View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    30 27.03%
  • B

    61 54.95%
  • C

    18 16.22%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    2 1.80%
Page 70 of 197 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 3926

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #1381
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JS: So the European data is clearly tricky to work with. Does the fact that Jonas plays centre compound the difficulty of projecting his development?

    Without getting into exactly how drafting Jonas came to be, every team wants these rim-protecting, rebounding centres. Obviously you’d love to have Shaq, who can put up 30 and 15 on a regular basis but as it turns out, those players are pretty easy to identify. You don’t need me to find Shaq or Dwight Howard. But among this sea of guys that are six-foot-10, six-11, seven feet, which ones are going to give you that fundamental core post presence? That bag of skills that includes defending, rebounding and protecting the rim — kind of the Holy Trinity for post players.

    What he has done so far suggests that he can fill that role for us. Obviously at the end of the day I can say I think he can most likely do these things, but there are plenty of guys I thought could and didn’t and plenty of guys I thought couldn’t that did.

    Not necessarily from Day One but over the long term, I think Jonas will be a guy that is a really good rebounder at both ends and can protect the rim defensively as an on-ball and help post defender. His dedication to improving his free throw percentage speaks to an overall offensive potential that he’s just growing into.

    So the work ethic and the passion he clearly has for the game, those intangibles combined with what he’s done on the court are real strong indicators that this is a guy, over the long run, that could be this building block at centre we have for 10-15 years here in Toronto.

    http://blog.raptors.com/q-a-with-alex-rucker-pt-2/
    Wouldn't that be a dream come true.

  2. #1382
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  3. #1383
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,340
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    It's funny how the article referenced Sachin Aurora of Rantsports.com, a 15-year old kid who "graduated" from Bleacher Report.

    Having said that, Valanciunas DOES have high likelihood of becoming the best centre in team history.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #1384
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Love this comment:

    "Raptors' frontcourt last season consisted of little-known, mediocre, or retiring players: Solomon Alabi, Aaron Gray, and Jamaal Magloire. All are currently free agents. Will that make it easier to establish yourself? Or perhaps, on the contrary, there won't be any role models to learn from?
    - I value competition. It drives us forward, gives motivation. Besides, I want to have the best possible partners during training. The tougher the exercise, the easier the game."

    Followed right up with this one:

    "During your last season with Vilnius Lietuvos rytas, you hardly ever received passes from the team's point guards and therefore had to create opportunities for scoring yourself. In Raptors, you'll be playing alongside one of the best assist masters in the NBA, Jose Calderon. Do you think he will give you more opportunities to score?
    - I am of the best possible opinion about Calderon – both as a person and a player. I believe I will be able to do more with him in the court than without."

    Bodes well for the second unit.

    Great attitude form near the end of the interview:

    "This summer hasn't been easy for you. Hell in Venezuela, your first Olympic Games in London, where you unexpectedly had to carry the load of the team's main center. What have you learnt?
    - This summer made me tougher. In some sense, I'm glad I was given a cold shower, since one must learn to get up after a fall."

    Hard not to love this kid. Also hard not to wonder what his attitude would have been like if he had grown up in North America and played NCAA ball, with reporters and writers from SI and ESPN following him around. Seems really humble, dedicated and now, at age 20, one can expect that those attributes are part of his mental make-up. Starting to play on a Men's team at 16 and wait in line behind established players must have fixed in his mind the necessity of continuous improvement and hard work.

    Lovin' it.

  5. #1385
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Love this comment:

    "Raptors' frontcourt last season consisted of little-known, mediocre, or retiring players: Solomon Alabi, Aaron Gray, and Jamaal Magloire. All are currently free agents. Will that make it easier to establish yourself? Or perhaps, on the contrary, there won't be any role models to learn from?
    - I value competition. It drives us forward, gives motivation. Besides, I want to have the best possible partners during training. The tougher the exercise, the easier the game."

    Followed right up with this one:

    "During your last season with Vilnius Lietuvos rytas, you hardly ever received passes from the team's point guards and therefore had to create opportunities for scoring yourself. In Raptors, you'll be playing alongside one of the best assist masters in the NBA, Jose Calderon. Do you think he will give you more opportunities to score?
    - I am of the best possible opinion about Calderon – both as a person and a player. I believe I will be able to do more with him in the court than without."

    Bodes well for the second unit.

    Great attitude form near the end of the interview:

    "This summer hasn't been easy for you. Hell in Venezuela, your first Olympic Games in London, where you unexpectedly had to carry the load of the team's main center. What have you learnt?
    - This summer made me tougher. In some sense, I'm glad I was given a cold shower, since one must learn to get up after a fall."

