No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likely a bit of a combination - JV isn't a great passer out of the post but the team also didn't move off the ball or give him options.

If you have 5 minutes, look at Jonas post-ups (not the quick buckets off deep position) in this video:

The only regular movement I see is JJ getting himself in position for a rebound. But even look at how the guards are standing on the perimeter - hands down, just watching.

Then watch the first couple minutes of this one and see what the Spurs do during Tim Duncan post-ups:

I see the passer cutting through the paint regularly, Kawhi being very active in either cutting, flashing to the ball, or positioning himself for a rebound, Diaw cutting through the paint, and guys on the perimeter standing with their hands up (ready for a pass) or just looking engaged and on their toes (Ginobli).

Obviously comparing the Spurs to the Raptors is going to make T.O. look bad, but you'd like to see the same kind of movement for JV, even if the Raps aren't as good at it.

I find the "show me something first" argument a bit off. When you have a young guy with as much potential, it's the team's job to help develop him as well as being the player's job to take full advantage of every opportunity. "When you're ready, we'll pass you the ball" is what a very experienced championship Spurs squad could say to a young Kawhi Leonard a couple years ago. It's not what a first-round-out EC team says to one of their top prospects and (already) one of their most talented players.
    Last edited by S.R.; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 01:14 PM.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• We've seen JV on a few occasions make some nice passes to people open for 3. They need to give him more opportunities to practice his passing skills, as well as give him more targets to practice on. On and off the ball movement!
      OG is our king

Comment

• no Woj bomb. Our house is leak-proof bitches

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

no Woj bomb. Our house is leak-proof bitches

This is how I picture Woj right now:

"I'll get you next time, Masai. NEXT TIIIIIIIME!"

Comment

• Can't wait to find out numbers.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Can't wait to find out numbers.
              I heard JV dropped his asking price after Masai pinky swear'd that this was Casey's last season.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                I heard JV dropped his asking price after Masai pinky swear'd that this was Casey's last season.
                lol

Comment

Lol I'm actually dying right now

Comment

• Valanciunas signs for Dwane Casey exception, 5yrs/5M

Comment

Likely a bit of a combination - JV isn't a great passer out of the post but the team also didn't move off the ball or give him options.

If you have 5 minutes, look at Jonas post-ups (not the quick buckets off deep position) in this video:

The only regular movement I see is JJ getting himself in position for a rebound. But even look at how the guards are standing on the perimeter - hands down, just watching.

Then watch the first couple minutes of this one and see what the Spurs do during Tim Duncan post-ups:

I see the passer cutting through the paint regularly, Kawhi being very active in either cutting, flashing to the ball, or positioning himself for a rebound, Diaw cutting through the paint, and guys on the perimeter standing with their hands up (ready for a pass) or just looking engaged and on their toes (Ginobli).

Obviously comparing the Spurs to the Raptors is going to make T.O. look bad, but you'd like to see the same kind of movement for JV, even if the Raps aren't as good at it.

I find the "show me something first" argument a bit off. When you have a young guy with as much potential, it's the team's job to help develop him as well as being the player's job to take full advantage of every opportunity. "When you're ready, we'll pass you the ball" is what a very experienced championship Spurs squad could say to a young Kawhi Leonard a couple years ago. It's not what a first-round-out EC team says to one of their top prospects and (already) one of their most talented players.

dont have to watch the videos to know you are dead on the money.

This is one reason I hope that casey swaps things up a little, and we can actually watch how a lineup featuring Lowry passing in and cutting and Carroll cutting will feature.

And the spurs offense...we have Cujo now.....

Comment

• Jv 4 eva
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Over or under on 16M per? what's your call?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            Over or under on 16M per? what's your call?
                            Over

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              Over or under on 16M per? what's your call?
                              I'd say slightly over.

I think it'll start at 15M and have 7.5% increases.

Edit:

15.00M
                              16.13M
                              17.25M
                              18.38M

Total = ~66.76M so an average cap hit of 16.5M per year.
                              Last edited by JWash; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                                dont have to watch the videos to know you are dead on the money.

This is one reason I hope that casey swaps things up a little, and we can actually watch how a lineup featuring Lowry passing in and cutting and Carroll cutting will feature.

And the spurs offense...we have Cujo now.....
                                Atlanta and Carroll ain't too shabby either.

Funny enough former GM who brought team together is a SA disciple as is the coach (and now President of Bball too)

Comment

Working...
                                X