Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 234

Thread: Everything EuroBasket 2011

  1. #201
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like that he seems to be money at the FT line

  2. #202
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Kuh wrote: View Post
    There's a great photo which I think sums up the game well, only I can't figure out how to post it here. It's of Jonas rebounding in traffic over Dirk, who is trying to block him away from the basket while futilely reaching for the ball himself.

    It's in the gallery on the eurobasket2011.com site. It's the third picture I see when I put this fistful of a link into the site:

    http://www.eurobasket2011.com/en/photogallery.asp?compID={D166E39E-2323-4863-B229-76357A926FA2}&season=2011&roundID=7526&limit=100
    In the future, if you are trying to post a picture:

    -Right-click on the image you want to post.
    -Click on properties.
    -Copy everything in the 'Address(URL)' Area.
    -Then in your message window at RR, type [IMG] before the URL you copied, and put [/IMG] after it.

    (Even easier, click the button at the top of your message window, thats says "Insert Image" when you hover the mouse over it, and paste the URL into that. Its beside the Bold, Italics, Underline.)
    Last edited by Joey; Sun Sep 11th, 2011 at 11:46 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  3. #203
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Thanks, irgigi.

    That running hook at the beginning is solid as is 1:38 - both on Kaman.

    At 2:16 it would be nice if he could teach Bargnani that move (drop step back to the left hand).

    It is great to see him getting quality minutes in crunch time and performing.

    I didn't watch the game but who did Kaman get his 25 and 11 on (including 12/17 FG)?
    Mostly on another center Javtokas.

  4. #204
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting to see how similar Kanter and Valanciunas' numbers have been in the tournament.

    Both are playing around 17 minutes, with Kanter playing barely more. Kanter is hitting an efficient 59% from the field, but that's overshadowed by Valanciunas' 70% (yes, 70). Both grab around 3/4 rebounds, Kanter grabbing slightly more, even on the offensive glass. Valanciunas is averaging nearly double the blocks Kanter does, and scores more points. Overall, statistically Valanciunas is slightly better, but I guess you need to watch them play and I have only seen Valanciunas.

  5. #205
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JoePanini wrote: View Post
    Interesting to see how similar Kanter and Valanciunas' numbers have been in the tournament.

    Both are playing around 17 minutes, with Kanter playing barely more. Kanter is hitting an efficient 59% from the field, but that's overshadowed by Valanciunas' 70% (yes, 70). Both grab around 3/4 rebounds, Kanter grabbing slightly more, even on the offensive glass. Valanciunas is averaging nearly double the blocks Kanter does, and scores more points. Overall, statistically Valanciunas is slightly better, but I guess you need to watch them play and I have only seen Valanciunas.
    Thanks for that!! Was wondering what the comparative stats were at this point.
    Good to see JV is proving BC right.


    ADD One more reason why I dislike DraftExpress.com ... according to them, JV was drafted 4th overall by the Cavaliers. Weak DE. Weak.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Sep 12th, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  6. #206
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Lithuania's Roll Man"

    http://nbaplaybook.com/2011/09/12/mo...nias-roll-man/

    Nice little analysis of Lithuania's Pick and Roll with JV the beneficiary.

  7. #207
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jonas is not just hype.

    ESPN article here.

  8. #208
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lithuania Vs Macedonia will start in one hour. Quarterfinal. Important game. Macedonia has Bo McCalebb.

  9. #209
    Raptors Republic Rookie Eurobasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is there anyone still not convinced who is currently the best player outside of NBA? The victory of Macedonia over Lithuania on their home court is nothing less than sensational for anyone who has ever followed European basketball, even as a casual observer, probably the biggest upset in the long history of the competition. Just to clarify, the national teams have right to grant a citizenship to one player only, so McCalebb is the only foreign born player on the Macedonian team. Even Spain, stacked with NBA players, has Ibaka. But regardless, Bo plays with most desire and passion of all of them, just a fearless guy who can play on any team, anywhere in the world. Again, he's not Kobe or Wade, but he can help any team to get a little bit better. He already received a medal from the President of Macedonia, and that was before the victory over Lithuania. The whole country will welcome them after the championship, no doubt about that, watch for the news reports, it will be unbelievable.

    And to be an African American, at the same time the most popular athlete in a history of a country that's 100% Caucasian, just shows that "racial discrimination" is invented terminology of the "experts" and cry babies - if you are honest, work hard and give 100% of yourself in what you do, you will be admired regardless of your race. Bo is a national hero in Macedonia, on a level that's difficult to imagine for the people in North America, because the passion for sport is fanatic over there. If the Canadian players had half of the passion for the game that Bo has playing for an adopted country, we wouldn't be struggling and losing from countries we should beat 100 times out of 100 games.

    Jonas played only 14 minutes and had 5 turnovers, which shows that he still has a lot to learn. But the kid has a potential, so hopefully there will be someone in the Raptors organization to point him in a right direction. We don't want him to "develop" the way Bargnani did.

  10. #210
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh Bo ... we meet again. haha

    Congrats to Macedonia. This is MASSIVE for that country.

