Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Part of that is generally on the peronnel we have. If Jonas isn't playing well, no one else is a good matchup.

In that Wiz game, Jonas was struggling against Gortat....The thing is, nobody did anything to slow him down. Gortat did just as much, if not more, damage with Jonas out even though Jonas was playing shitty.

In the Minny game, Jonas struggled with Pek early, but was a huge difference maker in the 2nd half. Played him much stronger and totally slowed him down.

Again, the problem is that our other guys, while smarter/quicker defenders, are just more limited in matchups. Either of the above guys can push or go over our other bigs. The same goes for a guy like Blatche who is too big for Amir/2Pat, and too quick with the ball for Tyler. And a guy like Jordan, who is too athletic/long for all our guys, and who actually has been played a lot by our other guys since Casey has put JV on Blake to try and match up strength, since Amir tends to get destroyed by Griffin.

They're all natural PFs, and none of them other than Hansbrough are very strong. Part of the reason the Amir/2Pat duo works so well is that if the other team doesn't have a great post threat (which is not unusual in this day and age of lacking quality low-post bigs), they're far and away the quickest guys defensively, and so the best at being in position. Both have struggled in certain ways if forced to guard bigger matchups in the post.
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Well said. You also touched on one of the reasons fans are so excited by JV as a prospect. He can become a legit post-up guy, and in a league where there aren't many, he can therefore create the match-up problem for other teams. Growing pains to get there are to be expected.
    I agree that he has done very good at times with taking the bigger people out of games, or at least doing better than anyone else on the team.

Regardless of how he is playing, one thing I notice when he leaves the floor is how bad we become at rebounding. Yes he makes mistakes and is a work in progress, but I do not think he is a detriment when he is out there. ESPECIALLY if he is being engaged on offense in the PnR by his teammates. He really don't think that the majority of the time he is detrimental, he is constantly pushing and leaning and taking up space on both sides of the floor in terms of rebounding...and IMO rebounding is one of the most improtant aspects of the game.***

I really like how we match up with teams when we have him in our lineup vs the small ball line-ups. I would like to see a Hansborough-Val lineup more often when teams are crashing the boards well. They could completely change the look of the Raps....rather than that stupid fn Novak-Hayes thing Casey runs when we get outrebounded to "give us a different look" and "make them go small to help our rebounding"

***since the counting of stats (so like tens of thousands of games), the team that has won the rebounding battle has won the game something like 64% of the time (don't know exact)...JV is a very good rebounder already and it does show when he is not on the floor
    Last edited by OldSkoolCool; Tue Mar 11, 2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I really like how we match up with teams when we have him in our lineup vs the small ball line-ups. I would like to see a Hansborough-Val lineup more often when teams are crashing the boards well. They could completely change the look of the Raps....rather than that stupid fn Novak-Hayes thing Casey runs when we get outrebounded to "give us a different look" and "make them go small to help our rebounding"

It's not just a Casey thing though. So few coaches seem willing to back their big players against a smaller lineup. So often I see a coach make a switch to a smaller lineup, and the opposing coach instantly counters with a small lineup of his own. Even better Centers than JV get dragged in such situations.

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
        yo underdograptors did you get banned from realgm again? Hhahahaha
        No lol who is this
        I been singing and rapping I make a killin' in both If i had to choose a Jackson man I'm feelin' like Bo ~ king drizzy

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
          It's not just a Casey thing though. So few coaches seem willing to back their big players against a smaller lineup. So often I see a coach make a switch to a smaller lineup, and the opposing coach instantly counters with a small lineup of his own. Even better Centers than JV get dragged in such situations.
          Can easily say the same about it going the other way.

Team's don't go into Indiana thinking they will be able to play small ball because Indiana makes you play big. We should look to do the same because our big man rotation is one of the strongest in the league. Casey however is not playing to one of our strengths.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            Can easily say the same about it going the other way.

Team's don't go into Indiana thinking they will be able to play small ball because Indiana makes you play big. We should look to do the same because our big man rotation is one of the strongest in the league. Casey however is not playing to one of our strengths.
            I'm not saying I approve, just commenting on what I see teams do. It really pisses me off when teams don't back their size to beat smaller lineups and resort to the easy way out and match the smaller lineup. I actually do see people try and go small to beat Indiana fairly often. For example Golden State tried even though they have an outstanding defensive center. Teams like Indiana and Memphis back their size against anyone, and yeh..i'd like it if Casey would do the same.

Comment

• Nice article about how Magloire is working with JV.
              http://probballreport.com/raptors-jo...maal-magloire/

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                Nice article about how Magloire is working with JV.
                http://probballreport.com/raptors-jo...maal-magloire/
                Geez, it's no wonder Jonas is struggling so much

Comment

• Getting really tired of all this JV is being mishandled by Casey talk. The guy is a 7 foot giant but everyone is so concerned about how fragile his confidence is. If it's that fragile he shouldn't be in the league.

Take a look at some videos on Youtube of Popovich and Tony Parker when Parker was entering the league....heck how Pop coaches Parker now even.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    Getting really tired of all this JV is being mishandled by Casey talk. The guy is a 7 foot giant but everyone is so concerned about how fragile his confidence is. If it's that fragile he shouldn't be in the league.

Take a look at some videos on Youtube of Popovich and Tony Parker when Parker was entering the league....heck how Pop coaches Parker now even.
                    Couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting really tired of all this JV is being mishandled by Casey talk. The guy is a 7 foot giant but everyone is so concerned about how fragile his confidence is. If it's that fragile he shouldn't be in the league.

you gotta understand not every player is the same
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                        Although it seems the fans are more concerned over Jonas' fragility than Jonas himself (or anyone associated with the Raptors).

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                          Same could be said to those whining about how he's being mistreated

Comment

Size has no correlation to confidence or emotional stability as the bold implies.

I played 5 years of CIS ball and turned down the possibility to play in Europe. I'm not sure a lot of people who are talking here realize how important confidence is in playing your best. I also don't think they've ever been in high pressure situations to fully grasp how important the mental part of the game is. Just my observations from my own playing experiences tied in to 20+ years of following the NBA.

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
                              Same could be said to those whining about how he's being mistreated
                              Whining or discussing?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Whining or discussing?
                                You got me there

Comment

Working...
                                X