Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    July 29th against Argentina
    Thank you for the date!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    And at this page you can see your local time of the games.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/court-sports/index.html
    Thanks for the links!

Post Thanks / Like

• Casey has been in regular touch with Jonas Valanciunas, the Lithuanian center Toronto selected with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 draft. Casey last saw Valanciunas a few weeks ago in Houston, where the Lithuanian national team was training ahead of an Olympic qualifying tournament.

Valanciunas spent last season playing professionally in Lithuania, but he’s coming to Toronto this season, and Casey says he expects Valanciunas to seize a major rotation role immediately. “He’s been playing against grown men,” Casey says, “and they eat their young over there.” If Valanciunas does snag that kind of role, both Amir Johnson and Ed Davis will be on notice, though the Raptors’ trade of James Johnson to Sacramento last week removed one body from the team’s big man competition. Johnson has played both forward positions, but Casey says the team projected him mostly as a small-ball power forward. Linas Kleiza has played that role before in both Denver and Toronto.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...otten-raptors/

I am going to need confirmation that Lithuanians eat their young.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What did Casey meant? Put pressure on them?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He meant that it's much harder for a young player in europe to get playing time, gain the coaches trust, some older guys play with a chip on their shoulder to give young players a lesson etc. ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Vykis wrote: View Post
    He meant that it's much harder for a young player in europe to get playing time, gain the coaches trust, some older guys play with a chip on their shoulder to give young players a lesson etc. ...
    This is a good way of putting his meaning, in my opinion.

RandomGuy: it was meant as a compliment, I believe, to the EuroLeague's approach to physically challenge young talent entering senior pro ranks.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, usually they do "eat their young" but it depends from coach as well, Džikič wasn't the guy who was putting a lot of pressure on him, he gave JV 3 months to join the starting role. The players where the ones, who "kicked the shit out of him" in 2010-2011 season. I just quoted Rockets player D-MO though, who said this after Summer League game (Played season in Euroleague).

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    In the beginning of the season, the year-long wait was for a reason. In which to most people was, JONAS VALANCIUNAS.

Ever since we drafted him, it was controversial, a topic so long talked about, that now we know he was the perfect pick. As we drafted him, the hype was built over time by BC, Dwane Casey, and the fans. Ever since, he's had 'pressure.'

That pressure was, he's going to lift the franchise back up, he will be the center point of our franchise, and much was put on him, that he will be our future star. Ever since, I've heard so little about the name, and why?

The moves we made, signing Landry Fields, the chase for Steve Nash, the acquisition of Kyle Lowry, Demar Derozan to join USA's select team, our flexibility (which we really haven't used too much of), Terrence Ross and Quincy Ass via draft, yet to know, Jonas Valanciunas will be making his way.

He seems to have become the last train on the ride, the one friend who is extremely quiet, ever since we drafted him, things have been quiet about him.

The point of this thread? Well, didn't we have such high expectations of Jonas, and he was the only promising thing to wait throughout another sad season? Now that he's coming over, as much as he still is hyped, it hasn't been at the magnitude that we once experienced during the beginning of the season.
    Whether this will be good or bad, this pressure is going to be there as soon as he steps on the NBA hardwood.

Now my question to you is, since the hype and 'advertising' has died down to a controllable level, is this the best for him as a player starting his career and as a franchise? Because the guy has gone through a lot in the NBA already, without even playing a single NBA game. I just feel that "the keys to the car" and Modell's employee of the day seem to have taken over the hype.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...s-valanciunas/
    Huh?
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of you doubted me when I said Jonas' twitter account was @jvalanciunas

I was just browsing the RaptorsPR twitter when I saw this

RaptorsPR
    ‏@RaptorsPR

No, it is fake. Official account is @jvalanciunas. "@CaptMaverick85: @Raptors @RaptorsPR is this a legit account @J_Valanciunas ?"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9vuViOqFXXI
    some JV highlights from last season

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't realize how long JV is. If he ever develops a mid range shot, it will be hard to block. Also like how he keeps his blocks inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Krix wrote: View Post
    Didn't realize how long JV is. If he ever develops a mid range shot, it will be hard to block. Also like how he keeps his blocks inbound.
    From what I've seen from various highlight mixes, he does have a mid-range jumper. However, the consistency of his jumper is yet to be determined...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

From what i saw he doesnt have confidence in his midrange shot, thats probably because he was always asked to play like a "true" center (playing inside etc.) i think with practice and with in game succes his shot will improve, because he has a good shot technique and a great FT percentage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Huh?
    +1

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    From what I've seen from various highlight mixes, he does have a mid-range jumper. However, the consistency of his jumper is yet to be determined...
    A look at his offensive skill set here:

Looks like a decent passer as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    A look at his offensive skill set here:

Looks like a decent passer as well.
    Does that mean that we have to call Bargnani and Valanciunas the European Connection? :P

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Friendly game Russia - Lithuania 101-79
    Valanciunas:
    12 pts (6/8 FG, 0/1 FT) most in the team
    3 reb
    1 block
    1 TO
    2 fouls
    21:10 minutes
    Boxscore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    Friendly game Russia - Lithuania 101-79
    Valanciunas:
    12 pts (6/8 FG, 0/1 FT) most in the team
    3 reb
    1 block
    1 TO
    2 fouls
    21:10 minutes
    Boxscore
    What really wowed me about this game is that Lithuania lost by 22 points and Valanciunas was +4 in 21 minutes (5th in minutes played). Didn't watch the game but that is impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    What really wowed me about this game is that Lithuania lost by 22 points and Valanciunas was +4 in 21 minutes (5th in minutes played). Didn't watch the game but that is impressive.
    But of all the stats that were given, the one that really stood out was his 3 rebounds for 21 minutes of play. I'm hoping that this is only a one game thing, but I was hoping for at least 5 boards with 21 minutes for a guy his size. On the more positive side, I really like how he only had 2 fouls that game. Hopefully he can be able to manage his fouls in the NBA as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Lithuania vs Russia friendly game. Watching Valanciunas in this game, it is clear that he needs some work, but he is a player... just gets it done. The boxscore didn't do justice and his boxscore was pretty good for a young kid playing against a good Russian team (Mozgov is the backup Centre). There was an impressive play in the game where JV outworks Mozgov for an offensive rebound, putback and foul.

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Page 49 of 199 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast

Thread Information