably the biggest upset in the long history of the competition. Just to clarify, the national teams have right to grant a citizenship to one player only, so McCalebb is the only foreign born player on the Macedonian team. Even Spain, stacked with NBA players, has Ibaka. But regardless, Bo plays with most desire and passion of all of them, just a fearless guy who can play on any team, anywhere in the world. Again, he's not Kobe or Wade, but he can help any team to get a little bit better. He already received a medal from the President of Macedonia, and that was before the victory over Lithuania. The whole country will welcome them after the championship, no doubt about that, watch for the news reports, it will be unbelievable.

And to be an African American, at the same time the most popular athlete in a history of a country that's 100% Caucasian, just shows that "racial discrimination" is invented terminology of the "experts" and cry babies - if you are honest, work hard and give 100% of yourself in what you do, you will be admired regardless of your race. Bo is a national hero in Macedonia, on a level that's difficult to imagine for the people in North America, because the passion for sport is fanatic over there. If the Canadian players had half of the passion for the game that Bo has playing for an adopted country, we wouldn't be struggling and losing from countries we should beat 100 times out of 100 games.

Jonas played only 14 minutes and had 5 turnovers, which shows that he still has a lot to learn. But the kid has a potential, so hopefully there will be someone in the Raptors organization to point him in a right direction. We don't want him to "develop" the way Bargnani did.
          Do European player agents make the same as Americans? And if Bo makes it to the NBA, will he still retain you?
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Do European player agents make the same as Americans? And if Bo makes it to the NBA, will he still retain you?
            Bahahaha. Gold.

Comment

• Just to clarify, Macedonia did not make it to the olympics yet. Only the top 2 teams get a direct birth, while the teams occupying the places 3-6 get access to a qualifying tournament. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FI...ing_Tournament

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Interesting, I did not know this. But I guess it makes total sense. Thanks for that.

Ya I was looking around for some reaction to the win. Pretty moving stuff.
                Also pretty impressive that a country that big managed to qualify for the Olympics. Good for them.

Too bad Canada can't even do it ... Ugh.
                Any chance Bo wants to play here..? haha
                Check out this clip from the celebration in Macedonia on the city square after the win over Lithuania, it's long past midnight local time, and everyone is out in the streets, including the President and all the Ministers in the government. There were huge fireworks which unfortunately are not in this clip. We need more passion and desire to play for the national team here in Canada, we have the talent and more money to invest in sports than anyone else, but the feeling of pride to play for your country is not something you can install in a player, he must have it in his heart. Except for Argentina and Brazil, we should always beat these other countries with 20+ pts. And I can't understand not giving the citizenship to Bonner, we give it to useless people who are milking the system for years and not to a great person like him, who already made enough to support his family for generations to come? We need some common sense in our government and immigration.

Comment

• Naturalized players are losing their interest to play in national teams after one tournament mostly. Whatever is the reason of them playing first time, they realize it requires too much hard work to do well, and they better choose don't waste two months of their summer vacation to fight for country they has no real feelings for. There are a lot of examples.

In McCalleb's case next possible tournament is Olympics, that's where people wants to play, so he will play there for the last, i'd say.

As for a road to Olympics, 3-6 form Europe will most likely take all last 4 last places in tournament before OG, unless, one team from America can step in. Can't see NZ, or anyone form Africa/Asia giving a fight, since top teams of those advanced directly.
                  Last edited by irgigi; Thu Sep 15, 2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    I'm sure Bo will be "Macedonian" for the rest of his life, he did something that will be remembered in Macedonia for generations to come. No American citizen has ever been admired anywhere like Bo is in Macedonia, true national hero, everyone is just amazed not with the quality of his game, but the effort he puts on the court, he is not afraid of anybody. We need players like him on the Raptors roster to build a championship team one of these days.

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
                      Naturalized players are losing their interest to play in national teams after one tournament mostly. Whatever is the reason of them playing first time, they realize it requires too much hard work to do well, and they better choose don't waste two months of their summer vacation to fight for country they has no real feelings for. There are a lot of examples.

In McCalleb's case next possible tournament is Olympics, that's where people wants to play, so he will play there for the last, i'd say.

As for a road to Olympics, 3-6 form Europe will most likely take all last 4 last places in tournament before OG, unless, one team from America can step in. Can't see NZ, or anyone form Africa/Asia giving a fight, since top teams of those advanced directly.
                      In most of the cases that's true, naturalized players play for one year and then they disappear. However, in McCalebb's case, if 500,000 people in Macedonia are chanting your name celebrating all night long after the victory, don't you think that you will develop some feelings for that country? It's not always about the money, sometimes the satisfaction and glory, the feeling of being admired, means much more than few more bucks in your account...

Comment

• Bo is the consensus MVP of Eurobasket and I wonder why he isn't playing in the NBA right now, but if and when he does come over he will lose some of that advantage he's had against the rather slow footed (in NBA terms) Euro guards (Dragic and perhaps Rubio are exceptions). Will he still be able to get to the rim against the likes of Rondo, Lawson, and Wall with athletic shot blockers like Howard, Bynum and McGee lurking?

Comment

• JV is done.

Lithuania finished with a win over Serbia.

JV - 13 mins, 8 points (3/5, 2/2), 6 rebs, 2 ast, 1 TO, 1stl, 1blk

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            JV is done.

Lithuania finished with a win over Serbia.

JV - 13 mins, 8 points (3/5, 2/2), 6 rebs, 2 ast, 1 TO, 1stl, 1blk
                            Overall, I'd say a very good tournament for Valanciunas. At 19, and his first senior men's tournament, he competed well against th big boys, including several NBA veterans. Very encouraging for Raptor fans. I've got to say the biggest thing I've been impressed with was the progression of his offensive game. For a guy who was apparently drafted for his defense and rebounding abilities and potential, he showed he's got a lot of scoring potential, too. That hook shot is going to become very dangerous if he continues to work on it.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Lithuania does still have one game left, tomorrow vs. Greece. The 5th place game, and between two teams that have already punched their ticket to the qualifying tournament. I'm not sure if it's meaningless or if it is has factor in seeding for the qualifying tournament, but I'm hopeful that they'll give JV a lot of minutes.

Comment

• There will be one more game for JV against Greece for 5th place tomorrow. Game itself doesn't really matter much, who cares 5th or 6th place it is. But Lithuania is playing home, so they will be more motivated. Fans likes JV and coach hopefully can give him more minutes.
                                Last edited by irgigi; Fri Sep 16, 2011, 03:07 PM. Reason: lol octo beat me and said the same :)

Comment

Working...
                                X