    Lithuania is probably smarting pretty bad right about now.


    But how does the 'rule' work with Teams being able to grant citizenship to one player only Eurobasket?
    Is that for all FIBA teams? Or just certain teams that place the rule on themselves?

    I think it should be wiped out completely, personally.
    Its no longer the national team if you have a foreigner leading the team to victory, who has zero ties to the country. In my opinion anyway.

    I'm sure some Macedonian Basketball Player is pretty upset he didn't make the team because they'd rather have some American take over. Y'know?

    Still, huge win for those guys, and Bo certainly deserves any and all credit for the win.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 14th, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

  11. #211
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eurobasket wrote: View Post
    Is there anyone still not convinced who is currently the best player outside of NBA? The victory of Macedonia over Lithuania on their home court is nothing less than sensational for anyone who has ever followed European basketball, even as a casual observer, probably the biggest upset in the long history of the competition. Just to clarify, the national teams have right to grant a citizenship to one player only, so McCalebb is the only foreign born player on the Macedonian team. Even Spain, stacked with NBA players, has Ibaka. But regardless, Bo plays with most desire and passion of all of them, just a fearless guy who can play on any team, anywhere in the world. Again, he's not Kobe or Wade, but he can help any team to get a little bit better. He already received a medal from the President of Macedonia, and that was before the victory over Lithuania. The whole country will welcome them after the championship, no doubt about that, watch for the news reports, it will be unbelievable.

    And to be an African American, at the same time the most popular athlete in a history of a country that's 100% Caucasian, just shows that "racial discrimination" is invented terminology of the "experts" and cry babies - if you are honest, work hard and give 100% of yourself in what you do, you will be admired regardless of your race. Bo is a national hero in Macedonia, on a level that's difficult to imagine for the people in North America, because the passion for sport is fanatic over there. If the Canadian players had half of the passion for the game that Bo has playing for an adopted country, we wouldn't be struggling and losing from countries we should beat 100 times out of 100 games.

    Jonas played only 14 minutes and had 5 turnovers, which shows that he still has a lot to learn. But the kid has a potential, so hopefully there will be someone in the Raptors organization to point him in a right direction. We don't want him to "develop" the way Bargnani did.
    Unless JV has a personality change, he won't develop like Bargnani. JV seems to have a hunger and desire to be the best he can be. Bargnani................. nevermind.

  12. #212
    Raptors Republic Rookie Eurobasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Oh Bo ... we meet again. haha

    Congrats to Macedonia. This is MASSIVE for that country.

    Lithuania is probably smarting pretty bad right about now.


    But how does the 'rule' work with Teams being able to grant citizenship to one player only Eurobasket?
    Is that for all FIBA teams? Or just certain teams that place the rule on themselves?

    I think it should be wiped out completely, personally.
    Its no longer the national team if you have a foreigner leading the team to victory, who has zero ties to the country. In my opinion anyway.

    I'm sure some Macedonian Basketball Player is pretty upset he didn't make the team because they'd rather have some American take over. Y'know?

    Still, huge win for those guys, and Bo certainly deserves any and all credit for the win.
    Actually, the teams do not grant citizenship, the governments of the countries do, and if the player gets a citizenship, he can be eligible to play for the national team. As a talented athlete the Macedonian government granted him citizenship (similar to what Canada is doing with "skilled" immigrants). So, Bo is a Macedonian citizen and he has all the rights as any other Macedonian, including to be elected as a President Whenever he's not playing, he goes to Macedonia. Let's face it, he would never be selected to play for the USA team, so this is his chance to play international games on the highest level and play at the Olympic games next year (with this win Macedonia already qualified for the Olympics). FIBA is just limiting the number of naturalized citizens to one, otherwise there will be whole teams with American born players only.

    Almost every country has one naturalized player, but Bo is really special, people in Macedonia accepted him as one of their own, and he pays them back every game with incredible effort and desire to win. And the young Macedonian players can only be happy to learn something from him. After the game the whole country came out to the city squares to celebrate the victory, including the President and the Prime Minister

  13. #213
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eurobasket wrote: View Post
    FIBA is just limiting the number of naturalized citizens to one, otherwise there will be whole teams with American born players only.
    Interesting, I did not know this. But I guess it makes total sense. Thanks for that.

    Quote Eurobasket wrote: View Post
    Almost every country has one naturalized player, but Bo is really special, people in Macedonia accepted him as one of their own, and he pays them back every game with incredible effort and desire to win. And the young Macedonian players can only be happy to learn something from him. After the game the whole country came out to the city squares to celebrate the victory, including the President and the Prime Minister
    Ya I was looking around for some reaction to the win. Pretty moving stuff.
    Also pretty impressive that a country that big managed to qualify for the Olympics. Good for them.