    Hard not to love this kid. Also hard not to wonder what his attitude would have been like if he had grown up in North America and played NCAA ball, with reporters and writers from SI and ESPN following him around. Seems really humble, dedicated and now, at age 20, one can expect that those attributes are part of his mental make-up. Starting to play on a Men's team at 16 and wait in line behind established players must have fixed in his mind the necessity of continuous improvement and hard work.

    Lovin' it.
    JV is very mature for his age, and that will show up on and off the court.

  6. #1386
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ESPN Insider had this to say today about Valanciunas:

    According to FIBA.com, Jonas Valanciunas has left Lithuania and landed in Canada to begin preparing for his rookie season in the NBA. The Toronto Raptors drafted him with the fifth overall pick in 2011 and are eagerly awaiting his debut in their frontcourt.

    The 20-year-old has dominated every age level of competition in Europe, but, obviously, the NBA is not an under-21 league. So we checked in with ESPN Insider Fran Fraschilla for his take on what we can expect from the 7-foot, 245-pound center as he battles in the paint with the men of the NBA.

    "My gut feeling is he's going to struggle against the top 6-7 tough, physical centers in the NBA," Fraschilla told us. "He'll have nights where he has 19 points and 17 rebounds against weaker teams, but he may get manhandled and in foul trouble versus tougher opponents other nights.

    "Watching him in Euro League, it's clear he is not afraid to bang. He loves to play inside. He just needs to continue improving his strength. He should be outstanding in 2-3 years."
    Not exactly a ground breaking write-up, but still interesting as it does somewhat temper expectations as to what to expect...similar to what we have been attempting to do...while still looking towards the long term potential that Valanciunas shows.

    It will be fascinating to get to watch those games where he shows the potential to put it all together.

  7. #1387
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...p?newsid=53866

    Interesting article about Valanciunas on the FIBA website.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  8. #1388
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...nto-raptors-2/

    Another good perspective on the upcoming season with a likely realistic review of JV

  9. #1389
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://twitter.com/msharbaf/status/2...589890/photo/1

    Hold your collective breaths. (For those of you who don't want to look... it is Jonas in a walking boot)
    Last edited by The Coach; Sun Sep 23rd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  10. #1390
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    http://twitter.com/msharbaf/status/2...589890/photo/1

    Hold your collective breaths. (For those of you who don't want to look... it is Jonas in a walking boot)
    For fucks sake.

  11. #1391
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    http://twitter.com/msharbaf/status/2...589890/photo/1

    Hold your collective breaths. (For those of you who don't want to look... it is Jonas in a walking boot)
    Wolstat is looking into it...

    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun
    Pictures going around of #Raptors Jonas Valanciunas in a walking boot. Waiting for confirmation on extent of injury
    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun
    But no crutches and fact he is walking on it is a good sign one would think
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  12. #1392
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    God dammit..

  13. #1393
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    SHIT! Are you kidding me?! All these injuries....

  14. #1394
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    Wolstat is looking into it...
    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun
    Team doesn't expect to update Valanciunas situation until tomorrow, but doesn't sound like any of us will be talking to him 2morrow afterall
    What a way to start... it's not April 1st, right?
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  15. #1395
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's a very bad prank. I think it's just a guy that just looks a little like Jonas... why is the face not visible?
    Maybe it's even photoshoped...

  16. #1396
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    I think it's a very bad prank. I think it's just a guy that just looks a little like Jonas... why is the face not visible?
    Maybe it's even photoshoped...
    I like your optimism, but I think it's wishful thinking.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

  17. #1397
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  18. #1398
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    I like your optimism, but I think it's wishful thinking.
    indeed. I'm just so so feeling anxious and sick right now. My God, training camp starts in a week and he needs this camp so badly and we all need to see him so badly... I hope it's just some minor shit and they though "we'll put him in that boot to make sure his foot is good before we start training".

  19. #1399
    Raptors Republic Starter Sam17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While the team said a full update likely wouldn't be coming until Monday, Valanciunas does not appear to be seriously injured, though he was photographed in a walking boot outside the ACC this weekend.

    Valanciunas, like most basketball players, has had minor ankle issues in the past and walking boots are known to speed up recovery from minor sprains and strains.

    He was not using crutches and was putting weight on the foot, both positive signs.
    Don't worry guys

  20. #1400
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    I like your optimism, but I think it's wishful thinking.
    indeed. I'm just so so feeling anxious and sick right now. My God, training camp starts in a week and he needs this camp so badly and we all need to see him so badly... I hope it's just some minor shit and they though "we'll put him in that boot to make sure his foot is good before we start training".

Page 70 of 197 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 170 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •