Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.krepsinis.net/nba/raptors...os-ryte/190054
    Raptors vice president M.Gherardini: Valančiūnas is lucky to be in Lietuvos rytas at this moment.

Our journalists interview, which wont be available in English I guess, but someone may be interested.

Briefly: Gherardini is looking forward for the CSKA game, doesn't judge Valanciunas on his last performance, in which he scored only 2pts. Thinks that he has improved, is mature as an personality, especially compared to others on his age. In his opinion Valanciunas will be available to adjust to NBA game, because he has all needed qualities of good NBA player and have already managed to adjust to very important roles in World Championship and Euro champ.

Furthermore, as mentioned in the title he believes that Valanciunas right now is in very good hands and is playing with a professional team. To the question "Do Raptors keep in touch with Lietuvos Rytas concerning Valančiūnas development" he answered, that yes and he's glad that teams have good relationship, they are sharing opinions and insights, although they cannot change the plans and objectives of L.Rytas, which are associated with JV.

Some insights about Sonny Weems, because he saw game between L.Rytas and Weems team. He is happy for him. And last question was about Raptors future plans, in which JV fits in perfectly, because he explained that Raptors are building their team around young players like DD, Bayless, Bargnani, ED.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 AM.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• There has been a lot of talk about how Jonas needs to put on weight to be most effective in the NBA because of the size of the centers/power forwards he will be matching up against. He has been playing against grown men for the last couple of years. Is there going to be that much difference playing in the NBA. I think the speed of the NBA players might be greater, but it looks like he is banging with guys 6'10" and up, weighing 225 -250. He certainly doesn't look out of place size wise. Anyone got any insight into how big his competition is?

Comment

• Weight isn't a problem trust me It's most unimportant, why? Those are things, which come with time. He's extremely tall, has long stretched arms, have you seen how skinny he was 15? He made quite an improvement. And at this rate of adding weight he will be strong enough at 23/24. I believe this topic shouldn't be emphasized anymore. Thus, he shown as you mentioned that he can compete even with his current weight.
        Last edited by RandomGuy; Tue Jan 10, 2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          For Toronto, having Dzikic as the coach helps ensure that Valanciunas will be able to make a smooth transition to what the Raptors do on the court. “That’s a big thing,” Casey said, “because when he comes over next year, he is already going to know the system. I know Alex. They have the same defensive principles, the same system we have here. And he is going out and running it against men, against professionals who are 28, 29, 30 years old. He is not playing against college kids there. I think, when we get him, we are going to be very happy with where he is, basketball-wise.”

Making the basketball aspect of Valanciunas’ transition smooth is only one of a three-pronged approach the Raptors are taking. They also want Valanciunas to be on the right physical program, so when he comes in for summer league next year, he is in peak shape..
          See Matt this is in layman's term the "Euro Crap" which I talked about in my thread and the Raptors were concerned about as well if JV didn't have the right coach or system but you decided to dismiss that and close my thread.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
            See Matt this is in layman's term the "Euro Crap" which I talked about in my thread and the Raptors were concerned about as well if JV didn't have the right coach or system but you decided to dismiss that and close my thread.
            ya, matt52.... you bastard!

i didn't think it would have to come to this but...

just admit it, you hate the godfather!!
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
              A few things:

1) the subject has been discussed in the past in a thread or two. It seems pretty clear form L. Rytas end and the Raptors end there is no chance of him coming.

2) This was your comment:

I doubt that is happening, he is too busy with his own team. I just hope the coaches there on his team won't ruin him and let him get away with too much "Euro" crap that do not translate or tolerated on an NBA level.
              I fail to see how your comment of, and I quote, '...."Euro" crap that do not translate or tolerated on an NBA level.' relates to this message of this article. The article discussed the coach having worked with Casey in the past (which is something that had already been posted on the forums prior to this) and running the same systems (which by the way is being run in Europe - so I guess Casey and the NBA is crap too?), he is playing against grown men (who by the way play the same "Euro" crap you seem intolerant to), and getting on a Raptors/NBA training program seems to be something any team would do with a prospect if they knew they would be on their team the following season - be it an NCAA or Euro prospect.

3) Within your thread Soft Euro specifically asked you what "Euro" crap meant:

Oh, yeah, Euro crap. Hate that. Btw, what is that exactly?
              To which there was no reply and I made this reply to the "Euro" crap statement:

Exactly. I think the comment was best ignored because clearly anyone who would apply the 'euro' stigma (which of itself is ridiculous and is another way of saying white, European jump shooter) to JV really does not know a thing about the guy. There are many North American players (white and black) who you could apply the 'euro' stigma to but of course we don't because it is ridiculous to begin with.
              To which there was also no reply.

4) From here we got comments related to nothing of value or importance to the discussion and it was, in my opinion, only a matter of time before the "Euro" crap hit the fan. The thread was locked with a post making reference to things in European toilets.

I apologize if I have somehow offended you. However, there was no clarification or follow up on your original statement and it appears I was not the only one to interpret it in a negative context. The reason why your thread was dismissed was because it was going to a place best left for RealGM or other forums with little to no guidelines or expectations. Also the fact there was already a thread about this subject didn't help the cause.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                ya, matt52.... you bastard!

i didn't think it would have to come to this but...

just admit it, you hate the godfather!!
                I'm a little amused and confused.

For what it is worth, I very much liked all three of "The Godfather" 's.

Comment

• BIG game for L. Rytas and JV today.

They are playing CKSA Moscow. Game is at noon eastern.

Comment

• http://sportlive.lt/Lietuvos-Rytas-v...ja-2012-01-11/
                    For those who want to see the game

Comment

• JV started.

