NBA.com: Raps are Top 5 overachievers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com: Raps are Top 5 overachievers

So the heads at NBA.com have come up with a scientifically proven, 100% foolproof formula for figuring out which teams are over achieving. Toronto is apparently # 3 in the league for overachieving. Take what you will from the article.

To figure out who's overachieving and who's underachieving, we use a formula for "expected wins," which takes a team's points scored and allowed to determine how many wins they should have in the amount of games they've played. A team that has scored 4,000 points and also given up 4,000 in 40 games should be 20-20. In that scenario, a 22-18 record is overachieving and an 18-22 record is underachieving.

Team W L Pt. Diff Exp. W Diff.
    New Orleans 20 17 -1.5 16.1 +3.9
    Chicago 16 20 -3.7 12.4 +3.6
    Toronto 19 20 -2.0 16.4 +2.6
    Memphis 19 18 -0.9 17.1 +1.9
    L.A. Clippers 17 20 -2.1 15.2 +1.8
    http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

This is how the American media works based on 15 years of me reading articles where they explain how horribly pathetic this team is. They kick and beat on the Raptors every year. If their comments turn out to be right they say "see, we were right about those pathetic Raptors". If they're wrong they say "We're not wrong about those pathetic Raptors, they overachieved". Plan B is in affect, no worries writers(notice how I did not say journalists), your backup plan will allow you to avoid taking accountability.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

It is just a formula, dude...nobody is looking to bash the Raptors or Canada :P

Anyway, the blowouts we had early against Atlanta and Charlotte, combined with most of our wins being close accounts for why Raptors are ranked so high.

Comment

Well maybe this is best for another thread but I can point out many many writers who just love to beat the Raptors down into the dirt every season but never admit they're wrong when they're wrong. Prime example is Charlie Rosen. His next positive article related to the Raptors will be his first. If they're doing bad he has lots to say but if they're doing well they don't exist.

Comment

I just think it's an overly simplified and flawed way to determine who is over achieving/underachieving. Is it even possible to determine something like that?

Comment

Even though there are numbers involved, the numbers are based on opinion. I actually think that when you look at the talent on the Raptors they are where they should be. The only way to bypass opinion is to take the final standings and the playoffs results from the past season and then use that to compare where teams are this season and even then its flawed but at least its not vulnerable to biases which obviously shine through in this article.

Personally I feel the Rockets are the biggest overachievers because they have done so much while not having their top player in the lineup and while having $20M tied up in dead weight McGrady.
            Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 14, 2010, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Comparing teams' records from last year to this year would eliminate bias, but like you said it still wouldn't work. There is too much player movement among the majority of teams to accurately compare records. Are the Raps overachieving? One could argue both ways. They are where they are.

Comment

If anything, they are underachieving...I look at our roster and think with a better coach we could be a 50 win team in the East.

Comment

Working...
                X