0 0%
  • F

2 1.90%
Page 82 of 172 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3424

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is why people seem to think Jonas would walk into the NBA and have an immediate defensive impact? I'd like to believe that this organization and those in the media who referred to Jonas being a quality defensive player were talking down the road (if not, I question the wisdom of their statements).

Very few rookies are anything but defensive liabilities. A combination of adjusting to the new speed and style of game, lack of experience and lack of NBA strength almost always means rookies are going to take more away on the defensive end than they add. Even some of the greatest defenders and superstars in the league right now, LBJ and Dwight Howard, hurt their teams in their rookie year.

We are seeing this with Jonas right now. He is a net negative on D (+/-), opponents are playing at a near all-star level against him (PER of approx 20), and his defense rating is sitting below the team average (107 vs 106) and below the league average (104).

This isn't Jonas bashing... this is, as Matt52 said, rookie life. We will likely see an improvement by years end (although sometimes those rookie walls hit players pretty hard). Most importantly though what we want to see is growth and a marked improvement next year, and then ideally a significant impact in his 3rd year.

This year though is all about experience. Its on the job training.

What I would like to see is Jonas' minutes maximized (although capped at no higher than 30). Allow him to use all his fouls in a game if needs be. But this team has 2 philosophies that, as it was in 2006/7, are not running parallel. Win games now and "develop" what is hopefully a future core peice of this franchise. While its not impossible to do, its highly unlikely both will take place simultaniously.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

From what i have seen so far this year JV's biggest problem this year is that he cant get good defensive positions in the post and stronger players capitalise on their deep positioning in the painted area, with a simple jumphook/move etc

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV is going to get stronger. Thats really all he needs right now. His development is on track.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    ...We will likely see an improvement by years end (although sometimes those rookie walls hit players pretty hard). ...
    Simply because of his play in multiple leagues in Europe plus Olympics practice and play, I don't think coming into the NBA will be as much of a shock as if he was coming from the NCAA.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie wall = NBA referees ...
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Casey said flying V and Ross have earned more minutes yay
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Casey said flying V and Ross have earned more minutes yay
    Souce? I like this I really think that Ross can be that constantly be that spark off the bench. I really feel that his shot hasn't been on point because he doesn't know we his minutes are coming. I feel if he knows he going to get a certain amount of minutes a night he can settle in and play to his capability. If he plays more minutes tonight I predict 10+ points tonight.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Souce? I like this I really think that Ross can be that constantly be that spark off the bench. I really feel that his shot hasn't been on point because he doesn't know we his minutes are coming. I feel if he knows he going to get a certain amount of minutes a night he can settle in and play to his capability. If he plays more minutes tonight I predict 10+ points tonight.
    I think it comes down to shot selection for Ross. Not a big fan of the one-dribble-pullup-long-two he's borrowed from Bargnani's bag of tricks.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I think it comes down to shot selection for Ross. Not a big fan of the one-dribble-pullup-long-two he's borrowed from Bargnani's bag of tricks.
    Yeah Ross is settling way too much right now. Get to the rim, use your athleticism. Obviously it's gonna be harder for him without the strength, but he has to start trying to get something towards the rim.

Also, he would probably be better spot-shooting than trying to create.

I'm expecting him to be more of a 3-&-D guy right now.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's his shot been doing it since college. If I was Casey I wouldn't try to change him too much. His one of those guys that thinks that he can make any shot at any time. If try handcuff him I feel that can stunt his development. He has the potential to be a serious shot maker. One that even makes well contested one. Think of a Nick Young that plays good D.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. He had his shot blocked a couple times because of this. He needs to drive every now and then, if only to keep the defense honest.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude had that shot for a while...

I remember it even being pointed out in SL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...KsZDcqQ#t=122s
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I think it was Wolstat at the Sun.

I can't remember where I read it today but I did read it as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Holly MacKenzie ‏@stackmack

JV, when asked how his leg feels today: "Everything is okay, I feel good, thank you. How do you feel today?"
    Retweeted by Eric Koreen

lol - how often do you see that response in professional sports!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the first 13 games, I think JV is going to be the future of this team. As it stands right now, the only thing keeping him from already being a very good center is lack of strength against some of the really big guys in the league. He'll fill out as he matures more. Add that to improving skills and I think he's going to be a star.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    lol - how often do you see that response in professional sports!
    What a genuine kid!

I mean look at that smile!
    <-----
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully he can develop into a franchise center piece. Like Hakeem or David robinson

Raptors Republic Starter Mindlessness's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Hopefully he can develop into a franchise center piece. Like Hakeem or David robinson
    Whoa, not so fast. I mean JV will be good, but I'm predicting a dominant all-star centre, not a HOF'er, at least not at this point. I think one of the other threads pointed to him being something like Andrew Bogut, with fundamentals that will remind you of Duncan. What it said was that he'd be a top 3-5 centre, and a very good one at that.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas over the last 4 games including the Pistons game where he played injured:

14.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.3 bpg
    FG% 63.8 FT% 80.0%
    32.5 minutes/game

Really good, not only for a rookie!

Post Thanks / Like

Listen Hall of Famer is a different Tier that you can never really tell in a rookie season. Tyreke Evans had records and statistics of most HOF as a rookie, but is doubtful to be that good.

Dwight though started more like JV, and may still have a chance at a HOF nod.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Thread Information