Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Impressive and efficient numbers on offense. Hate to complain, but rebounds and block shots are really low and I would think that is what the Raptors want from him this season more than the offense. Small sample size anyway, and doesn't accurately reflect what his season will be.
    The rebounds I think more have to do with the limited minutes he's played. But the block shots can definitely improve. As long as he's altering shots and in the right place at the right time I'm good though
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Blocks are not a good indicator of defense.

Look at Tyson chandler. 5 of last 7 years averaged 1.1 blk per game with outliers being 1.4 and 1.2.

Now are there great defensive players who block shots? Of course. But hardly tell tale sign of defensive contribution.

Comment

• Interesting matchup in the first game on Saturday with Valanciunas and Gustavo Ayon. Ayon was MVP of Fiba Americas tournament last summer.

Comment

• Watched all of them games... JV didn't play too many minutes over the last couple of games, so his averages went down considerably. The coach had to figure out who to cut, so other guys got lots of PT.

Also, in most games, over 50% of the opponents shot attempts were threes. Rebounds were long and were collected by guards and forwards mostly. In those games, I think JV had more offensive boards than defensive ones.

The lithuanian team is really big in general, rarely do you see opponents taking it to the rim against them. It's mostly threes, long twos and floaters. Not much to block.

But that doesn't mean JV was great on defense. His positioning and awareness have improved considerably. He's fouling a lot less. I think he never collected more than 3 fouls, and most of them were smart or necessary fouls. But he still get's a little lost on rotations and leaves his man too quickly when he thinks his teammate needs help. What doesn't help is that in international ball a lot of bigs like the outside shot and as soon as JV is drawn out to the perimeter, he really looks out position and this is were they come up with smart quick plays for guards who take it to the rim and JV just doesn't get back in time for rim protection...

Offensively he looked dominate throughout all of the games though. It's like he flips on the switch whenever he wants and scores like 10 points in a row. Then the team goes back to experimenting different offensive sets... Can't wait for the real games to begin!

Comment

• speaking of the last game, this move by dragic was pretty slick

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
              speaking of the last game, this move by dragic was pretty slick

very underrated player

Comment

• BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                Watched all of them games... JV didn't play too many minutes over the last couple of games, so his averages went down considerably. The coach had to figure out who to cut, so other guys got lots of PT.

Also, in most games, over 50% of the opponents shot attempts were threes. Rebounds were long and were collected by guards and forwards mostly. In those games, I think JV had more offensive boards than defensive ones.

The lithuanian team is really big in general, rarely do you see opponents taking it to the rim against them. It's mostly threes, long twos and floaters. Not much to block.

But that doesn't mean JV was great on defense. His positioning and awareness have improved considerably. He's fouling a lot less. I think he never collected more than 3 fouls, and most of them were smart or necessary fouls. But he still get's a little lost on rotations and leaves his man too quickly when he thinks his teammate needs help. What doesn't help is that in international ball a lot of bigs like the outside shot and as soon as JV is drawn out to the perimeter, he really looks out position and this is were they come up with smart quick plays for guards who take it to the rim and JV just doesn't get back in time for rim protection...

Offensively he looked dominate throughout all of the games though. It's like he flips on the switch whenever he wants and scores like 10 points in a row. Then the team goes back to experimenting different offensive sets... Can't wait for the real games to begin!
                Good to hear!
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Blocks are not a good indicator of defense.

Look at Tyson chandler. 5 of last 7 years averaged 1.1 blk per game with outliers being 1.4 and 1.2.

Now are there great defensive players who block shots? Of course. But hardly tell tale sign of defensive contribution.
                  It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    It's more about the competition. Those numbers are really low seeing who his playing against. Personally I've accepted that JV will never be the great two way Center that we all want. He'll always need a defensive anchor at the 4 or 5.

For someone who has long supported/defended DD, a player it took 5 years to really come into his own, and one who's still average defensively, you seem to really lack patience with Jonas, who's only played 2 years, and is playing a much more difficult position especially defensively.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      For someone who has long supported/defended DD, a player it took 5 years to really come into his own, and one who's still average defensively, you seem to really lack patience with Jonas, who's only played 2 years, and is playing a much more difficult position especially defensively.
                      On a nightly bases in the NBA I think DD has a harder match than JV. Also the last 5 year that I've been defending DD I didn't defend his defence. Also his an above average athlete. So there's always hope of he'll become a +defender.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

While I don't think JV will ever be an elite defender at the 5 spot, I do feel he will be slightly better than average. Strong enough to defend post-ups one on one, and agile enough to hedge and recover on pick and rolls. If he can learn defensive rotations as a team player he will not be a liability at that end.

Due to his potential offensive ability, I expect him to be one of the top all around centers in the league in the next few years.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• yeah I'm not going to judge a centre who is coming into his third year and write him off.

He's not elite rim protector right now. But he's better than Al Jefferson, Cousins and Drummond
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Tough to block shots and coral long rebounds against a lot of 3s and long 2s.

JV is just turned 22. If you've already placed limits on him then any improvements will surely be a welcome surprise, no?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              yeah I'm not going to judge a centre who is coming into his third year and write him off.

He's not elite rim protector right now. But he's better than Al Jefferson, Cousins and Drummond
                              aren't you just looking at opposing FG attempts at the rim? if you look at opposing FGM which makes more sense, jonas is worse than those 3.
                              Last edited by iblastoff; Tue Aug 26, 2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                aren't you just looking at opposing FG attempts at the rim? plus that data is per game, which jonas definitely plays less minutes than those 3 guys.
                                Yeah, better to look at opponent FG% at the rim. If you narrow to players who a) played 30+ games and b) defended at least 7 FGA's at the rim per game (Jonas defended 8.9), Jonas is 15th (Amir is 8th, Cousins is 14th, Drummond is 18th). There are 26 players in the sample, so Jonas is sitting right about average already.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X