Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't think JV will get 30+ mpg. That's a lot of minutes for a rookie, who can quickly hit that rookie wall. I'd say closer to 17/18 mpg, and even then that's a bit high in my opinion. Davis is only getting about 17 mpg this year, and he's a sophomore in the NBA.
    Though, as a rookie Ed Davis was playing 25 mpg.
    I don't think it's out of the question for Val to be playing 5 more per as a rookie.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Though, as a rookie Ed Davis was playing 25 mpg.
      I don't think it's out of the question for Val to be playing 5 more per as a rookie.
      Good point, however that was under Triano's system. I'm not sure if Casey would be as forgiving. I would love to be proven wrong though

Comment

• Well right, i forgot the fact, they have only got Magloire and Gray for one year contract. And Ed is playing Bargs position. And it is obvious, for me at least, Bargs is dominating atm, which gives no minutes for Ed. Looking from this perspection, Val should get enough minutes next year being main center behind (or above Amir). it will depend for sure, how will he show himself..

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
          Well right, i forgot the fact, they have only got Magloire and Gray for one year contract. And Ed is playing Bargs position. And it is obvious, for me at least, Bargs is dominating atm, which gives no minutes for Ed. Looking from this perspection, Val should get enough minutes next year being main center behind (or above Amir). it will depend for sure, how will he show himself..
          Absolutely. I hope players, no matter the draft pick and hype have to earn their minutes. Obviously they should get cut some slack on mistakes but if the effort is not there, they shouldn't play in my opinion. I honestly don't think this would be an issue with ED.

Comment

• L. Rytas loses to Zalgirls 82-72.

JV statline:

2 pts
            1/3 fg
            0/0 ft
            8 rebs
            0 ast
            1 stl
            0 blk
            4 to
            1 pf
            7 eff
            19:05 minutes

Not a great game for JV but the rebounding numbers are stellar.

Sonny Weems also played:

15 pts
            4/9 fg
            0/2 3pt
            7/10 ft
            3 reb
            3 ast
            2 stl
            0 blk
            1 to
            1 pf
            15 eff
            30:44 mins

Boxscore

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              L. Rytas loses to Zalgirls 82-72.

JV statline:

2 pts
              1/3 fg
              0/0 ft
              8 rebs
              0 ast
              1 stl
              0 blk
              4 to
              1 pf
              7 eff
              19:05 minutes

Not a great game for JV but the rebounding numbers are stellar.

Sonny Weems also played:

15 pts
              4/9 fg
              0/2 3pt
              7/10 ft
              3 reb
              3 ast
              2 stl
              0 blk
              1 to
              1 pf
              15 eff
              30:44 mins

Boxscore
              For once Sonny took care of the ball, and JV didn't lol, how ironic.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• A blog dedicated to Jonas Valanciunas found via the Raptors.com Twitter feed.

http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com/

Comment

• Might want to retitle that blog

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  A blog dedicated to Jonas Valanciunas found via the Raptors.com Twitter feed.

http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com/
                  In Lithuanian:
                  1) yes, words end in "-as"
                  2) unfortunately, "blogas" means "bad"

So this blog's title became "bad Val". Now I want to hear about good Val.

Comment

• this is hypothetical. but....

if valanciunas is done before the raps are...

could we sign him to ten day contracts for the rest of the year or since he is under our control can he participate in team events and practices, prior to him being signed?
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                      this is hypothetical. but....

if valanciunas is done before the raps are...

could we sign him to ten day contracts for the rest of the year or since he is under our control can he participate in team events and practices, prior to him being signed?
                      It wont happen you will have to wait until summer league to see him play.
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post
                        It wont happen you will have to wait until summer league to see him play.
                        i already know it probably won't happen that's why I put hypothetically.

but, can it ahppen is it allowed to happen?
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                          i already know it probably won't happen that's why I put hypothetically.

but, can it ahppen is it allowed to happen?
                          I don't know but I don't think so.

The reason why I say no is a first round draft pick has a guaranteed contract already in place. I would think the only way to sign the player for anything different than the guaranteed contract (2 years, plus 2 team option years) would be to renounce his rights.

I am sure part or maybe all the above is wrong but I don't think the hypothetical is possible.

Comment

• Raptors help pave way for arrival of JV

Dwane Casey did a double-take. The new Raptors coach was talking with team president Bryan Colangelo about Jonas Valanciunas, the center Toronto chose with the No. 5 pick in last year’s draft.

