• D

0 0%
  • F

2 1.85%
Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Val will start off next year in a similar way to how Enes Kanter is progressing. Although, Kanter is struggling with his shot he's contributing in rebounds and other ways. He'll eventually get his offensive game back to his norm, I see Val doing the same. He'll struggle against stronger NBA centers at first but his length and athleticism will help him get rebounds and FT's.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

he'll start off slightly better than kanter IMO

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    he'll start off slightly better than kanter IMO
    I think Valanciunas will get force-fed minutes next year (unlike Kanter this year). That alone should give Valanciunas significantly better rookie numbers in comparison.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think Valanciunas will get force-fed minutes next year (unlike Kanter this year). That alone should give Valanciunas significantly better rookie numbers in comparison.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Ed Davis is not getting any forced minutes atm.. Casey might have different vision. In his mind "Andrea is even really young guy", so he might not force JV start.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. Ed Davis is not getting any forced minutes atm.. Casey might have different vision. In his mind "Andrea is even really young guy", so he might not force JV start.
    True. The only possible difference I see are Andrea Bargnani and ED play the same position versus Valanciunas who might only face Jamaal Magloire and Solomon Alabi for competition for minutes (if you want to consider Amir a C then you could inclue him as well).

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    True. The only possible difference I see are Andrea Bargnani and ED play the same position versus Valanciunas who might only face Jamaal Magloire and Solomon Alabi for competition for minutes (if you want to consider Amir a C then you could inclue him as well).
    +1. I really feel for Ed. Even in the last game, the guy was really forcing everything on the offensive end. If he continues to do his 10 and 10 every night (if given more than 20 minutes), he should have no problems getting his slice. As for JV, I think it will be slow as well (not because of his skill but his build - the kid needs another 30 lbs +).
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

I don't think Amir, even with his added bulk, can be relied upon to man the middle for a full season. He'll plug the hole this year (along with Magloire), but those minutes have Valaciunas's name tattooed all over them next year.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Exactly.

I don't think Amir, even with his added bulk, can be relied upon to man the middle for a full season. He'll plug the hole this year (along with Magloire), but those minutes have Valaciunas's name tattooed all over them next year.
    Been thinking more about a big 4 rotation of Val, Bargs (if keeps up effort of this year, ED, and Amir with a 5th (Gray/Alabi/Magloire/George Costanza) could be quite solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Been thinking more about a big 4 rotation of Val, Bargs (if keeps up effort of this year, ED, and Amir with a 5th (Gray/Alabi/Magloire/George Costanza) could be quite solid.
    A 4 man Rotation at the 4-5 spot isn't really the best idea in my opinion.
    I'd rather use one of the 4 guys to acquire and fill another hole we have.

With 96 minutes between the PF and C spots, you're looking at 24mpg each. And thats with 4 guys, not including a 5th (Gray/Alabi etc.)

Now assuming JV and AB need closer to 30+mpg, say 32? So 64 between those two, leaves 32 mins for Ed and Amir.
    Neither is worth keeping if we're only playing them 16mpg each, so move one, give the other guy 25mpg, and leave 7mpg for Gray/Alabi/Magloire.

(Did all that math in my head. Impressive, eh? Hahah)
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 4th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    A 4 man Rotation at the 4-5 spot isn't really the best idea in my opinion.
    I'd rather use one of the 4 guys to acquire and fill another hole we have.

With 96 minutes between the PF and C spots, you're looking at 24mpg each. And thats with 4 guys, not including a 5th (Gray/Alabi etc.)

Now assuming JV and AB need closer to 30+mpg, say 32? So 64 between those two, leaves 32 mins for Ed and Amir.
    Neither is worth keeping if we're only playing them 16mpg each, so move one, give the other guy 25mpg, and leave 7mpg for Gray/Alabi/Magloire.

(Did all that math in my head. Impressive, eh? Hahah)
    I don't think JV will get 30+ mpg. That's a lot of minutes for a rookie, who can quickly hit that rookie wall. I'd say closer to 17/18 mpg, and even then that's a bit high in my opinion. Davis is only getting about 17 mpg this year, and he's a sophomore in the NBA.

