Horrible Russian Plane Crash Kills 43, Including a Group of NHLers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Russian Plane Crash Kills 43, Including a Group of NHLers

Tragedy has struck the hockey world again, this time in Russia and this time on a considerable scale.

From the AP:
    A Russian jet carrying a top ice hockey team crashed while taking off Wednesday in western Russia, killing at least 43 people and leaving two critically injured, officials said.

The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said the Yak-42 plane crashed immediately after leaving an airport near the city of Yaroslavl, on the Volga River about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northeast of Moscow. It was carrying 45 people, including 37 passengers and eight crew, and the ministry said all but two people were killed in the crash.

The crash occurred right after takeoff for a flight to Minsk, where Lokomotiv had a Kontinental Hockey League game scheduled against Dynamo Minsk on Thursday.

SovSport has more:
    Witnesses are reporting that the plane was reduced to a pile of charred metal. It is reported that the plane broke off in two and one half fell into water and another one on the ground.

Puck Daddy's Dmitry Chesnokov reports that "Lokomotiv official tells Sovetsky Sport 'everyone from the main roster was on the plane plus four players from the youth team.' Lokomotiv official said the entire team was on the plane because they were traveling for the 1st game of the season, a celebration."

Among the NHL alumni that lost their lives in the crash: Pavol Demitra(notes), a standout offensive player for the St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks; Ruslan Salei(notes), former Anaheim Ducks, Detroit Red Wings and Colorado Avalanche defenseman; Josef Vasicek, former New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes forward; Karel Rachunek, former New Jersey Devils defenseman; Karlis Skrastins(notes), former Dallas Stars defenseman; and Stefan Liv, Detroit Red Wings goalie prospect.

Other victims of the crash included head coach Brad McCrimmon, a former Detroit Red Wings and Philadelphia Flyers defenseman; assistant coach Alexander Karpovtsev, former New York Rangers defenseman; and assistant coach Igor Korolev, who played for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks among others.
    Source: Yahoo Sports

Such a shame...

I'm not a fan of hockey AT ALL... but i know who Demitra was.. mostly from the NHL video games though... he was dope in them... and Salei was a good competent defenseman you could get for cheap in trades

I noticed twitter was going a little mental yesterday because ESPN barely gave the crash any coverage at all, and didnt postpone the crosby presser out of respect... i have no opinion on the matter though

Comment

It's pretty pathetic but if it were pro baseball players involved in the crash ESPN would have covered nothing but the plane crash.

Comment

i actually got into a "KHL crash vs Sidney Crosby: Media priorities" argument with my ex.. Crosby being her "FAVOURITE player EVER".. (she hadn't ever watched hockey before 6 months ago)

i had to stop it promptly and question her value as a human being for thinking a dude's owie was more important than 40+ people dead.

Comment

Working...
        X