No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L. Rytas lost 89-75 to CSKA Moscow. It was a 4 point game going in to the 4th quarter.

JV stat line:

13 points on 6/7 FG and 1/2 FT
    6 rebounds
    0 ast
    0 blk
    1 stl
    1 to
    2 fouls
    22:05min

I saw the play by play and he had 6-7mins fouls in the first period and didn't get another for the rest of the game.

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 3, 2011, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• 13 pts, 11 boards, 2 blocks today in a rout, 3 dunks early in the highlight reel

Comment

• Rytasfan97 wrote: View Post
        13 pts, 11 boards, 2 blocks today in a rout, 3 dunks early in the highlight reel

That is 13 points on 5/8 shooting and 3/3 from the foul line.

9 defensive rebounds as well.

Comment

• Solid outing, he just seems very consistent.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• L. Rytas lost 74-73 in OT. Prokom scored with 5 seconds left after L.Rytas fought back after being down by 6 in OT.

Tough game for JV.

Started great. Got two fouls within 17 seconds in 3rd quarter. Second foul was a 3 point play. Finally put back in with 5 minutes left in the 4th.

Stat line:

5 points
            2/4 fg, 1/2 ft
            7 rebs
            1 ast
            2 blks
            1 stl
            0 to

25 mins.

After 1st half he was:
            2/3, 4 points, 5 rebs, 2 blks, 1 stl.
            Rough second half today.

Comment

• Motiejunas outshines Valanciunas

Lietuvos Rytas will return from Poland with a close overtime defeat against Asseco Prokom in the VTB United League, having lost 73-74 (11-9, 25-21, 6-14, 21-19, 10-11) after a thrilling end to the game.

The Lithuanians dropped to 4-3 in the league standings, but still hold the third place in the group, while the win saw Asseco Prokom improve to a 3-4 record.

The meeting in Gdynia was the first duel in an official setting between Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas, the two most promising Lithuanian prospects.

Motiejunas was by far the more impressive player on the court, collecting 16 points, including the game-winning shot, as well as grabbing five rebounds.

Having played about 10 minutes less than Motiejunas, Valanciunas finished the game with five points, seven rebounds and two blocks.

With the game tied at 63-63, Tyrese Rice had a chance to win the game for Lietuvos Rytas, but missed the buzzer-beating lay-up at the end of regulation.

Asseco Prokom started the overtime much better than the visitors from Vilnius, taking a 68-63 lead with just under three minutes left in the extra period, extending it to 72-66 after Motiejunas nailed two free-throws.

However, Lietuvos Rytas wasn’t ready to give up just yet, as the visitors launched a 7-0 run to go in front 73-72 with 17 seconds on the clock, but Motiejunas nailed the game-winner with five seconds left to give the Polish side the win.

Motiejunas was the leading scorer for Asseco Prokom with 16 points, Oliver Lafayette scored 14, while Julian Blassingame ended the game with 13 points, eight assists and five rebounds.

For Lietuvos Rytas, Tyrese Rice collected 19 points and dished out seven assists, Renaldas Seibutis and Steponas Babrauskas chipped in with 12 points each, while Lawrence Roberts added 11 points and six rebounds.
              Source

Comment

• Motiejunas outshined nobody really. Valanciunas efficiency rating is the same as his. Motiejunas is getting unlimited minutes from coach, while Valanciunas is not. Let JV play 34 mins, Rytas would win and JV would do much better. Fouls was not an issue, coach decided to go two PF, while both centers was sitting on bench, letting Motiejunas score easier and his team catched up.
                Team has +6 while JV on coart (best in team), Motiejunas team has 0, while he was on coart.
                Full stats

P.S. Motiejunas was drafted 20th this year Minnesota to Houston.
                Last edited by irgigi; Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:56 PM. Reason: stats link and P.S.

