No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be too much to ask the ACC to play "My Name is Jonas" by Weezer every time he makes a basket?

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote:
      http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/42723

Credit goes to JeffB on raptorsforum for finding quote.

Wow, I thought he was good, but not #2 in 2012 draft good.
      Chr1st1anL here at RR posted this earlier this afternoon.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Encouraging to read for sure, but we might have to wait until March Madness is over before claiming ourselves victors. We no doubt got a very solid player in Valanciunas, but a lot can happen between now and the national championship game.

Kind of like when Melo dropped in out of nowhere to lead Syracuse to a title. Going into the tourney, he was barely in top 10 in most mock drafts. Derrick Williams rose very quickly towards the end of last year too.
        Even if they were to say he was only fifth in this draft, that's high praise. This draft is way better than last years so the fact people are saying he could go second (ahead of Drummand at that) is a pretty big compliment.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• o... sorry.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            o... sorry.

I'm just pulling your chain...... sorry.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Would it be too much to ask the ACC to play "My Name is Jonas" by Weezer every time he makes a basket?
              no we should be playing this

Comment

• February MVP for VTB League: Jonas Valanciunas

Nice.

Comment

• Yes, nice indeed. Can someone explain to me the "Efficiency per game"? I don't get that.

On a sidenote, when he was drafted I thought JV would need another year over there but he has really impressed. The numbers are good, the numbers against ex-NBA players are good, the skill set is good. To me though, the eye test is huge: he looks a lot, a lot better than he did even 8 or 9 months ago. That's really important to see with a player in his age range. Plus, not sure if it's just deceptive on video or not but he looks much bigger than he did in June at the draft.

Comment

• Well, all I hear is that he's working hard on building muscle. He's got a really nice frame to fill out. He himself has stated time and again that he wants to look like Dwight Howard. He is working hard towards that goal and lately his body's been getting stronger so fast that it kind of makes me wonder if he won't reach Dwight's strength within 2-3 years from now. He obviously uses Howard for his motivation. Jonas wants to destroy Howard one day. Can't wait for that to happen.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Yes, nice indeed. Can someone explain to me the "Efficiency per game"? I don't get that.

On a sidenote, when he was drafted I thought JV would need another year over there but he has really impressed. The numbers are good, the numbers against ex-NBA players are good, the skill set is good. To me though, the eye test is huge: he looks a lot, a lot better than he did even 8 or 9 months ago. That's really important to see with a player in his age range. Plus, not sure if it's just deceptive on video or not but he looks much bigger than he did in June at the draft.
                      (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK - FG missed - FT missed - TO).
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post
                        (PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK - FG missed - FT missed - TO).
                        Thanks. That reminds me of some calculation that Khandor dude used to come up with. Some random series of numbers that means nothing....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          Thanks. That reminds me of some calculation that Khandor dude used to come up with. Some random series of numbers that means nothing....
                          yes it is an interesting metric guys like Jkidd KG and LeBron always score very high on it.
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Nice.
                            It is nice to hear, but when you actually look at the stats it gave real quick at the end you'll notice it's only 3 games.
                            Is February even shorter in Lithuania?

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                              It is nice to hear, but when you actually look at the stats it gave real quick at the end you'll notice it's only 3 games.
                              Is February even shorter in Lithuania?
                              JV plays in three different leagues- Lithuanian league, Eurocup and VTB united league with all of them combined he plays about 12 games a month

Comment

• Last week, we shared with you the story of twin brothers whose boundless love for Lithuanian basketball led them to get the signature of Jonas Valanciunas — the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft, Lithuania's next major international export and the prospective savior of the moribund Toronto Raptors — tattooed on their bodies. This week, I kind of find myself wanting to join them, thanks to the amazing news that the 19-year-old big man basically decided to be a one-man Harlem Globetrotters show during this past Saturday's Lithuanian Basketball League All-Star Game.

In terms of actual basketball, Valanciunas continued to strut his stuff, turning in 25 points, 13 rebounds and six assists to lead his team of Lithuanian-born players to a 115-98 victory over a contingent of foreign-born players that featured the likes of former Raptor Sonny Weems and ex-Boston College star Tyrese Rice. Valanciunas earned recognition as the game's Most Impressive Player in the win.

But where he really shone, according to the excellent Simonas Baranauskas of Lithuania Basketball, was in his showmanship:

Valanciunas spiced up his performance by dressing up as an old man with a cane, interrupting the game by carrying a banner onto the court encouraging his teammate Renaldas Seibutis.

It wasn't the end of the show, as the player started the second half of the game dressed up as a referee, wearing sizably too short pants and slippers, while the referee stepped on the court wearing Valanciunas' jersey.

The center was enjoying the power of the whistle, calling a non-existent travel on Tyrese Rice and then a technical foul on the referee that replaced Valanciunas on the court.
                                I choose to believe that Raptors.com's Jay Satur is right and that Valanciunas' "old man with a cane" get-up was actually a Gandalf costume, if for no other reason than I like to imagine him hedging to hem up a point guard on a pick-and-roll and screaming, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" (Lithuanian basketball + "Lord of the Rings" = slam dunk. Thanks again for reading Ball Don't Lie, your home for the nerdiest possible joke combinations.)

After the jump, check out video of Jonas displaying his full range of skills, from running the floor and handling the rock to being a master of disguise.

So great. The more I learn about young Mr. Valanciunas, the more excited I am for him to come over to the NBA next season. I think we can all agree that if there's one thing the Rising Stars Challenge needs, it's more wizard costumes.
                                http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...tml#more-15518

Comment

Working...
                                X