Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: worst coach

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default worst coach

"Compare that to guys like Butch Carter, Triano and Kevin O'Neill, Sam Mitchell ó their locker rooms always felt like circuses. Casey's locker room seems almost too serious. Butch Carter tried to sue Marcus Camby. Mitchell refused to double-team Kobe in his 81 point game out of spite. Vince body slammed Mitchell for crying out loud. Oh my god, Lenny Wilkens. Did he do anything?"

brian colangelo wrote this on the val page and it got me thinking.

lenny wilkens or kevin o'neill? who has been the worst coach in our history so far? anyone for triano?

i say lenny, i think he inherited a team on the rise, did absolutely nothing with it and was fired. i remember watching him and he really seemed to not give a flying fuck about anything
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay Triano!

To put it short he was waaaaay in over his head. He had absolutely no idea how to coach an NBA team whatsoever!

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin O'Neil. No way you can give it to anyone else in my opinion. To watch his offense makes Casey look like a savant.

Not sure how out of all the options, OP chose Wilkens. Was it not Lenny that coached us into the Second Round? And before Mitchell, was our winningest coach? Lenny is the only Raptors Coach to have a playoff record that is anywhere close to respectable at 8-9.

Wikipedia has a nice breakdown:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_head_coaches

KO definitely takes it. Maybe Malone, but his team was horrible to look at on paper. Let alone the floor.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Dec 10th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

4. Like Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Kevin O'Neil. No way you can give it to anyone else in my opinion. To watch his offense makes Casey look like a savant.

Not sure how out of all the options, OP chose Wilkens. Was it not Lenny that coached us into the Second Round? And before Mitchell, was our winningest coach? Lenny is the only Raptors Coach to have a playoff record that is anywhere close to respectable at 8-9.

KO definitely takes it. Maybe Malone, but his team was horrible to look at on paper. Let alone the floor.
    That list is f*cking depressing ... we don't have a single Coach with a Winning Record ... Ugh.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Dec 10th, 2014 at 08:11 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hated his demeanor. i can't think of anywhere he made us better other than laid backedness. personal opinion, couldn't stand watching him (never do anything)(ever do anything)? one of those means do nothing and one means always do something i think, but again it seemed he did nothing and benefited off of carters' best year.

i love the "made casey look like a savant" hahahahaha
    For The Win

7. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

That list is f*cking depressing ... we don't have a single Coach with a Winning Record ... Ugh.
    Worst part is their NBA HC careers went downhill after they left.

9. Like bryan colangelo, Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    hated his demeanor. i can't think of anywhere he made us better other than laid backedness. personal opinion, couldn't stand watching him (never do anything)(ever do anything)? one of those means do nothing and one means always do something i think, but again it seemed he did nothing and benefited off of carters' best year.

i love the "made casey look like a savant" hahahahaha
    The thing with Wilkens though, is that was always his coaching style. He taught. He was a student of the game, and expected others to listen. That's all. He wasn't animated, and yelling, and all that crap. He was cool and collected, and I think a lot of players respect that; Assuming the coach is still passionate, which Lenny was. In my opinion.

11. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Worst part is their NBA HC careers went downhill after they left.
    Coach Curse of the Raptors. I've thought about it many times. Don't Coach here if you want to Coach somewhere else eventually. Though Triano is doing quite well for himself, and Smitch will land something eventually.

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    "Compare that to guys like Butch Carter, Triano and Kevin O'Neill, Sam Mitchell — their locker rooms always felt like circuses. Casey's locker room seems almost too serious. Butch Carter tried to sue Marcus Camby. Mitchell refused to double-team Kobe in his 81 point game out of spite. Vince body slammed Mitchell for crying out loud. Oh my god, Lenny Wilkens. Did he do anything?"

brian colangelo wrote this on the val page and it got me thinking.
    Immediately after I wrote this, I realized why I tend to defend Casey whenever people claims he's the worst. Casey may never be a championship coach, but the Raptors have had so many terrible, terrible coaches just having a competent one is a godsend.

14. Like S.R. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My vote is Lenny, for exactly the reasons Miek stated.

He was handed a perfectly good playoff team and did almost nothing with it. It felt like he was sleepwalking through the job and just looking to sunset his career.

Oh shit I forgot about Darrell Walker! LOL.

Edit: Oh, man that's a good Kevin O'Neill argument. I remember seeing old footage of him in Hoop Dreams. He has slimeball written all over him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    Immediately after I wrote this, I realized why I tend to defend Casey whenever people claims he's the worst. Casey may never be a championship coach, but the Raptors have had so many terrible, terrible coaches just having a competent one is a godsend.
    Incompetent management killed off a lot of coaches. Casey was probably a week away from joining them last season. Too bad he is such a scrub. He would be great for Orlando or Jazz.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is Lenny, for exactly the reasons Miek stated.

He was handed a perfectly good playoff team and did almost nothing with it. It felt like he was sleepwalking through the job and just looking to sunset his career.

Oh shit I forgot about Darrell Walker! LOL.
    Two playoff stints and a trip to the second round is nothing? Funny, for me, that's more than any other coach has ever done for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Two playoff stints and a trip to the second round is nothing? Funny, for me, that's more than any other coach has ever done for us.
    Edited my post to reflect your fine Kevin O'Neill hot garbage argument.

19. Like Joey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited my post to reflect your fine Kevin O'Neill hot garbage argument.
    Its a race to the bottom of the pile!

21. Like bryan colangelo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jay Triano is an assistant on a damn good Portland team.

Just goes to show some guys are meant to be the right hand man, and not the boss.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This discussion is just sad...

Post Thanks / Like

Malone was a good coach. His problem was that he butted heads with Isaiah Thomas.

25. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Man i still remember the KO days like it was yesterday. Toronto was an ELITE defensive team under him. Offense was a huge issue though, every game literally was in the 70's. Very rare to see the Raps score 80+ pts in a game that year lol.

KO's offensive philosophy? just give the ball to VC and get out of the way. That's exactly what he said during one of his press conference lol. And that's exactly how the Raps played offense under him lol.

Btw, my vote for the worst coach is Triano.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Man i still remember the KO days like it was yesterday. Toronto was an ELITE defensive team under him. Offense was a huge issue though, every game literally was in the 70's. Very rare to see the Raps score 80+ pts in a game that year lol.

KO's offensive philosophy? just give the ball to VC and get out of the way. That's exactly what he said during one of his press conference lol.

Btw, my vote for the worst coach is Triano.
    I remember Chris Childs (I think?) getting pissed having to look to KO every time down the floor to see what play to run. Was really funny to see. SOO slow. Epitome of Half-Court offense. I think KO hated any fast break.

Raptors Republic All-Star Zainab's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember Chris Childs (I think?) getting pissed having to look to KO every time down the floor to see what play to run. Was really funny to see. SOO slow. Epitome of Half-Court offense. I think KO hated any fast break.
    I remember we had one crazy streak when we had Chris Childs.....can't remember when but it was like a very long streak lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information