Valanciunas’ buyout agreement called for him to play one more year with Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania before he comes to the NBA, and Casey had asked Colangelo about the team’s coach. Colangelo told him the name: Alex Dzikic.

“Alex?” Casey said. “That’s my guy!”

Indeed, in an odd twist for the team and Valanciunas, Dzikic served as an assistant with the Timberwolves when Casey was Minnesota’s head coach five years ago. Now he is coaching Valanciunas. That might sound like something that was arranged in some sort of backroom deal, but actually, Dzikic was hired before Toronto tabbed Casey, and well before the NBA Draft.

“Small world,” Colangelo said. “It was happenstance. It is nice to know someone we knew and had a relationship with was in a position to instruct the young man. There has been some communication from a basketball standpoint, coach to coach, and then some of the other things we are hoping to implement, assessing where he is physically and putting him on a program that could supplement what he is doing for his team.”

The Raptors, naturally, are downplaying expectations for Valanciunas. He is only 19, after all, and it is probably not fair to heap pressure on him. But after substantial skepticism about the Valanciunas pick among Raptors fans—who wanted someone who could help the team right away—hopes have been risen based on the way Valanciunas has played, first in the FIBA U-19 World Championship (he was MVP), then in the Eurobasket tournament, where he was a rotation player for the Lithuanian national team.

Now, for Lietuvos Rytas, he has shown some brilliant flashes. He is averaging 8.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in six Euroleague games, and in one stretch of three Lithuanian league games at the end of December, he averaged 18.3 points on 67.7 percent shooting. And that was in just 19.3 minutes per game.

For Toronto, having Dzikic as the coach helps ensure that Valanciunas will be able to make a smooth transition to what the Raptors do on the court. “That’s a big thing,” Casey said, “because when he comes over next year, he is already going to know the system. I know Alex. They have the same defensive principles, the same system we have here. And he is going out and running it against men, against professionals who are 28, 29, 30 years old. He is not playing against college kids there. I think, when we get him, we are going to be very happy with where he is, basketball-wise.”

Making the basketball aspect of Valanciunas’ transition smooth is only one of a three-pronged approach the Raptors are taking. They also want Valanciunas to be on the right physical program, so when he comes in for summer league next year, he is in peak shape. And they want to begin some cultural assimilation. Before the draft last year, Valanciunas was clearly uncomfortable talking with the media—he can speak English but does not yet have a command of the language. That will be part of the agenda, too. Colangelo had hoped to have some of these things in place before now, but the lockout delayed those plans.

The Raptors will send assistant general manager Maurizio Gherardini to Lithuanua this month to begin working with Valanciunas.

Lietuvos Rytas, for its part, has been open to the Raptors’ involvement with Valanciunas. “They were pretty clear during the discussions, prior to the lockout, that there was some reluctance obviously to us having any kind of input or presence, basketball-wise,” Colangelo said. “But they had no problem with the other aspects of things. Anything we could be doing to help him, to supplement some of what he was already doing to have him ready for the next step, they had no problem with it. You don’t want to put yourself in a position where there is any kind of animosity from the team toward the NBA club. They might see it as interference, and we have been careful not to do that. We just want him to be as developed as he can when he comes.”

If he is, Toronto could be in a nice position. They’re a longshot for the playoffs this year, and if they don’t earn a postseason spot, they will have a lottery pick in a very deep draft to go with Valanciunas. They also have about $10 million in cap space next year, and could have as much as $10 million more if they use their amnesty clause waiver.

“We’re very happy with where we are positioned right now,” Colangelo said. “We want to make the playoffs—no one is instructing coach Casey to lay down and lose games. But no matter how it plays out, with Jonas, with the young players on our roster, with other pieces we will be in position to add, we like where we are.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...#ixzz1j0NbSBsg
                            Interesting comment on summer league next summer.

Comment

• Apparently Valanciunas was ill, flu or something like that, last weeks, and he wasn't practising today.

Coach interview
                              (At 00:20 he just mention JV isn't practising today, then talking other stuff, but starting 5:45 mark talking JV stuff till the end.

P.S. Gherardini was already in Arena, watching their last game and was seen talking with Jonas today.
                              Last edited by irgigi; Tue Jan 10, 2012, 07:16 AM. Reason: updated video

Comment

• Lithuania is participating in the last ditch tournament to get into the Olympics (2–8 July 2012). Summer League is usually in early July. I can't see Jonas not participating in the Olympic qualifier. As anybody heard anything different.

Comment

Working...
                                X