    Too bad Canada can't even do it ... Ugh.
    Any chance Bo wants to play here..? haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  14. #214
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eurobasket wrote: View Post
    Is there anyone still not convinced who is currently the best player outside of NBA? The victory of Macedonia over Lithuania on their home court is nothing less than sensational for anyone who has ever followed European basketball, even as a casual observer, probably the biggest upset in the long history of the competition. Just to clarify, the national teams have right to grant a citizenship to one player only, so McCalebb is the only foreign born player on the Macedonian team. Even Spain, stacked with NBA players, has Ibaka. But regardless, Bo plays with most desire and passion of all of them, just a fearless guy who can play on any team, anywhere in the world. Again, he's not Kobe or Wade, but he can help any team to get a little bit better. He already received a medal from the President of Macedonia, and that was before the victory over Lithuania. The whole country will welcome them after the championship, no doubt about that, watch for the news reports, it will be unbelievable.

    And to be an African American, at the same time the most popular athlete in a history of a country that's 100% Caucasian, just shows that "racial discrimination" is invented terminology of the "experts" and cry babies - if you are honest, work hard and give 100% of yourself in what you do, you will be admired regardless of your race. Bo is a national hero in Macedonia, on a level that's difficult to imagine for the people in North America, because the passion for sport is fanatic over there. If the Canadian players had half of the passion for the game that Bo has playing for an adopted country, we wouldn't be struggling and losing from countries we should beat 100 times out of 100 games.

    Jonas played only 14 minutes and had 5 turnovers, which shows that he still has a lot to learn. But the kid has a potential, so hopefully there will be someone in the Raptors organization to point him in a right direction. We don't want him to "develop" the way Bargnani did.
    Do European player agents make the same as Americans? And if Bo makes it to the NBA, will he still retain you?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  15. #215
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Do European player agents make the same as Americans? And if Bo makes it to the NBA, will he still retain you?
    Bahahaha. Gold.
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. #216
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just to clarify, Macedonia did not make it to the olympics yet. Only the top 2 teams get a direct birth, while the teams occupying the places 3-6 get access to a qualifying tournament. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_FI...ing_Tournament

  17. #217
    Raptors Republic Rookie Eurobasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Interesting, I did not know this. But I guess it makes total sense. Thanks for that.



    Ya I was looking around for some reaction to the win. Pretty moving stuff.
    Also pretty impressive that a country that big managed to qualify for the Olympics. Good for them.

    Too bad Canada can't even do it ... Ugh.
    Any chance Bo wants to play here..? haha
    Check out this clip from the celebration in Macedonia on the city square after the win over Lithuania, it's long past midnight local time, and everyone is out in the streets, including the President and all the Ministers in the government. There were huge fireworks which unfortunately are not in this clip. We need more passion and desire to play for the national team here in Canada, we have the talent and more money to invest in sports than anyone else, but the feeling of pride to play for your country is not something you can install in a player, he must have it in his heart. Except for Argentina and Brazil, we should always beat these other countries with 20+ pts. And I can't understand not giving the citizenship to Bonner, we give it to useless people who are milking the system for years and not to a great person like him, who already made enough to support his family for generations to come? We need some common sense in our government and immigration.


  18. #218
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Naturalized players are losing their interest to play in national teams after one tournament mostly. Whatever is the reason of them playing first time, they realize it requires too much hard work to do well, and they better choose don't waste two months of their summer vacation to fight for country they has no real feelings for. There are a lot of examples.

    In McCalleb's case next possible tournament is Olympics, that's where people wants to play, so he will play there for the last, i'd say.

    As for a road to Olympics, 3-6 form Europe will most likely take all last 4 last places in tournament before OG, unless, one team from America can step in. Can't see NZ, or anyone form Africa/Asia giving a fight, since top teams of those advanced directly.
    Last edited by irgigi; Thu Sep 15th, 2011 at 03:08 AM.

  19. #219
    Raptors Republic Rookie Eurobasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Do European player agents make the same as Americans? And if Bo makes it to the NBA, will he still retain you?
    I'm sure Bo will be "Macedonian" for the rest of his life, he did something that will be remembered in Macedonia for generations to come. No American citizen has ever been admired anywhere like Bo is in Macedonia, true national hero, everyone is just amazed not with the quality of his game, but the effort he puts on the court, he is not afraid of anybody. We need players like him on the Raptors roster to build a championship team one of these days.

  20. #220
    Raptors Republic Rookie Eurobasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    Naturalized players are losing their interest to play in national teams after one tournament mostly. Whatever is the reason of them playing first time, they realize it requires too much hard work to do well, and they better choose don't waste two months of their summer vacation to fight for country they has no real feelings for. There are a lot of examples.

    In McCalleb's case next possible tournament is Olympics, that's where people wants to play, so he will play there for the last, i'd say.

    As for a road to Olympics, 3-6 form Europe will most likely take all last 4 last places in tournament before OG, unless, one team from America can step in. Can't see NZ, or anyone form Africa/Asia giving a fight, since top teams of those advanced directly.
    In most of the cases that's true, naturalized players play for one year and then they disappear. However, in McCalebb's case, if 500,000 people in Macedonia are chanting your name celebrating all night long after the victory, don't you think that you will develop some feelings for that country? It's not always about the money, sometimes the satisfaction and glory, the feeling of being admired, means much more than few more bucks in your account...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •