Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    No one knew Drummond would be this good though, otherwise he would've gone way higher, so it's all well and good to say how much we could trade him for now but at the time, considering we had JV, BC made the safer pick.
    Drummond was projected to go top 8, and fell to 9. Ross was projected to go top 20, and rose to 8. Nobody knew Drummond would be this good, but the consensus was he was the BPA at 8, and Ross wasn't even close (Ross has also proven himself to be much better than everyone thought at the time). BC reached to fill a need instead of taking BPA and going from there. He easily could have traded Drummond during the draft for a pick later in the 1st to grab Ross, while also picking up another asset. Pretty much every single team after the their pick could have used a huge young center. Portland took Meyers Leonard 11th, so there was clearly demand for Centers, and Drummond was unquestionably a better pick than Leonard at the time. So Portland for instance is one team I'm sure we could have traded with for the 11th pick and a future first or something.

Comment

• So as has been mentioned in some threads, JV will be working with Hakeem for some time this summer. How much time? Probably just something like a week or two. These camps are rarely very long.

Hakeem has worked with several guys without much to show for it for many of them, most notably Dwight Howard, JaVale McGee, and Joakim Noah. I am slightly optimistic that because JV tends to rely on bball skills (as opposed to physical skills...or in Noah's case, otherworldly hustle) he may be able to pick up even just a thing or two to help his development.

My hopes is that he improves one or more of the following things:
      -Protecting the ball in the post
      -Handles both facing up and backing down, specifically needs to improve his ability to go left

Think those would go a long way to helping him even with the skill set he already has. And I'd add as a bonus, it would be nice if he works on his pivoting in the post, which would also help him develop a counter or two.

Comment

• I am glad that Chuck's pronunciation improved

Comment

• acesup wrote: View Post
          I am glad that Chuck's pronunciation improved
          Valanchewing

Comment

• You can't teach Hakeem Olajuwon moves. But hopefully JV can learn some basic low post moves. Because right now, all he has is this ugly running hook.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Well JV, with Chuck Hayes on board for next season and Casey for 3 more, maybe in year 4 you'll get a chance to play in the 4th quarter when it counts.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                You can't teach Hakeem Olajuwon moves. But hopefully JV can learn some basic low post moves. Because right now, all he has is this ugly running hook.
                Hey, it works OK, I do it all the time, and it goes in. Although, I am playing against my friends.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Well JV, with Chuck Hayes on board for next season and Casey for 3 more, maybe in year 4 you'll get a chance to play in the 4th quarter when it counts.

someones not happy abt the extension

LOL i think JV will get his fair shake half way thru next season (theres a reason why the extension is only 2+1)

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    You can't teach Hakeem Olajuwon moves. But hopefully JV can learn some basic low post moves. Because right now, all he has is this ugly running hook.
                    He also has the one counter where he takes that baseline fade, which is actually a pretty solid move.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      He also has the one counter where he takes that baseline fade, which is actually a pretty solid move.
                      Jv's biggest problem, and Hakeem mentioned the issue when talking about Dwight Howard, is that he takes too long to think about what he should do. He should have two or three moves and practice how to move from one to the other. Then just go ahead and immediately use one. If it doesn't work immediately move to the next. You see Hakeem doing it with his pivot ,ove all the time in the old Youtube tapes. It is not the moves specifically that make him so great (taking nothing away from him) but the fact tha the puts them into motion immediately upon getting the ball. His essential skill was getting low post position where if he initiated the motion it was too late to counter it.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Jv's biggest problem, and Hakeem mentioned the issue when talking about Dwight Howard, is that he takes too long to think about what he should do. He should have two or three moves and practice how to move from one to the other. Then just go ahead and immediately use one. If it doesn't work immediately move to the next. You see Hakeem doing it with his pivot ,ove all the time in the old Youtube tapes. It is not the moves specifically that make him so great (taking nothing away from him) but the fact tha the puts them into motion immediately upon getting the ball. His essential skill was getting low post position where if he initiated the motion it was too late to counter it.
                        Yes, but he had literally 0 moves when he started his career. Not even the running hook, or baseline fade. If he can sharpen those up, add some more set backdown hooks (which with his touch he could probably finish with either hand) and an up-and-under....that should be enough.

Then the rest is as you say, about being aggressive and decisive, and being able to counter if you have to. Still a work in progress, but lets also not forget that he should get some touches through the pick'n'roll, maybe even some pop game if he can keep working on that jumper which just seems to need to become consistent.

Comment

• So, Jonas is going home. Back to Lithuania.

Putin, better don't mess with Lithuania when BIG V is there!!!!

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

So, Jonas is going home. Back to Lithuania.

Putin, better don't mess with Lithuania when BIG V is there!!!!

JV has protection in Lithuania

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• He survived being drafted by BC and playing with Bargnani. Bring your worst Putin (but seriously don't because he's looking really good for us and will probably be good for a long time and just please god don't)
                              @Boymusic66

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X