Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Did anyone listen to this interview? Not sure if I understood it right but it doesn't sound like he was speaking that well of JV's work ethic (from the 5:45 point on). Anyone else?
    I didn't interpret it that way initially but listening to it again I could see that.

It sucks that we can't hear the question being asked thereby getting the full context.

I initially interpreted it as he has had a bunch of nagging injuries and cold/flu/sickness so he plays well for a stretch, then gets set back by the other things. So the idea of consistent effort was a result of external factors, not JV himself. I hope I am not wrong.

Maybe irgigi can offer insight?

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Jonas Valaciunas with another good outing 8 pts, 13 rebs(5 off), 4/8 FG, 4 TO, 1BLK, 5 FLS +9 22:35 min
      Box score: http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eur...e?gamecode=103

He was up against Primoz Brezec!

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas : "Best international player NOT in the NBA?"

The 2011 NBA offseason was unique, with free agency running concurrently with the start of training camps, which were abbreviated in order to start the season on Christmas Day. Once things settled down and general managers were able to step away from their phones for a bit, NBA.com conducted its 10th annual GM Survey.

Do the Dallas Mavericks have a shot at repeating as NBA champs, or even winning the Western Conference again? Is it time for Kevin Durant to win his first MVP award, or will LeBron James win his third? And if you were putting together an NBA franchise, which of the two is the player you'd most like to start with?

Those are just a few of the 57 questions NBA general managers responded to in our survey.

General managers were not permitted to vote for their own team or personnel. Percentages are based on the pool of respondents to each question of the survey, rather than all 30 GMs.
        Who is the best international player NOT in the NBA?

1. Jonas Valanciunas -- 36.0%
        2. Juan Carlos Navarro -- 32.0%
        3. Andrei Kirilenko -- 20.0%

Also receiving votes: Furkan Aldemir, Mirza Teletovic, Milos Teodosic

Last year: Ricky Rubio -- 42.3%
        Also:

Which rookie will be the best player in five years?

1. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland -- 51.9%
        T2. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota -- 11.1%
        T2. Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto -- 11.1%
        T2. Derrick Williams, Minnesota -- 11.1%

Also receiving votes: Alec Burks, Utah; Enes Kanter, Utah; Tristan Thompson, Cleveland; Kemba Walker, Charlotte

Last year: John Wall -- 67.9%
        Source: NBA.com

Hi praise. Kanter went higher in the draft but fell behind here.

Comment

• Jonas has so many good things going for him. As a center with an extremely high motor and 87% free throw shooting... With the speed of the NBA game I can see him averaging as a rookie 15pts 10brds 2blks per 30 minutes
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Yeah good point about the FT shooting. If he can get to the line 6-8 times a game he can really punish opposing big men. I don't expect that right out of the gate.

Comment

• the 5 offensive boards are what I like to see. Those extra possessions and often times put backs can often kill the flow of the other team
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• where he could really be a nightmare is the combination of the offensive rebounding put backs and foul shooting. How many times do guys get an offensive rebound close to the basket and get fouled hard to avoid the easy two. So teams are going to be stuck with the choice of hard fouling and taking an almost 90 percent risk of the free throw/foul trouble or just giving him the easy two. As an example his last game he got 5 offensive rebounds, which could translate to ten easy points a game.

Comment

• Which I do expect from him around three years out

Comment

• I would imagine that most Europeans would have a difficult time in their first couple of years. We all know the struggles Bargnani had in his first year. Even guys like Nowitski struggled early.

I hope JV proves me wrong, but I don't see a double/double in his rookie year. He may end up looking like Davis is now. Flashes of a great player but looking average for the most part. JV will hopefully be a really good player by year 3.

Comment

• I would agree if where he made his money was as a scorer. Being 7ft with a high motor translates extremely well regardless. Being seven feet you should be able to average five boards a game by accident

Comment

• "Jonas has so many good things going for him. As a center with an extremely high motor and 87% free throw shooting... With the speed of the NBA game I can see him averaging as a rookie 15pts 10brds 2blks per 30 minutes"

If he comes close to those averages I would be very surprised..and very happy. He would be a superstar with in a couple years. They always say it takes at least five years for a big man to fully develop, case in point is Bargs.

Here are some guys that broke the five year rule:

Patrick Ewing averaged 20 pts, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 35mins a game. He was 23 his rookie year and played 4 years in the ncaa

David Robinson averaged 24 and 12 , and close to 4 blocks in 36 minutes, in his rookie season. He was 25

Hakeem Olajuwon - averaged 20 and 12 and almost 3 blocks per 35.5 in his rookie season. He was 22

Shaq - 23 and 14, with 3.5 blocks in 38 minutes at the age of 20.

Yao Ming - 13 points and 8 rebound and 2 blocks in 30 mins. He was 22

Jonas when compared with these stats above, playing 35 minutes he would be averaging 17.5 points, 11.67 rebounds and 2.3 blocks at 20 years of age. Those stats would be better than Kevin Garnett's second year stats (I know he isn't a centre, but they have similar physical stats.)

If he averages 10 points and 7 rebounds in 30 mins in his first year I would be more than happy
                        Last edited by saints91; Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• if JV could average even 7 pts and 7 reb and 1 blk + a game with solid defense from the 5 in his rookie year I think that would be good, he is only going to get bigger, stronger, and better, barring injury.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• I tell you, the way some are talking, his ceiling could be Sabonis version 2.0.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I tell you, the way some are talking, his ceiling could be Sabonis version 2.0.
                              Do you mean posters here at RR or people working in the basketball media?

Comment

• A little of A, a little of B. Depends on who you read and no one is giving much in terms of negatives.

Comment

Working...
                                X