Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Nomrally yes, but in a busy schedule normally there will be light practices on the day after; of course I have no clue how this is with Rytas.

I'm not sure, he has been playing an awful lot of games, barely getting any serious periods without games for quite some time now. At the start of the I was worrying about signs of staleness and they gave him some time off, but if he starts practising and playing with the national team right after the season and heads straight over to the Raptors after the Olympics I think he will be with a team (national or club) almost non-stop for about two years (didn't really research all the dates and stuff, but I think this is correct) and I don't think that's very healthy. (Especially young) players need time to 'replenish'.
    Good points.

One good thing about young players is the the down time needed is generally much less than a 25+ plus year old.

Comment

• Rytas is prioritizing LKL & VTB over BBL therefore they gave some rest to their starters. That and intense schedule are probably the main reasons why JV's stats weren't that good as of late. I expect good performances from JV facing CSKA Moscow in VTB semifinals & Zalgiris in LKL finals.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Good points.

One good thing about young players is the the down time needed is generally much less than a 25+ plus year old.
        Physiologically you are probably right, but with young athletes, spending all their time on sport can lead to psychological issues which can cause forms of stress which are not as prevalent in older athletes that have already formed their identity. Playing all year round doesn't seem psychologically healthy to me, especially for young athletes. But all this could be a moot point as the overuse/stalleness theory is just speculation on my part by looking at a few boxscores; so untill further evidence and/or comments by our Lithuanian border, I won't take my theory very seriously...

Comment

• omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
          Rytas is prioritizing LKL & VTB over BBL therefore they gave some rest to their starters. That and intense schedule are probably the main reasons why JV's stats weren't that good as of late. I expect good performances from JV facing CSKA Moscow in VTB semifinals & Zalgiris in LKL finals.
          Thanks for the insights as always! Much appreciated.

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            Physiologically you are probably right, but with young athletes, spending all their time on sport can lead to psychological issues which can cause forms of stress which are not as prevalent in older athletes that have already formed their identity. Playing all year round doesn't seem psychologically healthy to me, especially for young athletes. But all this could be a moot point as the overuse/stalleness theory is just speculation on my part by looking at a few boxscores; so untill further evidence and/or comments by our Lithuanian border, I won't take my theory very seriously...
            Again, good points.

I think once a young athlete picks his/her main sport - in this case JV with basketball - 4-6 weeks off from basketball practice/competition is sufficient while still focusing on physical development/conditioning and skill development.

I have no backing on that other than my own experience (which is far below NBA or senior international competition) so take it for what it is worth - nothing!

Comment

• My primary concern is with strength and muscle development, both of which Jonas needs, by all accounts. Muscle growth, both in terms of size and capability, occur during downtime, particularly sleep. Recovery times required for young athletes is much less than as they get older, but still they need recovery time. It looks to me like JV has actually lost a little weight in the last month and a bit, based on the videos. He could be getting overworked.

Of course, this happens with all professional athletes in an extended schedule, high intensity sport like bball, soccer, hockey etc. and not so much baseball, polo and darts.

I hope he gets 3-4 weeks off before the Olympic training sets in. Having said that, the Olympic training may not involve as much effort as the pro schedule - less travel, controlled scrimmages, working on set pieces as opposed to actual games.

Comment

• Valanciunas will join the training camp on May 30. On June 20-29 they will continue training camp in Houston and have games with Great Britain and Russia. So basically Val will have 3 weeks of rest if he decides to use that time for it.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                  Valanciunas will join the training camp on May 30. On June 20-29 they will continue training camp in Houston and have games with Great Britain and Russia. So basically Val will have 3 weeks of rest if he decides to use that time for it.
                  im sorta confused. How can he play great britain and russia if he's in houston?

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    im sorta confused. How can he play great britain and russia if he's in houston?
                    These are probably tuneup/exhibition games prior to the Olmpic Qualifying tournament in Venezuela.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                      These are probably tuneup/exhibition games prior to the Olmpic Qualifying tournament in Venezuela.
                      Yes.

Comment

• VTB semifinals LIVE. CSKĄ vs L.Rytas

http://www.lshunter.tv/streams/1/lshrytas.html

Comment

• Rough day at the office for JV versus CSKA Moscow. L. Rytas lost 79-72.

JV:

14:00 minutes
                          2 points
                          0/2 fig
                          2/2 ft
                          2 rebounds
                          0 assists
                          0 steals
                          0 blocks
                          2 turnovers
                          3 fouls
                          0 efficiency

Boxscore

Comment

• another center played game of his career, JV was neutralized. Coach saw no need to bring back JV again.

Comment

• JV vs lokomotiv kuban 15pts(6/9fg 3/4ft) 6rebs(3/3) 3asists 1block 21eff in 25min. in the third place, bounce back game. The thing that stood out to me most was the wide array of ways JV was scoring tonight: a couple of post moves, a couple of tip ins, a quick catch and shoot mid-range jumper, a nifty layup. The potential is there, but consistency is quite a problem this time in the season(fatique and inexperiance may be the cause of it). Up next, a couple days later, for JV and Rytas the matchup against their rivals Kauno "Zalgiris" in the Lithuanian league finals

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Rough day at the office for JV versus CSKA Moscow. L. Rytas lost 79-72.

JV:

14:00 minutes
                                2 points
                                0/2 fig
                                2/2 ft
                                2 rebounds
                                0 assists
                                0 steals
                                0 blocks
                                2 turnovers
                                3 fouls
                                0 efficiency