• Toronto-Indiana-Minnesota

Guess where Calderon goes?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3u72lee

Toronto: Webster, Ridnour, Posey, Pacers 2012 1st round pick
    Indiana: Barbosa, Pekovic
    Minnesota: Calderon, Rush

Why?

Minnesota:

Wolves get veteran PG to back up Rubio and teach him the ropes of the NBA (in Spanish, too). Rush is a good back up SG who can start if need be. He is more of a traditional SG rather than Minny's current Johnson/Webster who are more SF/SG. Personally, I think this makes Minnesota better with more depth at SG. They also save a few million extra in '11-12 which they could put towards shoring up the C position (Miller is not the most durable of players in recent years).

Indiana:

Indiana gets instant offense off the bench and depth to their big men. Indiana is expected to make a strong push for a starting, veteran PF (West or Nene) with Hansbrough the back up at PF. They have a lot of cap room. They will still need a back up C as the only C under contract for next year is Hibbert (Foster is really old and brittle and Solomon Jones is probably Europe bound). Indiana would have a deep back court with Collison, Hill, George, Barbosa, Price, Stephenson, and Jones.

Toronto:

This move is all about the future. They do address a need next year in 3 point shooting and Webster can play SG/SF. Ridnour is a veteran back up for Bayless with a decent contract in terms of production. Posey is a veteran presence with championship experience however he reportedly challenged Vogel's authority last season, so maybe he is bought out or maybe a change of scenery brings out the veteran role model in him. 'The first round draft pick is the key for dealing Barbosa. With Webster having an option for '12-13 he could be an expiring contract or he could develop in to the player so many have expected with his skills and talent (he is not 25 until December).

The key here is removing Calderon's contract to, possibly, creating financial flexibilty if Webster was waived while adding a first round draft pick.

I really don't hate Calderon (despite all the trade proposals) but he isn't a part of the long term. My thinking is the Raps are 2 strong draft picks in 2012 and a free agent signing next summer away from having a team that will compete for the playoffs in two years and could develop in to a contender shortly thereafter (ED/DD would be hitting 24, Amir 27, JV 22/23, draft picks 22 or so i.e. players would be hitting their primes together)

2011-12*:
    PG: Bayless, Ridnour
    SG: DD, Webster
    SF: JJ, Kleiza, Posey
    PF: ED, Amir
    C: Bargnani, Alabi

*high draft pick guaranteed

Not a bad trade but I would like to keep Barbosa. Calderon needs to be benched or traded. I've said this for a long time now. He's not our starter let alone a starter on the majority of teams out there.
    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
      Not a bad trade but I would like to keep Barbosa. Calderon needs to be benched or traded. I've said this for a long time now. He's not our starter let alone a starter on the majority of teams out there.
      I don't think you get a draft pick without Barbosa. If a first rounder could be had, I'd trade him. He can always be resigned in summer of 2012.

Comment

Working...
      X