0 0%
  • F

2 1.85%
Page 186 of 192 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 184 185 186 187 188 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,720 of 3829

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I don't think JV will ever be an elite defender at the 5 spot, I do feel he will be slightly better than average. Strong enough to defend post-ups one on one, and agile enough to hedge and recover on pick and rolls. If he can learn defensive rotations as a team player he will not be a liability at that end.

Due to his potential offensive ability, I expect him to be one of the top all around centers in the league in the next few years.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

2. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I'm not going to judge a centre who is coming into his third year and write him off.

He's not elite rim protector right now. But he's better than Al Jefferson, Cousins and Drummond

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

Tough to block shots and coral long rebounds against a lot of 3s and long 2s.

JV is just turned 22. If you've already placed limits on him then any improvements will surely be a welcome surprise, no?

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    yeah I'm not going to judge a centre who is coming into his third year and write him off.

He's not elite rim protector right now. But he's better than Al Jefferson, Cousins and Drummond
    aren't you just looking at opposing FG attempts at the rim? if you look at opposing FGM which makes more sense, jonas is worse than those 3.
    Last edited by iblastoff; Tue Aug 26th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    aren't you just looking at opposing FG attempts at the rim? plus that data is per game, which jonas definitely plays less minutes than those 3 guys.
    Yeah, better to look at opponent FG% at the rim. If you narrow to players who a) played 30+ games and b) defended at least 7 FGA's at the rim per game (Jonas defended 8.9), Jonas is 15th (Amir is 8th, Cousins is 14th, Drummond is 18th). There are 26 players in the sample, so Jonas is sitting right about average already.

7. Like OldSkoolCool, MixxAOR liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    aren't you just looking at opposing FG attempts at the rim? if you look at opposing FGM which makes more sense, jonas is worse than those 3.
    I just sorted it by Opposing FGA. I looked at FGP. If you look at FGM than Serge Ibaka is just as good as Drummond. But that's not the case if you're looking at FGP.
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Tue Aug 26th, 2014 at 08:33 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On a nightly bases in the NBA I think DD has a harder match than JV.
    Who's stuck defending all the blow by's? Jonas is the last line of defence and is often stuck doing all the dirty work. If the rotations aren't perfect his man is left open. Fives have the hardest position in any defensive scheme. He'll get better. He may not block a lot of shots, but as long as the shots are altered then he is doing his job. I think shot blocking is totally over rated. The true sign of defence is contesting shots, making each attempt more difficult, or even forcing them to pass because a shot just isn't there.

10. Like Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Who's stuck defending all the blow by's? Jonas is the last line of defence and is often stuck doing all the dirty work. If the rotations aren't perfect his man is left open. Fives have the hardest position in any defensive scheme. He'll get better. He may not block a lot of shots, but as long as the shots are altered then he is doing his job. I think shot blocking is totally over rated. The true sign of defence is contesting shots, making each attempt more difficult, or even forcing them to pass because a shot just isn't there.
    Never mind the fact that Ross, JJ, Fields, and likely Bruno will be guarding the better wing.

Regarding bold: totally agree. You miss the block and your man is likely putting in the putback. Being able to contest and still be in a position to rebound is the ultimate goal.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

12. Like iblastoff liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon, Marc Gasol is thought of as one of the best defensive players in the league and he doesn't have the athletecism that JV does. Granted Gasol has a higher basketball IQ than JV now as well as when he first came into the league, but more experience will solve that issue for JV. He's going to be good as long as he stays hungry.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy's 22 years old guys.. C'mon now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    C'mon, Marc Gasol is thought of as one of the best defensive players in the league and he doesn't have the athletecism that JV does. Granted Gasol has a higher basketball IQ than JV now as well as when he first came into the league, but more experience will solve that issue for JV. He's going to be good as long as he stays hungry.
    Don't forget gasol was 24 when he came into league and will be 30 this year. Where will JV be in another 2 and 7/8 years? I can't wait to find out.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post

Hahaahah. I'm using that as my new avatar. That's hilarious!!!
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG...really???

Post Thanks / Like

He looks 16.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Don't forget gasol was 24 when he came into league and will be 30 this year. Where will JV be in another 2 and 7/8 years? I can't wait to find out.
    I agree. Experience is a big part of what improves basketball IQ, so no need to put him in a box and say he'll never be this or that. 5 years from now if he hasn't shown improvement then it's a lot more likely that he may never.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lithuanian NT in shock as starting PG injures at the very start of the game against Croatia. Now they're playing very hesitant ball and are down 12-25 after first quarter

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice move by JV and 1 then hits a 12 ft jumper on the next play. Croatia is playing well but JV can change games now apparently.

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Start of second half JV with 16pts on 5/6 shooting. Which is pretty ok. LT still down 10 to the new power house CROATIA

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Lithuania has to keep going to Jonas. With no PG, their best bet is inside-out play.

Page 186 of 192 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 184 185 186 187 188 ... LastLast

Thread Information