No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I voted A, but I think I'd give him an A- if it was an option. Before the season.....

-I hoped he would average 7-9 pts and 5-7 boards....check.

-I hoped he would show glimpses of being a lane intimidator in the paint....double check, as he not only blocks shots but can put guards on their asses when they drive, in a non-dirty way. Love it. Miss that kind of presence.

-Hoped his motor wouldn't run dry faced with the tough schedule....almost check, because the injury, but was a freak thing (and blessing in disguise?), and he came on strong playing increasingly better basketball after coming back. He seemed to be psychologically stronger at the end of the season, and managed the physical toll very well. His early struggles were also unfortunate, but pretty expected given the adjustment not just in the game, but in life.

-Hoped he would make adjustments both in games and through the season...check. This shows in his fouls issues. Did he still make some bad fouls down the end of the season? Yes. But his minutes went up steadily after he came back, and his foul numbers weren't heavily affected. He also became much more patient on offense.

-Hoped to see evidence of solid intangibles....bazillion checks. The improvement in his game during the season shows tremendous hunger and work ethic. His intensity level is always very high. He oozes positivity all the time. He never once backed down on the court. He takes criticism from both coaches and teammates, which is extra good for a guy who should be a future leader on the team. His intensity rarely seems to translate into letting his emotions get the best of him, directing his energy at focusing on being better rather than dreading over things not going his way.

Things I wish had been better:
    -Turnovers...somewhat expected, especially when he started getting some doubles, but I really want him to be better when he puts the ball on the floor going in for that running hook. He's getting too good at the move for the dribbling to be a concern.

-Pick'n'roll D....the biggest hole in his defensive game by far, if you ask me. Probably the toughest aspect to master though. He did become better at other things defensively, but this barely improved.

Comment

• Voted B+.

Would've voted A if he really exceeded my expectations and averaged something like 12pts/8reb.

Still a really good season, yet tons of potential still left. The kid is still 20 years old after all.

Comment

• The first 40 games- B-
        the next 20 games- B
        March to the end- A-

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post

Here's a better example of how to pronounce his name Listen at 0:03

I believe it would actually be written Yoh-Nas in English.
          Jesus Christ ;DDDDD thanks for reminding him ;D
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• voted b. wanted him more in the discussion for roy.

Comment

• I'll say B+. He didn't meet my statistical expectations but that is partly due to minutes, but he exceeded in almost everything else. His hustle, his defense. Solid rookie season. Once he gets more minutes he'll be an Allstar in a few years.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                voted b. wanted him more in the discussion for roy.
                That's a little unfair considering there is no discussion for rookie of the year. Damian lillard is so far ahead of any rookie to even be considered Jonas would have to at least average 15 and 8 or something ridiculous like that.

Comment

• I gave him a B.

Minus the hand injury and a coach who discriminates on the basis of age, I am sure it would of been an A.

Comment

• all of you are saying you would give him an A, yet still voted B for factors out of his control? wut?

statistically, per minute production, A. per possession, A.
                    intangibles, start of season, B. mid-to-end of season, A.

http://bkref.com/tiny/hGBOC

jonas didnt enter the league with the same fanfare of a certain #1 pick. but how would he have ended up if he was given those extra 400 minutes? how would he have been seen to the league if he ended up as the #3 option behind gay, dd?

Comment

• I also wonder if people are considering the life adjustment. I mean, it's tough for a kid to move from home even if he's just going from the GTA to Guelph (which is practically part of the GTA) for university. To move halfway across the world, to a city that has a bigger population than your home country, having to speak a different language, and basically start a demanding career (not school where you spend half the week studying/drunk) where he puts in long hard hours every day...

Probably no rookie has had to make as much as an overall adjustment as JV.

Comment

• JV will play in summer league.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          JV will play in summer league.
                          So will Ross and Acy. Good to see.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            JV will play in summer league.
                            wow. really? source?
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                              wow. really? source?
                              Casey and BC said in the presser.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• gunna be awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X