17 15.74%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

2 1.85%
Page 14 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Post Thanks / Like

the 5 offensive boards are what I like to see. Those extra possessions and often times put backs can often kill the flow of the other team

Post Thanks / Like

where he could really be a nightmare is the combination of the offensive rebounding put backs and foul shooting. How many times do guys get an offensive rebound close to the basket and get fouled hard to avoid the easy two. So teams are going to be stuck with the choice of hard fouling and taking an almost 90 percent risk of the free throw/foul trouble or just giving him the easy two. As an example his last game he got 5 offensive rebounds, which could translate to ten easy points a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Which I do expect from him around three years out

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine that most Europeans would have a difficult time in their first couple of years. We all know the struggles Bargnani had in his first year. Even guys like Nowitski struggled early.

I hope JV proves me wrong, but I don't see a double/double in his rookie year. He may end up looking like Davis is now. Flashes of a great player but looking average for the most part. JV will hopefully be a really good player by year 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree if where he made his money was as a scorer. Being 7ft with a high motor translates extremely well regardless. Being seven feet you should be able to average five boards a game by accident

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Jonas has so many good things going for him. As a center with an extremely high motor and 87% free throw shooting... With the speed of the NBA game I can see him averaging as a rookie 15pts 10brds 2blks per 30 minutes"

If he comes close to those averages I would be very surprised..and very happy. He would be a superstar with in a couple years. They always say it takes at least five years for a big man to fully develop, case in point is Bargs.

Here are some guys that broke the five year rule:

Patrick Ewing averaged 20 pts, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 35mins a game. He was 23 his rookie year and played 4 years in the ncaa

David Robinson averaged 24 and 12 , and close to 4 blocks in 36 minutes, in his rookie season. He was 25

Hakeem Olajuwon - averaged 20 and 12 and almost 3 blocks per 35.5 in his rookie season. He was 22

Shaq - 23 and 14, with 3.5 blocks in 38 minutes at the age of 20.

Yao Ming - 13 points and 8 rebound and 2 blocks in 30 mins. He was 22

Jonas when compared with these stats above, playing 35 minutes he would be averaging 17.5 points, 11.67 rebounds and 2.3 blocks at 20 years of age. Those stats would be better than Kevin Garnett's second year stats (I know he isn't a centre, but they have similar physical stats.)

If he averages 10 points and 7 rebounds in 30 mins in his first year I would be more than happy
    Last edited by saints91; Tue Jan 17th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if JV could average even 7 pts and 7 reb and 1 blk + a game with solid defense from the 5 in his rookie year I think that would be good, he is only going to get bigger, stronger, and better, barring injury.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell you, the way some are talking, his ceiling could be Sabonis version 2.0.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Do you mean posters here at RR or people working in the basketball media?

Post Thanks / Like

A little of A, a little of B. Depends on who you read and no one is giving much in terms of negatives.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It really is shocking to read how the reports of Jonas have changed since pre-draft analysis. Very few people were writing about Jonas. Even people such as Draft Express suddenly started writing glowing reviews of Jonas as soon as the draft took place.

Some might say that this changed due to his appearances in the Under18 Worlds and on the Lithuania Men's National Team, but it really does seem that things changed as soon as the draft took place. Suddenly he was being seen as the potential steal of the draft. Suddenly he became the player with the highest ceiling and potential star talent. Suddenly he was the most talked about prospect and someone you could build a team around.

For a draft that was said to not have any star talent, the way analysts are writing about Jonas is incredible. I love how things change with time, and I hope that the positives for Jonas continue to roll in.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If he plays like how Marcin Gortat is playing in Phoenix right now I would be very happy.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have extremely high expectations of JV purely for his, as some have already alluded to, "nose for the ball." He seems to find a way to be where the rebounds are bouncing to. His ability to get put-backs and the likelyhood of him being fouled repeatedly (and making good on his foul shooting) suggest to me that he will be able to be a 7 and 7 player for every 20 minutes on the floor in his first year. This might seem a little high , but that is what I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Do you mean posters here at RR or people working in the basketball media?
    I've been making the comparison since Day 1. I still say its valid.
    I've heard it thrown around a few times since as well in the media.

