Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can the Raptors get off to a good start this season?

Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can the Raptors get off to a good start this season?

Under Dwane Casey, we have never gotten off to a great start in a season:

2011-2012: 23- 43 (Lockout year)
    We never got off to start this season lol ==> 4-13; 8-19; 9-23

2012-2013: 34-48
    We started 4-19, a rough start was expected with a new PG in Lowry, but we could not live up to even decent expectations (ie. 9-14 start would have pushed us into the playoffs with a 39-43 record)

2013-2014: 48-34
    I believe expectations were higher than 6-12 at the start as we had the same starting 5 coming back that finished the season at a .500 mark (but we had a sh*tty bench), but Mr. Gay's heroball just killed any belief that fans had of getting off to a better start.

I am wondering whether we can for once under Dwane Casey get off to a decent start.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You can never correctly predict the Toronto Raptors
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The schedule was brutal at the start of last season though.

Is this year calendar out?
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to see the schedule first.

Knowing our luck we will start with @SAS, @OKC, vs. CLE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Need to see the schedule first.

Knowing our luck we will start with @SAS, @OKC, vs. CLE
    and then beat them all
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Rookie JessJuice's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they can regardless of who we play in the start of the season. I think with bringing the band back together it will only add to their confidence going into the season and they will come out really strong.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chances that Raptors start slow trade Demar ala Rudy Gay, start Ross at SG and Bruno at SF go on another run post trade.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Chances that Raptors start slow trade Demar ala Rudy Gay, start Ross at SG and Bruno at SF go on another run post trade.
    Do you write your own material or do you have guys paid to come up with it. Either way it's some pretty good stuff. Thanks for the laugh.

9. Like theycallmeZZ liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruno is clearly not ready. If he plays we are going nowhere. He probably should go to D league to get playing time.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Bruno is clearly not ready. If he plays we are going nowhere. He probably should go to D league to get playing time.
    It was a joke. He is no less ready than TRoss was after the Gay trade. Sink or Swim, same goes for Bebe.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think the sched comes out till late August.... I also might be wrong...because I'm suddenly unsure...and my google finger is broken
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on our schedule, I think there is a good chance we start strong. Much of the team and staff are likely motivated and excited for the season.

However, I can picture the team trying to get Bruno and Bebe going early when there is less pressure and in hopes of them developing faster than expected, which may cause some early struggles.

It's surprising enough that casey and ujiri have decided to keep Bruno with the team at all, but it's still difficult to determine how much playing time he can actually expect. (If Jonas' development is any indication, he may get PT early on, albeit on an extremely short leash)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a joke. He is no less ready than TRoss was after the Gay trade. Sink or Swim, same goes for Bebe.
    He's way less ready. Terrence Ross was a 22 year old 2nd year player. Bruno will be a 19 year old rookie described at the draft as being two years away from being two years away. That description may not be accurate, but he's still extremely raw.

15. Like iblastoff liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I dont think the sched comes out till late August.... I also might be wrong...because I'm suddenly unsure...and my google finger is broken
    Google is pretty vague. Says schedule comes out sometime in august.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year they started 6-12. This year the same key players have had 2/3 of a season plus playoff experience under their belts plus are much deeper and stronger at the wings which makes the bench ( second unit ) should be much more productive especially LW and JJ. This has not even factored in the natural growth and improvement in the young core. The schedule could not be any tougher which suggests even in the tougher Atlantic division we should be able to win over half our games. We have also eliminated about 3 very unproductive team mates. The 2 Brazilians especially Bruno after working hard all summer and in the early part of the season practicing every day against the starters and attending meetings and video sessions not to mention the excellent practice facility 24/7 With patience and all that hard work Bruno and Bebe will be gradually be weaned into increased playing time which would make the team that much deeper for playoffs. Finally the teams improved depth should allow the coach to better rest some key starters so they are not burned out or injured for the playoffs. STEVE FISHER

Post Thanks / Like

bruno and bebe arent getting off the bench unless its a blow out
    hopefully we see more blowouts next year now that the team has experience together

Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the Raptors' schedule has always been brutal at the beginning of the season, and becomes easier as the season progresses.

However, for the first time in quite a while, the Raptors will be starting the season with the majority of their core from last season still intact. This core has also gotten a taste of the postseason and the vast array of emotions that accompany it. They have a winning chemistry.

All of the players know their roles, know the strengths of each other, and know how to win with each other. They all know when to step up and when to provide certain skills when they are needed.

For these reasons, I think that the Raptors can definitely have a better start to the season next season.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Fair a Enough.

Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait till that schedule comes out. I rather prefer a meh, start and then a strong finish like last season. Just look at the jays after a strong start..... We do not want to be teased early and come in the end of the season on a death spiral like the Pacers.

Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tonious35 wrote: View Post
    Wait till that schedule comes out. I rather prefer a meh, start and then a strong finish like last season. Just look at the jays after a strong start..... We do not want to be teased early and come in the end of the season on a death spiral like the Pacers.

But should that ever be the case for a championship calibre team? Basketball is basketball. Every game, regardless of how lopsided the matchup may be, gives rise to a winner and loser every time. Can a team not develop a reliable consistency to stick to their principles like the Spurs do?

The Paul George-led Pacers started last season blazing hot, but by the trade deadline (and possibly due to moves made by the trade deadline), the Pacers had lost that incredible momentum and lustre, exposing their flaws and having locker-room turmoil add to the confusion.

Everyone dismisses the Spurs nowadays, not because they are bad, but because they are SO consistent in their success that their brilliance is all but guaranteed. Those guys play through their schedule, regardless of the team, regardless of the superstar, regardless of the media, and win 50-60 games a season. Can other teams not do the same?

I think that Masaii is making the right moves right now. He is methodically developing this team, and encouraging growth and hunger to grow and succeed from within. More specifically, he is encouraging the development of a consistent winning formula, one that can last and one that can grow for years to come.

Remember, the Raptors were the only team to not get blown out of any games last season. That being said, many of the losses that the Raptors conceived last year were a direct consequence of mistakes or inconsistency, whether it came from the coach or from the players. With time, this core of players will hammer out those small yet sometimes game deciding errors until they develop a ruthlessly efficient system that will make every single loss feel incomprehensible.

Pay close attention to Greg Popovich next time you watch a Spurs game. Whether the Spurs are up by 20, losing by 20, or if they will have already won or lost the game, Pop will be consistent in his mentoring of players.

It won't matter if their team is blowing out another team; if a player makes a mistake, he ensures that those guilty players are made aware of such errors. That is how he hammers out the flaws in his team.

Discipline, willingness to learn, and desire to grow and improve are all so key to character, and it is really good to see that this improved Raptors team is comprised of so many great characters. Masaii has stuck with Casey, which in turn contributes to the consistency factor. Over time, this Raptors squad and organization will only continue to rise, because with consistency, dedication, and hard work, anything is possible, whether it is in regards to basketball or anything else.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Thread Information