Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Idea: Carmelo to the Raptors!

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Idea: Carmelo to the Raptors!

    Couldn't resist not putting a ? at the end of the heading...hahaha. Heart attack anyone?

    Full disclosure: My personality tends to change for the worse when Melo is in the discussion....the most narcissistic bb player around. He is/has been a team/coach/franchise killer far as I can remember.

    But with all the drama swirling around the Knicks and him musing about waiving his no trade clause etc etc...what if Masai actually entertained the possibility! Wouldnt it be ironic? I would go into a coma and take a hiatus from the Raptors.

    How would the Republic handle such a transaction even if the Knicks were to pawn him off at firesale exchanges?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does this really need to be asked? He's basically a much more expensive Rudy gay.

  3. Like Just Is liked this post
  4. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does Melo fit the vision of what the Raptors are aspiring to be?

    Has Melo ever given any indication that he's interested in playing in markets that aren't deemed "big" by American mainstream?

    Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The short answer is no...but one cannot discount that some brothers here might think it's a good idea....you know...the superstar complex? Just trying to bridge the discussions to game time!

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Does Melo fit the vision of what the Raptors are aspiring to be?

    Has Melo ever given any indication that he's interested in playing in markets that aren't deemed "big" by American mainstream?

    Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    From what I can tell, the situation seems to be quite tenuousinNY....maybe both Melo and the Knicks would be desperate enough (for different reasons) to take the Raptors as a partner.

    I feel like the unwashed trying to make a case for getting him here!

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    bahahahahah honestly I do not think our gm has ever showing anything to suggest he would be so dumb to think melo would help us win. MU comes across to me as an intelligent man and I fell the general public views him the same way.

    secondly as terrible run a franchise as New York is im sure they must understand by now that you should not make trades with teams in your own division. plus I would think the owner will not allow MU to take advantage of them agian lol

    until melo is ready to be a second or third option on a team, thus expelling way less energy on offense so he can save some for defensive effort he will continue to lose 45 plus games a year.

    a better question for a thread would be how many teams would actually want melo on their team at this current moment

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Day One wrote: View Post
    bahahahahah honestly I do not think our gm has ever showing anything to suggest he would be so dumb to think melo would help us win. MU comes across to me as an intelligent man and I fell the general public views him the same way.

    secondly as terrible run a franchise as New York is im sure they must understand by now that you should not make trades with teams in your own division. plus I would think the owner will not allow MU to take advantage of them agian lol

    until melo is ready to be a second or third option on a team, thus expelling way less energy on offense so he can save some for defensive effort he will continue to lose 45 plus games a year.

    a better question for a thread would be how many teams would actually want melo on their team at this current moment
    Our GM was the first one to dump him. Only reason to get Melo is to flip him again to another sucker.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would much rather see Raptors take Amare, rather than Melo.
    shorter contract and much safer bet
    We all know most players give it their best on contract year

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Triplethreat89 wrote: View Post
    I would much rather see Raptors take Amare, rather than Melo.
    shorter contract and much safer bet
    We all know most players give it their best on contract year
    We don't have enough garbage to trade for Amare. If we got Eric Gordon we could flip his contract with our shit and barely match that turd deal.

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    We don't have enough garbage to trade for Amare. If we got Eric Gordon we could flip his contract with our shit and barely match that turd deal.
    Yeah I know
    I am just saying if New York offered Melo (theoretically), we should take Amare instead

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Triplethreat89 wrote: View Post
    Yeah I know
    I am just saying if New York offered Melo (theoretically), we should take Amare instead
    Agreed but then I'd just take Acy over either. Or just tell therm both then giggle and run away.

  13. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you have a chance to trade for Melo, without gutting your roster, you do it.

    That said, I think the Knicks would ask too much, and Ujiri is intimately familiar with superstar trade negotiations, so I doubt he would bite.

  14. Like 3inthekeon, Mediumcore liked this post
  15. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    If you have a chance to trade for Melo, without gutting your roster, you do it.

    That said, I think the Knicks would ask too much, and Ujiri is intimately familiar with superstar trade negotiations, so I doubt he would bite.
    Knick are 4-20 with him. Anybody who makes 25M over 5 years should make their team an Eastern Conference playoff team regardless of other players. Thought quiz - if LBJ replaced Melo what would the Knickjs record be? If Lowry replaced Melo they might be .500 at least. Honestly there are at least 2-3 dozen players that would turn that roster into at least respectable. Bosh had less and did better.

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Melo has diva/knucklehead warnings plastered all over him.

    He would be disastrous on the Raptors.

  17. Like Bendit liked this post
  18. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    10,494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Melo would try to beat up TROSS and we can't have that! Looool

  19. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    F@!K NO..MELO don't play team ball,definitely pass.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

  20. Like Niagara Raptor liked this post
  21. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Melo would not fit in our system
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  22. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Disregarding the attitude issues and that he would never want to play here, and just looking from a basketball stand point....Melo is a hell of player. You surround him with high IQ players like Lowry, Amir and Lou and you'd have a rely talented teams hat could challenge any team in the East.

  23. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Disregarding the attitude issues and that he would never want to play here, and just looking from a basketball stand point....Melo is a hell of player. You surround him with high IQ players like Lowry, Amir and Lou and you'd have a rely talented teams hat could challenge any team in the East.
    Raptors are first without Melo. With him it'll be .500 or under plus headaches.

  24. Like Bendit liked this post
  25. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Given that Fisher's insistence on making the Knicks play better defence, I don't see Melo waiving his no-trade clause in order to go to a Casey-coached team and its insistence on a team defensive identity, especially since he would either need to be sharing touches with Demar and Kyle when playing with the starters, or be constantly fighting to be the shoot-first alpha dog when Greivis and Lou are on the floor. And I doubt the Knicks are willing to risk the ire of their fans by dealing with the Raptors again, even if our offer is the best offer available, especially since Melo is even more important to the psyche of their fans right now than Vince was to the psyche of ours when the Raptors traded him.

    All that being said, however, if you can make that deal for, say, expiring salaries, Bebe or Deandre, and a first-rounder, and keep your core intact, you have to consider it. Melo at PF with Demar and Kyle as established star-level players and Ross and JV as up-and-comers is one rip-roaring starting lineup; Greivis, Lou, James Johnson, PPat and a player to be named later (or combination of spot duty from the starters) is a top-five second unit in the league. (If we keep Amir Johnson rather than rolling him into the trade, that's arguably the best second unit in the league.)

    The bottom line is this: if you make that deal, you're gambling on Anthony buying in to the system's values, putting in a solid effort on defense and keeping his ego in check, and that is not a sure thing by any stretch. On the other hand, the payoff if the high-risk move paid off would be enormous: a contender-level starting lineup and four-fifths of a contender-level bench in place for this year and the next, with important pieces in place for even longer. I'd probably pull the trigger, knowing that we have the talent to keep him on a tighter leach than JV has had (especially once Demar gets back) and that some other will be willing to take a chance on him if we simply can't make him fit here.
    Last edited by TheWaterboy; Sun Dec 14th, 2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: (Forgot that Lou W is an expiring and we'd need to resign him for next season. Oops!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •