View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    29 26.61%
  • B

    61 55.96%
  • C

    17 15.60%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    2 1.83%
Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3860

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #3061
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JV will get there.... he needs time. He's a stiff right now however and sometimes he needs pine more than PT.

    This isn't complicated.

    Where some posters are a bit puzzled is when he IS playing well, has it going early, and he gets yanked and tossed into chill mode for 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why a coach wants to snuff a guy when he is heating up, but if there is a knock I have with casey, its that..... he does it with ross too.... hell he even shat on him for dropping 51

    its a bit of a mystery

  2. #3062
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,959
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    JV will get there.... he needs time. He's a stiff right now however and sometimes he needs pine more than PT.

    This isn't complicated.

    Where some posters are a bit puzzled is when he IS playing well, has it going early, and he gets yanked and tossed into chill mode for 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why a coach wants to snuff a guy when he is heating up, but if there is a knock I have with casey, its that..... he does it with ross too.... hell he even shat on him for dropping 51

    its a bit of a mystery
    i think the dropping 51 thing was because the team basically stopped playing defense (and maybe ross did too). in an interview he said that night felt more like a pickup game to him and it was just like playing for fun. well it shouldn't. it should feel like a professional matchup because thats what it was.

  3. #3063
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    whatever.
    its game, and its fun and he was lighting it up.

  4. #3064
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I generally agree with the bold. Again, as has been said in some posts over the last few days, it's not the quick hook that's as infuriating as the lack of follow-up minutes. When it's deserved, fine. Though sometimes it's definitely not. But also give the kid the chance to follow up bad stints with good ones. And reward him for good ones. It's good for confidence and developing a comfort zone on the court if a guy knows he'll get at least certain minutes with regularity. It doesn't have to be a lot. Casey benches him for 18 minutes at a time sometimes...At least give the kid 2-4 minutes in the 2nd/4th quarter just to see how he responds, and again, get him used to a rhythm and regular role.

    And yeah, I really dislike +/- based stats in basketball.

    2 minutes doesn't really give the guy any time to get into the game. Once the 4:30 mark has passed in the second, unless one of the other bigs got in foul trouble then there really is not point to put him back in. I suggested the 7 minute mark but maybe that is a bit much (maybe only if he is playing well with little fouls)....Casey should at least try and get him in before 5 though regardless of how we are playing.

  5. #3065
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    2 minutes doesn't really give the guy any time to get into the game. Once the 4:30 mark has passed in the second, unless one of the other bigs got in foul trouble then there really is not point to put him back in. I suggested the 7 minute mark but maybe that is a bit much (maybe only if he is playing well with little fouls)....Casey should at least try and get him in before 5 though regardless of how we are playing.
    I mostly meant that if he say, still is very obviously struggling, you don't have to leave him out that long.

  6. #3066
    Raptors Republic Rookie Garbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
    I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one area we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shots at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
    Last edited by Garbo; Sun Mar 16th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

  7. #3067
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
    I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one are we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shot at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
    Agree with this. I watched DeMar, on three possessions in a row it seemed, drive into the left side of the paint, drawing three defenders to him, leaving JV wide open for a little jumper or easy drive, and then put up a contested shot that missed. Don't know what the kid has to do to get some respect from DeMar, But DD isn't passing to him.

  8. #3068
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    8,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
    I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one area we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shots at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
    The number culprit for this is Demar DeRozan! Every game he has multiple chances to pass to JV but fails to do so and looks him off! He's been doing this all year and several of us have noticed this

  9. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  10. #3069
    Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really just want to know why he gets looked off so many times. Only person that passes to him in those situations is Amir lol

  11. #3070
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Kyle has stretches where he regularly looks for him in those situations, but not always.

  12. #3071
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    sometimes it's funny how predictable Raptors will be in games, first qtr, feed JV, throw the ball inside, second quarter bench, all the rest of the game Derozan and Lowry try to fill their stat sheet, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, they are the best players in this team, just come on, mix it up at least a lil' bit... It's not even funny anymore how predictable our offense can be.
    #FREE

  13. #3072
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It was hard watching JV only get one post up against a Morris twin , not taking an advantage over the size difference is one of the factors deciding we played Phoenix's type of game and didn't force them to adjust and slow down.

  14. #3073
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One thing that Leo said last night was a good thought to hold re: JV.

    He's a 21 year old kid who is a starting center on a team that is third in the East and is ranked 12th in the league. That's pretty good. And considering how his minutes are managed, and how often he gets overlooked on offense (see above) he is doing pretty well.

  15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  16. #3074
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    One thing that Leo said last night was a good thought to hold re: JV.

    He's a 21 year old kid who is a starting center on a team that is third in the East and is ranked 12th in the league. That's pretty good. And considering how his minutes are managed, and how often he gets overlooked on offense (see above) he is doing pretty well.
    It is always bittersweet when Leo makes a good point
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  17. Like stooley, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  18. #3075
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is always bittersweet when Leo makes a good point
    HaHaHaHa. Too true. Even my wife recognizes his bullshit now.

  19. #3076
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    Today I watched the game with the Phoenix commentators and they mentioned in the third that Jonas must be frustrated. I'm paraphrasing but it was something like, "Valenciunas is frustrated. Of course he is! He had an impressive first quarter and probably had his mind set on having a great game but he is continuously looked off in the post by his teammates."
    I love watching the Raptors right now, but this is one area we need to improve on. Jonas is not a stiff on offence. He makes his shots at an impressive clip, he works hard to get good post position and he makes good decisions when he gets the ball down low. He doesn't need to be babied, but for the sake of the team he needs more touches.
    I didn't get a chance to watch the entire game, but JV looked good in the first quarter. I can only think that he got yanked because Phoenix was running up the score and we needed to keep up while getting quicker bigs on the floor to try and slow down the scoring. It's not always JV's fault as to why he is not played. Sometimes it's done for tactical reasons. Whether those tactics work or not is another topic all together.

  20. #3077
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He didn't really get Yanked, he was out there plenty and from what I saw, Phoenixes small lineup caused him little trouble defensively. The one time I had a "omg Casey wtf are you doing" moment was when he started the fourth with Novak and Hayes up front (lolwut) but he quickly realised that was awful and brought JV back.
    It was more the guys stopped looking for him.

  21. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  22. #3078
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    london ontario
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its time to move on from this joke, we need to look for a starting C in the draft,
    I been singing and rapping I make a killin' in both If i had to choose a Jackson man I'm feelin' like Bo ~ king drizzy

  23. #3079
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote UnderdogRaptors wrote: View Post
    its time to move on from this joke, we need to look for a starting C in the draft,
    Only thing that's a joke is that comment

  24. Like isaacthompson liked this post
  25. #3080
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    london ontario
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    edit: double post
    I been singing and rapping I make a killin' in both If i had to choose a Jackson man I'm feelin' like Bo ~ king drizzy

Page 154 of 193 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 164 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •