Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skaloon wrote: View Post
    enlighten me if you can
    General Mangers GMs of which Bryan Colangelo is ours, oversee all personnel decisions, from drafting, player development, coaching, trades, scouting etc... They provide a team with a plan/direction on how to build towards a winning program.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Skaloon wrote: View Post
      i really doubt that JV gonna be in the starting five and imo he'll play not more than 20 MPG first year. but we'll see - enough speculations. hope for the best - prepare for the worst. hopefully no injuries...
      There are two schools of thought on that.

Jay Triano was trial by fire. Mix your rookie in with the starting lineup, play them big minutes and let them make mistakes.

Dwayne Casey makes rookies and young players earn their minutes and their role. Nothing is given and everything is earned....BUT because of the serious hole we have at the five...Valanciunas may get extended minutes and learn his lessons quickly and they hard way. I honestly have no opinion on which way works better.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• i still think its prudent to drop some bucks on a guy like Asik to come and split minutes with big V. He could easily start for a bit while Val acclimates to the pro game and then become a solid bench player.

I guess you could do the same with Gray but i dunno if having two foul prone centers is necessarily a good thing.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• i still think its prudent to drop some bucks on a guy like Asik to come and split minutes with big V. He could easily start for a bit while Val acclimates to the pro game and then become a solid bench player.

I guess you could do the same with Gray but i dunno if having two foul prone centers is necessarily a good thing.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            i still think its prudent to drop some bucks on a guy like Asik to come and split minutes with big V. He could easily start for a bit while Val acclimates to the pro game and then become a solid bench player.

we can also sign Magloire again...then we will have three foul prone centers

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              Sorry Joey...although having watched a number of the games and with his MOTOR...10 pts is a couple of free throws, a couple of tip ins the odd oop and layup....seems doable in 20-25 minutes for him. I figured 10 boards as Davis could almost do that in his rookie season and doesn't have the motor or length of JV....I could be reaching on the swats though....let's go with 1.9....

well my expectations may be rosy I don't think they are without merit. 10/10/2 is certainly not all star calibre, nor do I expect that. I'm saving my 20/10/3 expectations for his second year...i kid i kid
              By no means do I see these as being without merit. Quite the opposite actually. I absolutely see where the optimism comes from.

However, I think a good place to start would be looking at a guy like Greg Monroe. If JV can start off his career in a similar fashion as Monroe, I'd be ecstatic. I believe he finished his rookie year with 9 and 7.5.
              Anywhere in that range, and I'm a happy camper.

But its also in how he carries himself as a center. Monroe doesn't back down from anyone. He belongs with the big boys. And I think JV does as well.

Comment

• I have used Noah as a comparison that I like for JV. Noah was 22 in his first full season and he was comfortable in America. Noah's stats as a rookie were:

MPG - 20.7
                REB - 9.8
                BLK - 1.5
                PF - 4.1
                PTS - 11.5

Noah had better assists and steals stats than I think JV will have. I don't fully agree with Skaloon, but I think he makes a good point and reminds me not to get too caught up in the hype. Both Colangelo and Casey have mentioned in pressers that the focus will not be fully on JV next season and have hinted that there will be player(s) added to this team this summer that will impact the upcoming season much more than JV.
                Last edited by The Coach; Fri Jun 1, 2012, 12:44 AM.
                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                ― John Wooden

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
                  I have used Noah as a comparison that I like for JV. Noah was 22 in his first full season and he was comfortable in America. Noah's stats as a rookie were:

MPG - 20.7
                  REB - 9.8
                  BLK - 1.5
                  PF - 4.1
                  PTS - 11.5

Noah had better assists and steals stats than I think JV will have. I don't fully agree with Skaloon, but I think he makes a good point and reminds me not to get too caught up in the hype. Both Colangelo and Casey have mentioned in pressers that the focus will not be fully on JV next season and have hinted that there will be player(s) added to this team this summer that will impact the upcoming season much more than JV.
                  ... Those aren't Joakim Noah's Rookie stats Coach.

They were 6.6pts/5.6rpg/1.1apg/0.9bpg according to NBA.com

His second year in the Playoffs was when he had his coming out Party.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    ... Those aren't Joakim Noah's Rookie stats Coach.

They were 6.6pts/5.6rpg/1.1apg/0.9bpg according to NBA.com

His second year in the Playoffs was when he had his coming out Party.
                    Sorry, thanks for the clear up... I was using the basketball reference stats and after minutes per game I must have started looking at the per 36 minutes stats. Those stats are even more grounding then. Here is the actual page so people can see for themselves and not trust my copying skills.
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• Some other comparisons:
                      Kanter - 13mpg = 4.2reb, 4.8pts, 0.3blks
                      Thompson - 23.7mpg = 6.5reb, 8.2pts, 1blk
                      ― John Wooden

Comment

• Pretty interesting stuff. Darko was brought up but I think there are a couple reasons why comparing JV to Darko is flawed.

1/Darko was drafted by a successful team that had no time to develop him, JV will get more coaching, and more game time minutes to figure things out.

2/ Darko may have been a much better player overall at this age but JV's NBA transferable skills are what matter.

3/ I like Detroit a lot, but as someone who immigrated as a young adult, Toronto is a way better place to find home away from home with so many cultural communities. I can't imagine the culture shock of Detroit being your introduction to North America. That had to effect Darko's developing game.

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
                          Some other comparisons:
                          Kanter - 13mpg = 4.2reb, 4.8pts, 0.3blks
                          Thompson - 23.7mpg = 6.5reb, 8.2pts, 1blk
                          kanter suffered in minutes behind jefferson and favours. i think he actually had a pretty decent rookie year. not bad production in 13 minutes.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Pretty interesting stuff. Darko was brought up but I think there are a couple reasons why comparing JV to Darko is flawed.

1/Darko was drafted by a successful team that had no time to develop him, JV will get more coaching, and more game time minutes to figure things out.

2/ Darko may have been a much better player overall at this age but JV's NBA transferable skills are what matter.

3/ I like Detroit a lot, but as someone who immigrated as a young adult, Toronto is a way better place to find home away from home with so many cultural communities. I can't imagine the culture shock of Detroit being your introduction to North America. That had to effect Darko's developing game.
                            i think reason 1 was the biggest factor. sitting on the bench for 3 years was brutal on darkos psyche. turned him jaded and bitter. i also heard *unsubstantiated rumour here* that he was a heavy smoker

Comment

• Skaloon, some OPTIMISM please don't be a typical lithuanian. I know you don't love JV and that's obvious, but it seems what you saw was only final series of LKL. Rytas wasn't that horrible, though they were horrible with distributing the ball to centers, and JV was almost useless just because he had to make most of the shots by himself. He's not selfish if he sees that others have better opportunity he gives them the ball instead of making risky shot, try to notice these things. 10 minutes in national team? Give me a break
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                I don't think he is as much of a project as people are saying. His footwork is great he has an assortment of post moves, baby hook up and under, turn around jump shot. He is fantastic at creating a pocket of space. He may get called in the NBA for hooking, all though he uses his elbows instead of his whole arm. He looks comfortable shooting from 10-15ft, isn't afraid of contact. I think his curve is going to be more about getting stronger and learning the tricks of the NBA game. Alabi is a project...BigV is a contributor in his first year, maybe not 20/10 but I see 10/10 and 2 blocks as doable. Also he is already above 80% from the free throw line which if you are a prolific offensive rebounder is a fantastic combination to have. Get used to hearing Hoop and Harm or AND1 quite a bit.
                                +1 well said. Jv is going to be a nightmare playing against for a lot of players and coaches.
                                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Working...
                                X