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
                  Motiejunas outshined nobody really. Valanciunas efficiency rating is the same as his. Motiejunas is getting unlimited minutes from coach, while Valanciunas is not. Let JV play 34 mins, Rytas would win and JV would do much better. Fouls was not an issue, coach decided to go two PF, while both centers was sitting on bench, letting Motiejunas score easier and his team catched up.
                  Team has +6 while JV on coart (best in team), Motiejunas team has 0, while he was on coart.
                  Full stats

P.S. Motiejunas was drafted 20th this year Minnesota to Houston.
                  To be clear, the title wasn't mine, I just posted the title of the article.

Comment

• I understand, Matt. It is reply to an article, which is just another loud media article.

Comment

I understand, Matt. It is reply to an article, which is just another loud media article.
                      And a very good reply at that.

Did you see the game? What were the circumstances surrounding JV's long time on the bench and lack of involvement on the offensive end?

Comment

• I've seen the game. He was playing more time than average actually. He was benched, when he got 3rd foul early in 3rd quarter which is ok, more or less. But second center didn't do well, and coach decided to keep two small enough PF's from second part of 3rd quarter until the middle of 4th quarter. Valanciunas came in 5mins left in 4th Q, which i think was too late, he could easy start 4th quarter. Coach either thought small mobile players is working well, or he was afraid to use him because of 3 fouls, but i don't think it is a lot in 4th quarter.

Lack of involvement on the offensive end is only based on the team strategy i suppose. He doesn't score much on this team at all. He doesn't get much ball and other players are doing shots. One reason might be, PG isn't good at pick n roll and by playing through center in general. Coach should make more play through him IMO, but while team isn't playing bad in general, can't judge him much. And we are left to stick to more defencive JV role here.

Comment

I've seen the game. He was playing more time than average actually. He was benched, when he got 3rd foul early in 3rd quarter which is ok, more or less. But second center didn't do well, and coach decided to keep two small enough PF's from second part of 3rd quarter until the middle of 4th quarter. Valanciunas came in 5mins left in 4th Q, which i think was too late, he could easy start 4th quarter. Coach either thought small mobile players is working well, or he was afraid to use him because of 3 fouls, but i don't think it is a lot in 4th quarter.

Lack of involvement on the offensive end is only based on the team strategy i suppose. He doesn't score much on this team at all. He doesn't get much ball and other players are doing shots. One reason might be, PG isn't good at pick n roll and by playing through center in general. Coach should make more play through him IMO, but while team isn't playing bad in general, can't judge him much. And we are left to stick to more defencive JV role here.
                          Thanks. I can't wait to see him in a Raps uniform.

Comment

• JV update.

EuroCup action.

L. Rytas won 82-72.

JV only played 16 minutes.... any insight from our Lithuanian friends?

6 points
                            3/3 fg
                            3 rebs
                            1 ast
                            1 blk
                            2 turnovers
                            2 fouls

Comment

• With this coach, Valančiūnas will never be an star. That's what I already can see. Džikič doesn't care, who he is and is not willing to use his all potential. Also as irgi(also) mentioned above, team lacks better PG, Val has to make most of his shots by himself, of course that ain't bad, but it would be good only if Val would get enough of time during the game. If Val is going to get better during this season, then only on defense. The cons of this year are going to be reduced Val's self confidence. In my opinion when he get less time, he sure is kinda suppressed, although if we think logically he should be more motivated to get more time and to go for it, but I don't think that he would be granted that chance somehow.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                With this coach, Valančiūnas will never be an star. That's what I already can see. Džikič doesn't care, who he is and is not willing to use his all potential. Also as irgi(also) mentioned above, team lacks better PG, Val has to make most of his shots by himself, of course that ain't bad, but it would be good only if Val would get enough of time during the game. If Val is going to get better during this season, then only on defense. The cons of this year are going to be reduced Val's self confidence. In my opinion when he get less time, he sure is kinda suppressed, although if we think logically he should be more motivated to get more time and to go for it, but I don't think that he would be granted that chance somehow.
                                I thought the coach had a good rapport with the Raptors management. I wonder if a) this is an arrangement where they wont play him too much or b) Since JV wont be there next season that they wish to develop the guy who is playing ahead of him now

Comment

Working...
                                X