Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look who's number 1

I can't seem to connect the link now but check out espn's top 3 plays from the NBA last night. Hint...you'll have to stick around until they get to number 1.

Comment

• Comment

• What a waste. Are we seriously going to see Val in the bench whenever opposing teams go small against us??
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
          What a waste. Are we seriously going to see Val in the bench whenever opposing teams go small against us??
          Cats played with Biyombo and Roberts(or something) and we went with Landry.

Casey likes how we play small so we cannot change that.

JV stats so far:

24min, 9.8 PPG ( 8.6 shots p/g ), 8 REB ( 3 off ), 1 BS with 17.73 PER ( highest on the team )

JV p n r defense is much worse than it was last year, I'm not sure but in this position who should be blamed, but in my opinion it's coaching staff, JV doesn't know when to hedge at all.

I hope and want to see JV playing at least 30 mins per game, but if Casey wants to play small everytime - then so be it, hopefully JV will do better next year.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            Cats played with Biyombo and Roberts(or something) and we went with Landry.

Casey likes how we play small so we cannot change that.

JV stats so far:

24min, 9.8 PPG ( 8.6 shots p/g ), 8 REB ( 3 off ), 1 BS with 17.73 PER ( highest on the team )

JV p n r defense is much worse than it was last year, I'm not sure but in this position who should be blamed, but in my opinion it's coaching staff, JV doesn't know when to hedge at all.

I hope and want to see JV playing at least 30 mins per game, but if Casey wants to play small everytime - then so be it, hopefully JV will do better next year.
            And that right there is my biggest fear.

Raptors need to stop with the potential and the 'next year'.

You don't bring talent like JV slowly along on a playoff bubble team. Throw him out there, let him get the experience, teach him/coach him along the way. The lack of development overall and the deterioration in some areas is the most damning element of the coaching staff this year, in my opinion.... worse than the in game coaching and decisions.

Comment

• Just browsing the general stats from some of the other young, up and coming centres in the league

pts/rebs/blks/per:

Anthony Davis - 21/11/3.1/29.83 (that's nuts by the way)
              Andre Drummond - 11/11/1.6/21.65 (outstanding)
              Enes Kanter - 16/7/0.8/17.45
              JV - 9/7/1.1/13.96

Is there anything to be concerned about with JV's seemingly slower development (College experience vs. Euroleague debate)?

Is he maybe not as good as the hype that surrounds him (Is JV more Noah than Dwight)?

Is he maybe not as athletic as thes other players (He seems to be plodding up and down the court, and doesn't exactly jump that high. He's not the athlete he looked like he was in his teens)?

Thoughts?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                Just browsing the general stats from some of the other young, up and coming centres in the league

pts/rebs/blks/per:

Anthony Davis - 21/11/3.1/29.83 (that's nuts by the way)
                Andre Drummond - 11/11/1.6/21.65 (outstanding)
                Enes Kanter - 16/7/0.8/17.45
                JV - 9/7/1.1/13.96

Is there anything to be concerned about with JV's seemingly slower development (College experience vs. Euroleague debate)?

Is he maybe not as good as the hype that surrounds him (Is JV more Noah than Dwight)?

Is he maybe not as athletic as thes other players (He seems to be plodding up and down the court, and doesn't exactly jump that high. He's not the athlete he looked like he was in his teens)?

Thoughts?
                Comes down to minutes.
                Why wouldn't you include those in your stats when the discussion has been solely about JVs minutes not being enough for his talent.

Anthony Davis is playing 36mpg.
                Drummond is playing 34mpg.
                Kanter is playing 34mpg.
                JV is playing 26mpg.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Comes down to minutes.
                  Why wouldn't you include those in your stats when the discussion has been solely about JVs minutes not being enough for his talent.
                  Seriously bra.

Also, forget about JV comparing to Davis. Davis was being touted as a franchise player since he was at Kentucky; no one ever said that about JV.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Comes down to minutes.

Anthony Davis is playing 36mpg.
                    Drummond is playing 34mpg.
                    Kanter is playing 34mpg.
                    JV is playing 26mpg.
                    No ulterior motives behind not mentioning the minutes, but does he get less minutes because he tends to make a lot more mistakes (my first question about slower development)? Or is it just those other guys on the list are allowed to play through their mistakes? PER is through the roof on a couple of those guys too.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Seriously bra.

Also, forget about JV comparing to Davis. Davis was being touted as a franchise player since he was at Kentucky; no one ever said that about JV.
                      That's a good point, but there were some people saying JV could have gone second in that draft. IMO JV isn't doing poorly but hasn't looked as good as I thought he might. Just curious if others feel the same way or are my expectations too high.

Comment

No ulterior motives behind not mentioning the minutes, but does he get less minutes because he tends to make a lot more mistakes (my first question about slower development)? Or is it just those other guys on the list are allowed to play through their mistakes? PER is through the roof on a couple of those guys too.
                        I think it's not only a matter of minutes played but, especially compared to those players, Valanciunas is really an afterthought in DC's offense. I think it speaks to the various methods of developing young players. Davis & Drummond were spoon-fed minutes & opportunities from day 1, being on horrendous teams. Kanter didn't get much burn until this season, playing behind Jefferson & Millsap. JV has taken a similar route as Kanter, but more due to coaching decisions, rather than team depth.

I'd love JV to get more playing time and more opportunities on offense. I'd also like to see MU bring in a veteran C to play behind and mentor JV throughout the season.

Comment

That's a good point, but there were some people saying JV could have gone second in that draft. IMO JV isn't doing poorly but hasn't looked as good as I thought he might. Just curious if others feel the same way or are my expectations too high.
                          Of course his PER is low; he's playing on a team with multiple players that can SCORE AT WILL. Why should they ever get him the ball?!?
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• So I guess there are no concerns as it pertains to JV. Carry on.

Comment

I think expectations are too high for him. Still think 13/8.5 this season on 55%+ shooting is a reasonable goal.

Definitely think he has underachieved a bit too.

Definitely think he is being underutilized and not getting an opportunity to play through mistakes which is unfortunate considering any success this team has this season or in the future is going to contingent on his development.

Comment

So I guess there are no concerns as it pertains to JV. Carry on.
                                I will develop a concern if DC continues to underutilize him, especially if it becomes apparent that the team is focusing on the future and his playing time & usage don't both increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X