• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    July 29th against Argentina
    Thank you for the date!

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      And at this page you can see your local time of the games.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/court-sports/index.html
      Thanks for the links!

Comment

• • Casey has been in regular touch with Jonas Valanciunas, the Lithuanian center Toronto selected with the No. 5 pick in the 2011 draft. Casey last saw Valanciunas a few weeks ago in Houston, where the Lithuanian national team was training ahead of an Olympic qualifying tournament.

Valanciunas spent last season playing professionally in Lithuania, but he’s coming to Toronto this season, and Casey says he expects Valanciunas to seize a major rotation role immediately. “He’s been playing against grown men,” Casey says, “and they eat their young over there.” If Valanciunas does snag that kind of role, both Amir Johnson and Ed Davis will be on notice, though the Raptors’ trade of James Johnson to Sacramento last week removed one body from the team’s big man competition. Johnson has played both forward positions, but Casey says the team projected him mostly as a small-ball power forward. Linas Kleiza has played that role before in both Denver and Toronto.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...otten-raptors/

I am going to need confirmation that Lithuanians eat their young.

Comment

• What did Casey meant? Put pressure on them?
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• He meant that it's much harder for a young player in europe to get playing time, gain the coaches trust, some older guys play with a chip on their shoulder to give young players a lesson etc. ...

Comment

• Vykis wrote: View Post
              He meant that it's much harder for a young player in europe to get playing time, gain the coaches trust, some older guys play with a chip on their shoulder to give young players a lesson etc. ...
              This is a good way of putting his meaning, in my opinion.

RandomGuy: it was meant as a compliment, I believe, to the EuroLeague's approach to physically challenge young talent entering senior pro ranks.

Comment

• Well, usually they do "eat their young" but it depends from coach as well, Džikič wasn't the guy who was putting a lot of pressure on him, he gave JV 3 months to join the starting role. The players where the ones, who "kicked the shit out of him" in 2010-2011 season. I just quoted Rockets player D-MO though, who said this after Summer League game (Played season in Euroleague).
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote:
                  In the beginning of the season, the year-long wait was for a reason. In which to most people was, JONAS VALANCIUNAS.

Ever since we drafted him, it was controversial, a topic so long talked about, that now we know he was the perfect pick. As we drafted him, the hype was built over time by BC, Dwane Casey, and the fans. Ever since, he's had 'pressure.'

That pressure was, he's going to lift the franchise back up, he will be the center point of our franchise, and much was put on him, that he will be our future star. Ever since, I've heard so little about the name, and why?

The moves we made, signing Landry Fields, the chase for Steve Nash, the acquisition of Kyle Lowry, Demar Derozan to join USA's select team, our flexibility (which we really haven't used too much of), Terrence Ross and Quincy Ass via draft, yet to know, Jonas Valanciunas will be making his way.

He seems to have become the last train on the ride, the one friend who is extremely quiet, ever since we drafted him, things have been quiet about him.

The point of this thread? Well, didn't we have such high expectations of Jonas, and he was the only promising thing to wait throughout another sad season? Now that he's coming over, as much as he still is hyped, it hasn't been at the magnitude that we once experienced during the beginning of the season.
                  Whether this will be good or bad, this pressure is going to be there as soon as he steps on the NBA hardwood.

Now my question to you is, since the hype and 'advertising' has died down to a controllable level, is this the best for him as a player starting his career and as a franchise? Because the guy has gone through a lot in the NBA already, without even playing a single NBA game. I just feel that "the keys to the car" and Modell's employee of the day seem to have taken over the hype.

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...s-valanciunas/
                  Huh?
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Most of you doubted me when I said Jonas' twitter account was @jvalanciunas

I was just browsing the RaptorsPR twitter when I saw this

RaptorsPR
                    ‏@RaptorsPR

No, it is fake. Official account is @jvalanciunas. "@CaptMaverick85: @Raptors @RaptorsPR is this a legit account @J_Valanciunas ?"
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=9vuViOqFXXI
                      some JV highlights from last season

Comment

• Didn't realize how long JV is. If he ever develops a mid range shot, it will be hard to block. Also like how he keeps his blocks inbound.

Comment

• Krix wrote: View Post
                          Didn't realize how long JV is. If he ever develops a mid range shot, it will be hard to block. Also like how he keeps his blocks inbound.
                          From what I've seen from various highlight mixes, he does have a mid-range jumper. However, the consistency of his jumper is yet to be determined...

Comment

• From what i saw he doesnt have confidence in his midrange shot, thats probably because he was always asked to play like a "true" center (playing inside etc.) i think with practice and with in game succes his shot will improve, because he has a good shot technique and a great FT percentage

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                              Huh?
                              +1

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                                From what I've seen from various highlight mixes, he does have a mid-range jumper. However, the consistency of his jumper is yet to be determined...
                                A look at his offensive skill set here:

Looks like a decent passer as well.
                                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                                ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X