Page 38 of 192 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Skaloon wrote: View Post
    this:

i see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable
    Damnit thead, You just made me look silly. Haha

Fine Skaloon ... find me another person saying that! ... hahaha

Regardless, I think the point is, that while there are those who's expectations are fairly optimistic, the majority of the fan base has maintained a fairly level head throughout the JV process.

Our enthusiasm has, for the most part, been curbed.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Damnit thead, You just made me look silly. Haha
    well if you don't hold same convictions liek thead - then it's all good. i do think that JV gonna have like 10/6 at his second year - cause kid is working hard and he is really determined. but how much can he improve from decent bench player and can he be an actual star in NBA - i wouldn't bet on it.
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes they do know more - FAR more. but what they say - it's not sincere. my example, of naming Valanciunas the best basketball player in europe this year - shows how sincere NBA scouts are - when they make public statements
    I think you are confusing the North Americans saying who is the best prospect in Europe vs. who is the best player playing in Europe.

Post Thanks / Like

this:

i see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable
    I would hardly call 10 pts, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks stats worthy of fanbase expecting a rookie to be a superstar. Depending on minutes played, I'd be happy with 7/7/1 - 8/8/1 to start. Fans get pissed of when Bargnani only gets 5-6 rebounds a game in 30 mins, I sincerely hope for JV's sake that he can grab 7-9 RPG in 25-30 MPG. The 7-10 PPG shouldn't be that difficult if he gets that 25-30 MPG, just from garbage putback and free throws. If us fans were expecting Kevin Love type numbers, that would be unfair expectations, but 7/7 - 10/10 range I don't see as being too unrealistic, assuming he's playing at least 25-30 MPG.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I think you are confusing the North Americans saying who is the best prospect in Europe vs. who is the best player playing in Europe.
    http://www.nba.com/news/features/201...vey/index.html

general managers. however, i do not know exactly the structure of nba system and what general managers do. enlighten me if you can

Post Thanks / Like

well if you don't hold same convictions liek thead - than it's all good. i do think that JV gonna have like 10/6 at his second year.
    I'd say 8/6 are are reasonable numbers to expect of him as a rookie.
    And assuming he takes well to coaching, expecting an 'Andrew Bynum/Joakim Noah' type of outcome, is not completely out of the question, by the time he is 25 or 26 years old.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I would hardly call 10 pts, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks stats worthy of fanbase expecting a rookie to be a superstar. Depending on minutes played, I'd be happy with 7/7/1 - 8/8/1 to start. Fans get pissed of when Bargnani only gets 5-6 rebounds a game in 30 mins, I sincerely hope for JV's sake that he can grab 7-9 RPG in 25-30 MPG. The 7-10 PPG shouldn't be that difficult if he gets that 25-30 MPG, just from garbage putback and free throws. If us fans were expecting Kevin Love type numbers, that would be unfair expectations, but 7/7 - 10/10 range I don't see as being too unrealistic, assuming he's playing at least 25-30 MPG.
    i really doubt that JV gonna be in the starting five and imo he'll play not more than 20 MPG first year. but we'll see - enough speculations. hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu May 31st, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
    This would make a good toast before a night of drinking!!

But yes, I think we can all agree on this last line.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Skaloon, 10/6 on his second year, really? I mean I get that you're not a fan of this huge hype surrounding JV, but... this just looks a little ignorant. I think 10/6 on his second season would be pretty close to worst case scenario. And no, I'm not biased, I'm a Zalgiris fan all the way, I just like looking at things objectively.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Joey...although having watched a number of the games and with his MOTOR...10 pts is a couple of free throws, a couple of tip ins the odd oop and layup....seems doable in 20-25 minutes for him. I figured 10 boards as Davis could almost do that in his rookie season and doesn't have the motor or length of JV....I could be reaching on the swats though....let's go with 1.9....

well my expectations may be rosy I don't think they are without merit. 10/10/2 is certainly not all star calibre, nor do I expect that. I'm saving my 20/10/3 expectations for his second year...i kid i kid

Post Thanks / Like

enlighten me if you can
    General Mangers GMs of which Bryan Colangelo is ours, oversee all personnel decisions, from drafting, player development, coaching, trades, scouting etc... They provide a team with a plan/direction on how to build towards a winning program.