He got off to a great start: 3/5 for 6 pts, 3 rebs, 1 ast but now he has 2 fouls in about 5-6 minutes of action.

Comment

• "In particular, a good basketball game. Both teams demonstrated a good game. Atmosphere in the arena - good. As for John, he tries to find his rhythm. It works well to block opponents attacks, throws. But I think he should be more included in the game. True, a few other well-played "Lithuanian Rytas players Seibutis, Rašičius, which falls well outside the penalty area. And when the door is open, it is necessary to go through them "- a match between Vilnius of Lithuania in the morning, and Kaunas Zalgiris break in an exclusive interview with the portal Krepsinis.net spoke to the Toronto Raptors' Maurizio Gherardini vice president.

Italian performance žibančio J. Valanciunas principinėje duel did not see - the mid-points of the attacker has won the fourth end of the half time (total - 2 pts.), And statistics "rescued" 8 rebounds in 19 minutes. Symbolically, his reputation against M. J. Gherardini Valanciunas will be able to correct the Wednesday duel against CSKA Moscow, but the Raptors' head should not give a categorical view of just two games - its value to a young Lithuanian talent proved to the world junior championship and the Lithuanian national team, as well as helping " Lithuanian Rytas 2011-2012 season.

Possibly appear before the "Grunwald" is hindered by too much attention from fans or, for example, the Raptors' vice president's visit?

"Pressure is part of basketball. Every day he must come to terms with stress. Need to learn how to avoid pressure during each match. How much I had to communicate with John, I had the impression that this is a mature personality and it can withstand the stress. From experience I can say that the young players are paid to do so. Good match to occur, there are bad, but everything on nesuversčiau pressure "- said M. Gherardini.

- Why choose now to come to Lithuania? - Portal Krepsinis.net said Raptors vice president.

- It is very important to follow the season in Europe, and we are even more important to follow John's season - as he is successful and how it progresses. An opportunity to observe how Valanciunas looks very strong against rivals, and the game against Zalgiris and CSKA Moscow will showcase how the player is improved.

- What kind of progress you see Valanciunas game since the last time you saw him playing live?

- Last I saw him once Junior World Championship in Latvia. Obviously, I have watched him through the computer. However, comparing his game now and in Latvia it is difficult - the significantly different roles. Not easy to compare the level of youth and men. However, I believe that all the benefits of the same - a very good fight for the ball, jumping, toughness, aggressiveness. In my opinion, Valanciunas grow as a player and getting better. I see now that it is much better known, when, where and how to rotate the square. This proves that it is working and moving forward. This is - okay.

- You see, as John compete here, "Siemens" arena, but can already imagine him fighting squares in the NBA?

- John is not even twenty, but it has everything to become a good player: capacity, height, bounce and basketball understanding. Now the NBA is a lot of newcomers who are 19-20 and they are getting used to a different basketball. In turn, John was lucky that he can now play good basketball, where you are today - a good team with a good coach. Therefore, it is currently raising its game. And when the time comes, he showed the world junior championship and the men's team, there is no doubt that it will pay to adapt to being a significant player.

- Are the Raptors maintain a relationship with Lithuania in the morning team, helping Valanciunas already get used to the NBA?

- No, no. Yes, both teams are in good relations, but we can not interfere in the Lithuanian morning's plans, objectives. But without a doubt, the connection is. Shared their views and comments. Nevertheless, John is now "Lithuanian Rytas player and he does everything to win his current team. But, of course, well, the Raptors "and Lithuanian Rytas contact.

- Lithuania's games and the club for representing another former Raptors player Sonny Weemsas. Or no regrets now that he is not the NBA and in Europe, where a perfect game?

- Sometimes the solutions are not only explains the value of the players. Sometimes a lot of time calculation, contract considerations. This year was an exceptional year for many teams, not just the Raptors had to take a decision on the lockout. I think that Weemsas took the best decision, coming at a high level team like Zalgiris' and continued to develop his game. This experience is very useful to him in the future and whether it is connected with Europe or the NBA. He likes in Europe, he enjoyed the experience. No one knows where it will be a few months.

- Do some Valanciunas finally come to Toronto, the team will be much difference?

- Now, it is difficult to talk about it. But I can say is that the team tried to rally around the young players. We are lucky as a club currently playing - compete much more aggressively, to better defend themselves. The game we are building on young players - Bargnanio, DeRozano, Davis, Baylesso. I think these players are the Raptors' future. How things unfold, we will see in the future"

Lithuanian article translated...somewhat poorly
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• L. Rytas/JV lose to CKSA Moscow

Big loss to arguably the best European team, 84-67.

I can't find a box score. I did watch a few minutes of the game but other things came up. For whatever reason, the VTB website is not letting me see much.

Comment

• You have to love this thread that so closely follows our man in Europe. Can't wait to see him in the red and white...or red and black...or camouflage...whatever. Not too worried about his two points the other night. He only took 3 shots. If one more went in we'd be lauding his 67% touch. As noted, he must not have been feeling too well. Onwards and upwards

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Big loss to arguably the best European team, 84-67.

I can't find a box score. I did watch a few minutes of the game but other things came up. For whatever reason, the VTB website is not letting me see much.

VTB website finally agreeing with my computer. Box score here.

JV's line:

27:20 min
                              10 points
                              4/10 fg
                              2/2 ft
                              11 rebs (5 offensive)
                              2 asts
                              0 stl
                              0 blk
                              0 to
                              3 fouls (2 in first 6 minutes of game)
                              17 eff

It is unfortunate he got in to the early foul trouble. He was on a roll early (3/5 fg) with a nice drive for a dunk and putback for a dunk.

Comment

• Jonas Valančiūnas 10pts (11 rebs) vs CSKA 18 mins, cannot get more stats

Comment

Working...
                                X