The GOD thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    One can be an atheist in many ways. I am an atheist and I work in education in a so called 'problem district'. Over 50% of the students are Muslims. I never try to convince them that their religion is wrong or that they are wrong (in fact I stiffle all debats about politics in class as they usually take a bad turn very quickly). I don't think I'm arrogant to THINK that there is no god when I don't put it in people's face with a smug attitude.

On the other hand, don't you think it's bloody arrogant for believers to think that they have the right (true) religion and that the others are wrong? Yet, if they don't, they don't really believe in their religion.
    Tolerance is not the same as acceptance.
    First of all, in the pre-religion world, there were many fights amongst the tribes, just as there are between groups of apes. The killing percentages of those fights or mini-wars were enormous (much higher e.g. than killing percentages in the 20th century wars)
    Well that much is obvious. There wasn't much reading material (if there were any at all), on military strategy back then
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    "Modern Wars" account for probably 3% of All War and Conflict in Human History.

And even then, World War 1 & 2, though perhaps not Started by Religious Differences, were both fed by Religious Hatred and Genocide towards those of other Religious Beliefs.

Religion Feeds Hatred just as much as it fuels Love.
    They weren't. Granted, it was the assassination of a religious figure that started WW1, but it was ultimately about political differences.
    You're right about WW2 in that religion wasn't the primary motivating factor but it mattered little since the Jews were just a scapegoat for Hitler's government to further "racial purity".
    Last edited by Prime; Fri Sep 2, 2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
      Elaborate please, I don't get your point.

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
        i almost agreed with you, but decided to thesaurus.com it... and actually, it is the same.

Main Entry: tolerance
        Part of Speech: noun
        Definition: open-mindedness
        Synonyms: acceptance, altruism, benevolence, charitableness, charity, clemency, compassion, endurance, generousness, good will, grace, humanity, kindness, leniency, lenity, mercy, patience, sensitivity, sympathy, toleration, understanding
        Antonyms: bias, bigotry, disapproval, intolerance, prejudice

Comment

You can tolerate religion (like you are doing now) but accepting another religion is a different thing. However, if you are religious and another religion's teachings come into conflict with yours, it's only logical that you will dismiss the other.
          heinz57 wrote: View Post
          i almost agreed with you, but decided to thesaurus.com it... and actually, it is the same.

Main Entry: tolerance
          Part of Speech: noun
          Definition: open-mindedness
          Synonyms: acceptance, altruism, benevolence, charitableness, charity, clemency, compassion, endurance, generousness, good will, grace, humanity, kindness, leniency, lenity, mercy, patience, sensitivity, sympathy, toleration, understanding
          Antonyms: bias, bigotry, disapproval, intolerance, prejudice
          http://beyondbounds.org/2009/01/acce...-vs-tolerance/

Comment

Hey now, I agreed with you... But as has been well documented here, I google everything... And the thesaurus trumps random dude's blog post.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
              Hey now, I agreed with you... But as has been well documented here, I google everything... And the thesaurus trumps random dude's blog post.
              Well thesaurus.com also lists contest as a synonym for war. Good writing always beats out something written out of a thesaurus.

And that link was just to prove my point. If you want more references let me know.

Comment

I agree with Prime on this one. I think there is a difference. Even if slight.

The best way I can see to look at the difference is to bring it back to guys playing on the Raptors.

They tolerate the Shitty Weather of Canada. But they do not Accept it as they would the Nice Weather of Back Home.

Or I tolerate Dumb drivers. But I do not accept the fact that they should actually be on the road in the first place.
                Last edited by Joey; Fri Sep 2, 2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  "Modern Wars" account for probably 3% of All War and Conflict in Human History.

And even then, World War 1 & 2, though perhaps not Started by Religious Differences, were both fed by Religious Hatred and Genocide towards those of other Religious Beliefs.

Religion Feeds Hatred just as much as it fuels Love.
                  WWII was about race. The Nazi wanted to "cleanse" the earth of those they deemed not worthy to be part of the human race. They killed those of different race and sure they didn't like other religions but if you looked Jewish, you were as good as dead if you didn't flee. When they were rounding people up they weren't asking them if they were Christians.

Comment

Only God I pray to is the one and only, Based God.
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

who cares about religion. i say do what the hell you want if you want to.

the only problem i have with religion is indians and why the hell they have to smeel so bad. everybody else who realizes they themselves smell bad deals with it.

they even make fun of each other for smelling bad. russell peters confirms that.

the only problem i have with their turban is that it smells like a dirty diahrea diaper.

i'm not saying that out of disrespect that's honestly what it smells like.

and they also should not be allowed to wear all that stuff at water parks.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                        Only God I pray to is the one and only, Based God.
                        Man, that is funny. Based God is the spirit of Old Dirty Bastard trapped inside a guy with Autism.
                        Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Top 10 religious sayings:

10. Religious groups should stay out of politics; or be taxed
                          9. Reincarnation is making a comeback!
                          8. If You Are Born Again Do You Have Two Belly Buttons?
                          7. Religion provides a nice paved road of life, but going off road can be more interesting
                          6. God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to use one
                          5. Atheists are Beyond Belief
                          4. If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to the garage make you a car?
                          3.My Goddess Gave Birth To Your God
                          2. Neutrinos have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!
                          1. Come The Rapture Can I Have Your Car?
                          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                            Top 10 religious sayings:

10. Religious groups should stay out of politics; or be taxed
                            9. Reincarnation is making a comeback!
                            8. If You Are Born Again Do You Have Two Belly Buttons?
                            7. Religion provides a nice paved road of life, but going off road can be more interesting
                            6. God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to use one
                            5. Atheists are Beyond Belief
                            4. If going to church makes you a Christian, does going to the garage make you a car?
                            3.My Goddess Gave Birth To Your God
                            2. Neutrinos have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!
                            1. Come The Rapture Can I Have Your Car?
                            Thanks for the copypasta. It's delicious!

Letterman is displeased.

Comment

Working...
                            X