Not necessarily just in playing style, but in the emotion and aggression with which they play.
    Which was a huge contributing factor to Sabonis success if you ask me.
    He was an ANIMAL out there.

I remember I posted videos of Young Sabonis and JV one after the other, and its uncanny how similar they are; IF Jonas can add the 18 footer, all the better.
    The thing about Sabonis is, he was old, injured and fat when he came over to the NBA; and he was STILL pretty damn good.
    If only he came over 10 years sooner. HOPEFULLY, thats what is happening with us drafting JV.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I've been making the comparison since Day 1. I still say its valid.
    I've heard it thrown around a few times since as well in the media.

Not necessarily just in playing style, but in the emotion and aggression with which they play.
    Which was a huge contributing factor to Sabonis success if you ask me.
    He was an ANIMAL out there.

I remember I posted videos of Young Sabonis and JV one after the other, and its uncanny how similar they are; IF Jonas can add the 18 footer, all the better.
    The thing about Sabonis is, he was old, injured and fat when he came over to the NBA; and he was STILL pretty damn good.
    If only he came over 10 years sooner. HOPEFULLY, thats what is happening with us drafting JV.
    I've watched a few of the lithuanian games... JV seems to have a decent jump shot approaching the 10 - 15ft range, he gets it off pretty quick too (unlike Amir's five second special). 18ft as a big makes you a match up nightmare.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    It really is shocking to read how the reports of Jonas have changed since pre-draft analysis. Very few people were writing about Jonas. Even people such as Draft Express suddenly started writing glowing reviews of Jonas as soon as the draft took place.

Some might say that this changed due to his appearances in the Under18 Worlds and on the Lithuania Men's National Team, but it really does seem that things changed as soon as the draft took place. Suddenly he was being seen as the potential steal of the draft. Suddenly he became the player with the highest ceiling and potential star talent. Suddenly he was the most talked about prospect and someone you could build a team around.

For a draft that was said to not have any star talent, the way analysts are writing about Jonas is incredible. I love how things change with time, and I hope that the positives for Jonas continue to roll in.
    isn't it more likely that people (like raptor fans) simply started to pay attention more to those reports once he was drafted by the raps? Draft Express, for example, date-stamps their articles, and so you can see that they were writing quite reviews of JV for a some time leading to the draft. i'm sure that the mainstream media has taken notice of him since the draft (no doubt influenced by the U-18), but most of pundits had written about him pre-draft as well.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Rookie The Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Fox wrote: View Post
    Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...
    Just imagine if he takes five years to develop - lol.

Or what about if he starts strong then goes in to a 10 game slump, haha.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I would imagine that most Europeans would have a difficult time in their first couple of years. We all know the struggles Bargnani had in his first year. Even guys like Nowitski struggled early.
    Jonas's game meshes better with the NBA game (compared to Dirk and Bargs). Jonas isn't a finesse player. He's a legit big man, with legit big man skills. A lot of international post players with his skill-set have had immediate success in their NBA careers, because their game didn't require much adapting (e.g. Yao, Pau & Marc Gasol, Scola, Ilgauskas, Bogut). They can step in and contribute from day-1 since they're already familiar with their roles (defence and rebounding). They're not being asked to re-invent themselves once they land in North America.

It's the finesse international big men that tend to struggle out of the gates (Dirk, Bargs, Splitter, Smits, Okur, etc.).
    Last edited by Nilanka; Wed Jan 18th, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    isn't it more likely that people (like raptor fans) simply started to pay attention more to those reports once he was drafted by the raps? Draft Express, for example, date-stamps their articles, and so you can see that they were writing quite reviews of JV for a some time leading to the draft. i'm sure that the mainstream media has taken notice of him since the draft (no doubt influenced by the U-18), but most of pundits had written about him pre-draft as well.
    I was thinking the same thing. It's like when you buy a car, and all of a sudden, you start noticing the same car everywhere. Did everyone buy the same car after I did?

In reality, you subconsciously look for it more often...probably because you're excited about your purchase, or feel the need to justify it.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 14 of 184 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Thread Information