So I think a 5 man rotation can work next year. 4 would be ideal, but that would be once JV gives us heavy minutes. And I'd think that would be in 2013/2014 not 2012/2013 - and who knows what our lineup will be like then. By then we could lose Amir, Bargs and Davis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't think JV will get 30+ mpg. That's a lot of minutes for a rookie, who can quickly hit that rookie wall. I'd say closer to 17/18 mpg, and even then that's a bit high in my opinion. Davis is only getting about 17 mpg this year, and he's a sophomore in the NBA.
    Though, as a rookie Ed Davis was playing 25 mpg.
    I don't think it's out of the question for Val to be playing 5 more per as a rookie.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Though, as a rookie Ed Davis was playing 25 mpg.
    I don't think it's out of the question for Val to be playing 5 more per as a rookie.
    Good point, however that was under Triano's system. I'm not sure if Casey would be as forgiving. I would love to be proven wrong though

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well right, i forgot the fact, they have only got Magloire and Gray for one year contract. And Ed is playing Bargs position. And it is obvious, for me at least, Bargs is dominating atm, which gives no minutes for Ed. Looking from this perspection, Val should get enough minutes next year being main center behind (or above Amir). it will depend for sure, how will he show himself..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    Well right, i forgot the fact, they have only got Magloire and Gray for one year contract. And Ed is playing Bargs position. And it is obvious, for me at least, Bargs is dominating atm, which gives no minutes for Ed. Looking from this perspection, Val should get enough minutes next year being main center behind (or above Amir). it will depend for sure, how will he show himself..
    Absolutely. I hope players, no matter the draft pick and hype have to earn their minutes. Obviously they should get cut some slack on mistakes but if the effort is not there, they shouldn't play in my opinion. I honestly don't think this would be an issue with ED.

Post Thanks / Like

L. Rytas loses to Zalgirls 82-72.

JV statline:

2 pts
    1/3 fg
    0/0 ft
    8 rebs
    0 ast
    1 stl
    0 blk
    4 to
    1 pf
    7 eff
    19:05 minutes

Not a great game for JV but the rebounding numbers are stellar.

Sonny Weems also played:

15 pts
    4/9 fg
    0/2 3pt
    7/10 ft
    3 reb
    3 ast
    2 stl
    0 blk
    1 to
    1 pf
    15 eff
    30:44 mins

Boxscore

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

L. Rytas loses to Zalgirls 82-72.

JV statline:

2 pts
    1/3 fg
    0/0 ft
    8 rebs
    0 ast
    1 stl
    0 blk
    4 to
    1 pf
    7 eff
    19:05 minutes

Not a great game for JV but the rebounding numbers are stellar.

Sonny Weems also played:

15 pts
    4/9 fg
    0/2 3pt
    7/10 ft
    3 reb
    3 ast
    2 stl
    0 blk
    1 to
    1 pf
    15 eff
    30:44 mins

Boxscore
    For once Sonny took care of the ball, and JV didn't lol, how ironic.

Post Thanks / Like

A blog dedicated to Jonas Valanciunas found via the Raptors.com Twitter feed.

http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com/

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Might want to retitle that blog

A blog dedicated to Jonas Valanciunas found via the Raptors.com Twitter feed.

http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com/
    In Lithuanian:
    1) yes, words end in "-as"
    2) unfortunately, "blogas" means "bad"

So this blog's title became "bad Val". Now I want to hear about good Val.

Post Thanks / Like

this is hypothetical. but....

if valanciunas is done before the raps are...

could we sign him to ten day contracts for the rest of the year or since he is under our control can he participate in team events and practices, prior to him being signed?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    this is hypothetical. but....

if valanciunas is done before the raps are...

could we sign him to ten day contracts for the rest of the year or since he is under our control can he participate in team events and practices, prior to him being signed?
    It wont happen you will have to wait until summer league to see him play.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Page 11 of 187 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread Information