View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    29 27.62%
  • B

    57 54.29%
  • C

    17 16.19%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    2 1.90%
Page 39 of 170 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 3400

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #761
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pretty interesting stuff. Darko was brought up but I think there are a couple reasons why comparing JV to Darko is flawed.

    1/Darko was drafted by a successful team that had no time to develop him, JV will get more coaching, and more game time minutes to figure things out.

    2/ Darko may have been a much better player overall at this age but JV's NBA transferable skills are what matter.

    3/ I like Detroit a lot, but as someone who immigrated as a young adult, Toronto is a way better place to find home away from home with so many cultural communities. I can't imagine the culture shock of Detroit being your introduction to North America. That had to effect Darko's developing game.

  2. #762
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    Some other comparisons:
    Kanter - 13mpg = 4.2reb, 4.8pts, 0.3blks
    Thompson - 23.7mpg = 6.5reb, 8.2pts, 1blk
    kanter suffered in minutes behind jefferson and favours. i think he actually had a pretty decent rookie year. not bad production in 13 minutes.

  3. #763
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Pretty interesting stuff. Darko was brought up but I think there are a couple reasons why comparing JV to Darko is flawed.

    1/Darko was drafted by a successful team that had no time to develop him, JV will get more coaching, and more game time minutes to figure things out.

    2/ Darko may have been a much better player overall at this age but JV's NBA transferable skills are what matter.

    3/ I like Detroit a lot, but as someone who immigrated as a young adult, Toronto is a way better place to find home away from home with so many cultural communities. I can't imagine the culture shock of Detroit being your introduction to North America. That had to effect Darko's developing game.
    i think reason 1 was the biggest factor. sitting on the bench for 3 years was brutal on darkos psyche. turned him jaded and bitter. i also heard *unsubstantiated rumour here* that he was a heavy smoker

  4. #764
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Skaloon, some OPTIMISM please don't be a typical lithuanian. I know you don't love JV and that's obvious, but it seems what you saw was only final series of LKL. Rytas wasn't that horrible, though they were horrible with distributing the ball to centers, and JV was almost useless just because he had to make most of the shots by himself. He's not selfish if he sees that others have better opportunity he gives them the ball instead of making risky shot, try to notice these things. 10 minutes in national team? Give me a break

  5. #765
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    882
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I don't think he is as much of a project as people are saying. His footwork is great he has an assortment of post moves, baby hook up and under, turn around jump shot. He is fantastic at creating a pocket of space. He may get called in the NBA for hooking, all though he uses his elbows instead of his whole arm. He looks comfortable shooting from 10-15ft, isn't afraid of contact. I think his curve is going to be more about getting stronger and learning the tricks of the NBA game. Alabi is a project...BigV is a contributor in his first year, maybe not 20/10 but I see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable. Also he is already above 80% from the free throw line which if you are a prolific offensive rebounder is a fantastic combination to have. Get used to hearing Hoop and Harm or AND1 quite a bit.
    +1 well said. Jv is going to be a nightmare playing against for a lot of players and coaches.

  6. #766
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I don't think he is as much of a project as people are saying. His footwork is great he has an assortment of post moves, baby hook up and under, turn around jump shot. He is fantastic at creating a pocket of space. He may get called in the NBA for hooking, all though he uses his elbows instead of his whole arm. He looks comfortable shooting from 10-15ft, isn't afraid of contact. I think his curve is going to be more about getting stronger and learning the tricks of the NBA game. Alabi is a project...BigV is a contributor in his first year, maybe not 20/10 but I see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable. Also he is already above 80% from the free throw line which if you are a prolific offensive rebounder is a fantastic combination to have. Get used to hearing Hoop and Harm or AND1 quite a bit.

  7. #767
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    Do you know that guy JV is in workout with?

  8. #768
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Awesome. Couldn't find a better guy to learn from.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  9. #769
    Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Skaloon wrote: View Post
    For example, Darko Milicic at the same age was a far better player than JV is now. and look where Milicic is now.
    Where does that come from ? Milicic was 18 when he started as rookie, Jonas is 2 years older so he's far more developped.

    Milicic was playing 20 minutes per game for Hemofarm Vrsac, averaging 9.5 points, 4.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots. He was shooting 49% from the field and 68% from the foul-line.

