Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Have you seen some of the games over there? They're like NCAA tournament games. You have to realize there are a lot of teams and more than a couple of leagues. Just as not every college game is packed, not every basketball game in Europe is packed. This is obviously not a marquee game, so it didn't get the fans.
    Was going to make these exact points.

Maybe some of you guys who know your way around the Lithuanian League sites could find some Average Attendance Numbers?

I've got a great PDF here that ranks EVERY singe NCAA Basketball team (Div I, II, III) and granted, Kentucky and Syracuse will get their 22,000+ every night. (Which is pretty ridiculous actually.) But there are Div. II teams that draw less people in an entire season, than what Kentucky gets in a single night.
    I'm sure the discrepancies are similar overseas.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Have you seen some of the games over there? They're like NCAA tournament games. You have to realize there are a lot of teams and more than a couple of leagues. Just as not every college game is packed, not every basketball game in Europe is packed. This is obviously not a marquee game, so it didn't get the fans.
      Case in point the Kentucky-Old Dominion game this weekend was barren in the stands.... and Kentucky is #2 ranked team in NCAA.

It was a neutral site game though but still... it is Kentucky!

Comment

• Lietuvos rytas head coach short interview. He talks about Valanciunas from 6:25 to 7:50.

Last edited by irgigi; Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• irgigi wrote: View Post
          Lietuvos rytas head coach short interview. He talks about Valanciunas from 6:25 to 7:50.

Thanks, irgigi.

It is great to hear his very realistic views and expectations. That appears to be exactly the type of situation JV needs at this time.

Comment

• The coach indicated JV had some "problems" but is fit now. Does anyone know what kind of problems?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              The coach indicated JV had some "problems" but is fit now. Does anyone know what kind of problems?
              My understanding was fatigue - mentally and physically.

I'm not sure if there was any nagging injury such as a mildly sprained ankle that just needed a week rest.

Comment

• I bet he was talking about adjusting problems.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Valanciunas 12 pts (5/6 FG, 2/2 FT), 8 reb, 1 AS, 1 blk in an Eurocup game vs Azovmash

Bosxscore here

Very good game for Rytas, they've crashed opponent, which they have lost to a ~month ago in VTB. Good game for JV as well.

P.S. Kleiza confirmed, he will play in Lithuania during lockout. There are two options considered Lietuvos Rytas or Zalgiris (Weems team), and decision will be made soon.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Nov 22, 2011, 04:21 PM. Reason: Highlights added

Comment

• check out JV at around the 1:00 mark and the 2:00 mark.

You can't teach heart and hustle.

Comment

• Sonny or JV? Which one Linas?

Following up on irgigi's statement, the below was translated using Google Translate. Keep that in mind. But the point is semi-clear - Kleiza will be playing with Sonny or JV unless the lockout is settled (this is where I imagine everyone reading to burst out laughing.... and then crying).

One of the best Lithuanian basketball players Linas Kleiza North American National Basketball Association (NBA) lockout time playing in our country. Known businessman Anthony Guoga agreed with the player to wear one of this country's grand - Kaunas Zalgiris and Vilnius "Lithuanian Morning" t-shirts, writes portal 15min.lt

This news portal 15min.lt confirmed by a businessman and basketball star itself. The truth is still not clear which team will represent the injured player convalescent - "Zalgiris" or "Lithuania morning.

"Yes, I decided to play Lithuania (...). I would not say that there is a very intensive negotiations with one or the other team. The situation with the Lithuanian east is quite clear, but that's Zalgiris has not yet received a specific proposal, "- said Mr. 15min.lt Kleiza. - I have never played in Lithuania, it would be fun now take advantage of this opportunity. Perhaps more of the following will not have life. I think it will be good preparation for the summer before the team. "
                      http://sportas.delfi.lt/basketball/l....d?id=52049217

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        check out JV at around the 1:00 mark and the 2:00 mark.

You can't teach heart and hustle.
                        I love seeing big men run the floor, and I love it even more when they're rewarded for running the floor. The highlight at the 2min mark was a thing of beauty. It's easy to visualize happening on a nightly basis at the ACC. Mobile 7 footers are still a dime a dozen.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I love seeing big men run the floor, and I love it even more when they're rewarded for running the floor. The highlight at the 2min mark was a thing of beauty. It's easy to visualize happening on a nightly basis at the ACC. Mobile 7 footers are still a dime a dozen.

Are you sure you used that saying correctly? I think you mean mobile 7 footers are NOT a dime a dozen.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• My bad....typed too fast.
                            Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Nov 23, 2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Zalgiris says no to Kleiza

Looks like Zalgiris is out of the running for Kleiza's services:

http://translate.google.ca/translate...26prmd%3Dimvns

Translated to English via Google Translate:

"It is not clear when Kleiza will be a good athletic shape - this season or next. I do not want to participate in this lottery, because then you accuse me. Maciulis also waiting, but who knows when to play. "
                              ... basically implying that because of Kleiza's injury it's too risky to sign him to a contract.

I found that reference from Kleiza's Wiki page:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linas_Kleiza

On November 22, 2011, he declared that he would play in Lithuania because of the long-time NBA lock-out. He said that he would join Lietuvos Rytas or Žalgiris.[11] On November 24, 2011 Žalgiris owner Vladimir Romanov declared that he wasn't interested in signing Kleiza due his serious knee injury.[12]
                              I guess that leaves only Val's team (Lietuvos Rytas) in the running

Comment

• A fairly ho-hum game for JV in 17:17mins of action with 6 points on 2/5fg and 2/3ft, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, a turnover, and 2 fouls committed.

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/ule...me?gamecode=43

I have no idea what they are saying but JV comes in around the 2:30 mark... he is a rockstar.

Comment

Working...
                                X