Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    16&10 is the magic number to be an elite center in the NBA these days. He can do it this year I think.
    He'd be at 14.3 and 10.4 had he played 32 mpg.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      He'd be at 14.3 and 10.4 had he played 32 mpg.
      Well, he would've been at 14/10 had he played 32 mpg last year.

Depending on how much he improves, he might touch 16/11 if he plays 32 mpg this year.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post

Depending on how much he improves, he might touch 16/11 if he plays 32 mpg this year.
        I don't think you want him logging in at 32 minutes a game.

There are only 36 minutes available in the first 3 quarters and I just don't think 4 minutes of rest is going to be enough.
        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

That's exactly what I said haha

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
            That's exactly what I said haha
            It's just that you worded it in the present rather than the past. He'll improve, hopefully, in per 32 and per 36 is what I'm saying.

Comment

It's just that you worded it in the present rather than the past. He'll improve, hopefully, in per 32 and per 36 is what I'm saying.
              "Had he played" but it's whatever, we agree on the point

Comment

• A few days ago, Amin Elhassan posted his list of Top 10 2016 FA AAV's. Today Kevin Pelton, also of ESPN Insider posted 10 more, including Jonas. His take:

Quietly, last season Valanciunas took the step forward long expected from the former No. 5 overall pick. Valanciunas averaged 16.5 points and 11.9 rebounds on 57.2 percent shooting per 36 minutes, posting a 20.6 PER -- slightly better than Enes Kanter of the Oklahoma City Thunder, who just got the maximum $70 million over four years as a restricted free agent. Valanciunas hasn't made as much progress defensively, a big reason why his minutes dropped from 28.2 per game in 2013-14 to 26.2 last season. But any development at that end could set him up for a mammoth payday, especially since Toronto may not be interested in tying up its potential cap space with an extension this fall.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  A few days ago, Amin Elhassan posted his list of Top 10 2016 FA AAV's. Today Kevin Pelton, also of ESPN Insider posted 10 more, including Jonas. His take:
                  Nice find. I still don't like references to Jonas' developmental curve as "slow" "disappointing" etc. The guy's just played three seasons, is getting better, and just turned 23. Most of us Raptors fans would like to see a bit more opportunity for him, but overall he's doing fine. He's not a clear-cut superstar like Anthony Davis.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Jonas Valanciunas' development will make or break the Raptors' season

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/2...tats-breakdown

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                      Jonas Valanciunas' development will make or break the Raptors' season

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/2...tats-breakdown
                      Nice article - pretty fair and objective about the pros and cons and the context of last season. I'd disagree only with the final "APOCALYPSE NOW!!!" conclusion that Jonas is going to make or break the Raps season. Yeah, Amir and Tyler are gone, but either Jonas is going to play a bigger role and do it well, or Casey is going to shuffle some more mobile/smaller players in and out of the forward spots. Either way, the Raptors are such a guard-dominated team I don't think any of the bigs will make or break next seasons.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

A few days ago, Amin Elhassan posted his list of Top 10 2016 FA AAV's. Today Kevin Pelton, also of ESPN Insider posted 10 more, including Jonas. His take:
                        I love the knocks on JV defense when he leads the team in defensive win shares.

These guys need to do more watching of games and less listening to a coach slamming all the square pegs in the round holes.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          I love the knocks on JV defense when he leads the team in defensive win shares.

These guys need to do more watching of games and less listening to a coach slamming all the square pegs in the round holes.
                          Win shares is not as advanced a stat as you believe.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Win shares is not as advanced a stat as you believe.
                            Yeah, DRPM is vastly better.

Jonas was 5th on the team in DRPM if I recall correctly.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

"Quietly, last season Valanciunas took the step forward long expected from the former No. 5 overall pick. Valanciunas averaged 16.5 points and 11.9 rebounds on 57.2 percent shooting per 36 minutes, posting a 20.6 PER -- slightly better than Enes Kanter of the Oklahoma City Thunder, who just got the maximum $70 million over four years as a restricted free agent. Valanciunas hasn't made as much progress defensively, a big reason why his minutes dropped from 28.2 per game in 2013-14 to 26.2 last season. But any development at that end could set him up for a mammoth payday, especially since Toronto may not be interested in tying up its potential cap space with an extension this fall."
                              Perfect analysis of where Big Val is ...

Comment

• Seems pretty fair to me
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X