Post Thanks / Like

i really doubt that JV gonna be in the starting five and imo he'll play not more than 20 MPG first year. but we'll see - enough speculations. hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
    There are two schools of thought on that.

Jay Triano was trial by fire. Mix your rookie in with the starting lineup, play them big minutes and let them make mistakes.

Dwayne Casey makes rookies and young players earn their minutes and their role. Nothing is given and everything is earned....BUT because of the serious hole we have at the five...Valanciunas may get extended minutes and learn his lessons quickly and they hard way. I honestly have no opinion on which way works better.

Post Thanks / Like

i still think its prudent to drop some bucks on a guy like Asik to come and split minutes with big V. He could easily start for a bit while Val acclimates to the pro game and then become a solid bench player.

I guess you could do the same with Gray but i dunno if having two foul prone centers is necessarily a good thing.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

i still think its prudent to drop some bucks on a guy like Asik to come and split minutes with big V. He could easily start for a bit while Val acclimates to the pro game and then become a solid bench player.

I guess you could do the same with Gray but i dunno if having two foul prone centers is necessarily a good thing.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

we can also sign Magloire again...then we will have three foul prone centers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Sorry Joey...although having watched a number of the games and with his MOTOR...10 pts is a couple of free throws, a couple of tip ins the odd oop and layup....seems doable in 20-25 minutes for him. I figured 10 boards as Davis could almost do that in his rookie season and doesn't have the motor or length of JV....I could be reaching on the swats though....let's go with 1.9....

well my expectations may be rosy I don't think they are without merit. 10/10/2 is certainly not all star calibre, nor do I expect that. I'm saving my 20/10/3 expectations for his second year...i kid i kid
    By no means do I see these as being without merit. Quite the opposite actually. I absolutely see where the optimism comes from.

However, I think a good place to start would be looking at a guy like Greg Monroe. If JV can start off his career in a similar fashion as Monroe, I'd be ecstatic. I believe he finished his rookie year with 9 and 7.5.
    Anywhere in that range, and I'm a happy camper.

But its also in how he carries himself as a center. Monroe doesn't back down from anyone. He belongs with the big boys. And I think JV does as well.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Noah as a comparison that I like for JV. Noah was 22 in his first full season and he was comfortable in America. Noah's stats as a rookie were:

MPG - 20.7
    REB - 9.8
    BLK - 1.5
    PF - 4.1
    PTS - 11.5

Noah had better assists and steals stats than I think JV will have. I don't fully agree with Skaloon, but I think he makes a good point and reminds me not to get too caught up in the hype. Both Colangelo and Casey have mentioned in pressers that the focus will not be fully on JV next season and have hinted that there will be player(s) added to this team this summer that will impact the upcoming season much more than JV.
    Last edited by The Coach; Fri Jun 1st, 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    I have used Noah as a comparison that I like for JV. Noah was 22 in his first full season and he was comfortable in America. Noah's stats as a rookie were:

MPG - 20.7
    REB - 9.8
    BLK - 1.5
    PF - 4.1
    PTS - 11.5

Noah had better assists and steals stats than I think JV will have. I don't fully agree with Skaloon, but I think he makes a good point and reminds me not to get too caught up in the hype. Both Colangelo and Casey have mentioned in pressers that the focus will not be fully on JV next season and have hinted that there will be player(s) added to this team this summer that will impact the upcoming season much more than JV.
    ... Those aren't Joakim Noah's Rookie stats Coach.

They were 6.6pts/5.6rpg/1.1apg/0.9bpg according to NBA.com

His second year in the Playoffs was when he had his coming out Party.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    ... Those aren't Joakim Noah's Rookie stats Coach.

They were 6.6pts/5.6rpg/1.1apg/0.9bpg according to NBA.com

His second year in the Playoffs was when he had his coming out Party.
    Sorry, thanks for the clear up... I was using the basketball reference stats and after minutes per game I must have started looking at the per 36 minutes stats. Those stats are even more grounding then. Here is the actual page so people can see for themselves and not trust my copying skills.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like

Some other comparisons:
    Kanter - 13mpg = 4.2reb, 4.8pts, 0.3blks
    Thompson - 23.7mpg = 6.5reb, 8.2pts, 1blk

Page 38 of 192 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread Information