    This past season, Jonas played 23 minutes per game, averaging 11.7 points, 7.35 rebounds and 1.7 blocks. He shot 62% from the field and 80% from the foul line.

    I know stats are not everything, but at some point, figures do speak for themselves. And if your point is on the "at the same age" thing, I don't see how 2 extra years sitting on Detroit's bench and playing 5 min a game made him a better player.

    I'm not saying that Jonas is a sure thing, i'm just saying that you can't say that Milicic was a far better player than JV is now. Hyped, maybe, but better, no.

  10. #770
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post

    Do you know that guy JV is in workout with?
    Sabonis and JV are some big dudes... it doesn't hit you till you see "normal" size people standing close by. It looks like they are shooting size 6 balls because of their size. JV looks like he is in great shape.

  11. #771
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the European big man duo Bargnani and Valanciunas. Best front court in the league right there

  12. #772
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    its awesome that he's working out with one of the greats from his own country. He even played in the nba so thats a bonus

  13. #773
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    shooting the baby hook with both the left and right thats worth at least 4 - 6ppg when mastered

  14. #774
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Today JV & Lithuanian national squad is playing their first friendly game before Olympic Qualification. The match is against Macedonia and it will start at 9AM in UTC -6:00 timezone (I believe it's called central time here in America and Canada).

    I'm definitely going to watch the match either on the national channel or internet. I'll try to provide a link to stream if possible.

  15. #775
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Today JV & Lithuanian national squad is playing their first friendly game before Olympic Qualification. The match is against Macedonia and it will start at 9AM in UTC -6:00 timezone (I believe it's called central time here in America and Canada).

    I'm definitely going to watch the match either on the national channel or internet. I'll try to provide a link to stream if possible.
    Thanks. They are in Houston aren't they?

  16. #776
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not yet. They're in Lithuania. To you all canadians the match is actually going to start tomorrow morning (in about 10 hours), and since it's already 6am here in Lithuania I used the word 'Today', so sorry for that. They will be going to Houston, TX on 20th of June where they will play two friendly games against Russia and Great Britain.

  17. #777
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was following a thread on the Lithuania-Macedonia friendly match and it seemed JV was doing well until he got hurt? The thread ended at that point, they were questioning whether it was his hand or ribs... anybody know anything about this?

    Boxscore anywhere?

  18. #778
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    I was following a thread on the Lithuania-Macedonia friendly match and it seemed JV was doing well until he got hurt? The thread ended at that point, they were questioning whether it was his hand or ribs... anybody know anything about this?

    Boxscore anywhere?
    I watched the game live, but it didn't look like JV got hurt... Sometime in 2nd quarter (near the end I think) coach just got really mad at JV and benched him.

    Anyway, Lithuania lost 74:78. Macedonia was missing 2 main guys, while Lithuania was playing without 5 key players (who should be on the final team come Olympics).

    JV got 10 pts and 8 boards.

    I can't find a boxscore so it's hard to provide more info.

    Today JV & Lithuanian national squad face off against Greece (roughly in about 14 hours). It will be their second and final friendly match here in Lithuania before they go to Houston, TX on 20th of June.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Sat Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

  19. #779
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    I watched the game live, but it didn't look like JV got hurt... Sometime in 2nd quarter (near the end I think) coach just got really mad at JV and benched him.

    Anyway, Lithuania lost 74:78. Macedonia was missing 2 main guys, while Lithuania was playing without 5 key players (who should be on the final team come Olympics).

    JV got 10 pts and 8 boards.

    I can't find a boxscore so it's hard to provide more info.

    Today JV & Lithuanian national squad face off against Greece (roughly in about 14 hours). It will be their second and final friendly match here in Lithuania before they go to Houston, TX on 20th of June.

    what kind of mistakes was he making that a coach got angry with 10 and 8 in the first half?

  20. #780
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    what kind of mistakes was he making that a coach got angry with 10 and 8 in the first half?
    Nah you got me wrong. Coach put him back in the game in 3rd quarter after benching him in 2nd. I don't know why he got so mad though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 2 guests)

  1. KHD,
  2. Rustyman,
  3. Vykis

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •