0 0%
  • F

2 1.80%
Page 185 of 197 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 3926

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV stats in exhibition games ( from basketnews.lt )

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Would like to see more assists. I recall a post where someone mentioned he was passing out of the post and his team mates were missing badly.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Would like to see more assists. I recall a post where someone mentioned he was passing out of the post and his team mates were missing badly.
    Well, Lithuania guards move a ball A LOT. It feels like extra pass is must action for them Also, I'm not sure how many mins he averaged, but I have a feeling it's below 25 mins a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

67% from the Field?? 81% from the Line?! That's a man that can't be stopped.

Blocks are LOW though.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    67% from the Field?? 81% from the Line?! That's a man that can't be stopped.

Blocks are LOW though.
    Maybe the opponents were just too scared to shoot near JV and elected for the more dignified result of the shot clock violation rather than get royally stuffed

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Maybe the opponents were just too scared to shoot near JV and elected for the more dignified result of the shot clock violation rather than get royally stuffed
    Threw themselves on their swords as it were. I buy it.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea the blocks are the only thing I'm worried about. He should have a least 1 block. But the assists don't worry me too much because he is moving the ball and passing out of double teams fairly well. I think it's either his passes are the hockey assist or guys aren't hitting shots.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been watching the games, but isn't is safe the say, that many of the teams are perimeter teams, with big men that can't match up to JV, which causes them to constantly shoot the Long 2/Threes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phiLLy wrote: View Post
    I haven't been watching the games, but isn't is safe the say, that many of the teams are perimeter teams, with big men that can't match up to JV, which causes them to constantly shoot the Long 2/Threes?
    I've only watched a couple of games and not even the full game so I'm not sure. But you are right there are a lot of perimeter shots being taken from what I can remember. But I did read somewhere that Lithuania hasn't played that great of defense and Jonas isn't helping much on that front. I was hoping Jonas' defense would improve because I think that's a big reason why Casey doesn't play him enough at the ending of games. 2Patt and Amir are much better defensively than Jonas and Amir.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Impressive and efficient numbers on offense. Hate to complain, but rebounds and block shots are really low and I would think that is what the Raptors want from him this season more than the offense. Small sample size anyway, and doesn't accurately reflect what his season will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Impressive and efficient numbers on offense. Hate to complain, but rebounds and block shots are really low and I would think that is what the Raptors want from him this season more than the offense. Small sample size anyway, and doesn't accurately reflect what his season will be.
    The rebounds I think more have to do with the limited minutes he's played. But the block shots can definitely improve. As long as he's altering shots and in the right place at the right time I'm good though

Post Thanks / Like

Blocks are not a good indicator of defense.

Look at Tyson chandler. 5 of last 7 years averaged 1.1 blk per game with outliers being 1.4 and 1.2.

Now are there great defensive players who block shots? Of course. But hardly tell tale sign of defensive contribution.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting matchup in the first game on Saturday with Valanciunas and Gustavo Ayon. Ayon was MVP of Fiba Americas tournament last summer.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched all of them games... JV didn't play too many minutes over the last couple of games, so his averages went down considerably. The coach had to figure out who to cut, so other guys got lots of PT.

Also, in most games, over 50% of the opponents shot attempts were threes. Rebounds were long and were collected by guards and forwards mostly. In those games, I think JV had more offensive boards than defensive ones.

The lithuanian team is really big in general, rarely do you see opponents taking it to the rim against them. It's mostly threes, long twos and floaters. Not much to block.

But that doesn't mean JV was great on defense. His positioning and awareness have improved considerably. He's fouling a lot less. I think he never collected more than 3 fouls, and most of them were smart or necessary fouls. But he still get's a little lost on rotations and leaves his man too quickly when he thinks his teammate needs help. What doesn't help is that in international ball a lot of bigs like the outside shot and as soon as JV is drawn out to the perimeter, he really looks out position and this is were they come up with smart quick plays for guards who take it to the rim and JV just doesn't get back in time for rim protection...

Offensively he looked dominate throughout all of the games though. It's like he flips on the switch whenever he wants and scores like 10 points in a row. Then the team goes back to experimenting different offensive sets... Can't wait for the real games to begin!

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

speaking of the last game, this move by dragic was pretty slick

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    speaking of the last game, this move by dragic was pretty slick

very underrated player

17. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Watched all of them games... JV didn't play too many minutes over the last couple of games, so his averages went down considerably. The coach had to figure out who to cut, so other guys got lots of PT.

Also, in most games, over 50% of the opponents shot attempts were threes. Rebounds were long and were collected by guards and forwards mostly. In those games, I think JV had more offensive boards than defensive ones.

The lithuanian team is really big in general, rarely do you see opponents taking it to the rim against them. It's mostly threes, long twos and floaters. Not much to block.

But that doesn't mean JV was great on defense. His positioning and awareness have improved considerably. He's fouling a lot less. I think he never collected more than 3 fouls, and most of them were smart or necessary fouls. But he still get's a little lost on rotations and leaves his man too quickly when he thinks his teammate needs help. What doesn't help is that in international ball a lot of bigs like the outside shot and as soon as JV is drawn out to the perimeter, he really looks out position and this is were they come up with smart quick plays for guards who take it to the rim and JV just doesn't get back in time for rim protection...

Offensively he looked dominate throughout all of the games though. It's like he flips on the switch whenever he wants and scores like 10 points in a row. Then the team goes back to experimenting different offensive sets... Can't wait for the real games to begin!
    Good to hear!

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Blocks are not a good indicator of defense.

Look at Tyson chandler. 5 of last 7 years averaged 1.1 blk per game with outliers being 1.4 and 1.2.

Now are there great defensive players who block shots? Of course. But hardly tell tale sign of defensive contribution.
    It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

For someone who has long supported/defended DD, a player it took 5 years to really come into his own, and one who's still average defensively, you seem to really lack patience with Jonas, who's only played 2 years, and is playing a much more difficult position especially defensively.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    For someone who has long supported/defended DD, a player it took 5 years to really come into his own, and one who's still average defensively, you seem to really lack patience with Jonas, who's only played 2 years, and is playing a much more difficult position especially defensively.
    On a nightly bases in the NBA I think DD has a harder match than JV. Also the last 5 year that I've been defending DD I didn't defend his defence. Also his an above average athlete. So there's always hope of he'll become a +defender.

@Chr1st1anL

Page 185 of 197 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 183 184 185 186 187 195 ... LastLast

Thread Information