Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 4226

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Very endearing article by Holly MacKenzie:

It's hard not to love this kid

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7849--nba.html
    Oh what a treat, this entire article!!! Loved it. I wish they could do more journalism of this kind where the fans really get a chance to "feel" a player from up close.

Just like this kind of article, I always loved those practice vids or funny/dramatic locker-room moments, or in general some off-court action on tape where you get to see the players being their normal selves, hanging out. You get to know them more as individuals and this makes watching the games more meaningful, because you start rooting for them individually and as a team. You're no longer a regular Raptors "fan" who barely knows the names of the starters, but an individual who honestly loves to root for other human beings you happen to care for... win or lose, you start to share it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Oh what a treat, this entire article!!! Loved it. I wish they could do more journalism of this kind where the fans really get a chance to "feel" a player from up close.

Just like this kind of article, I always loved those practice vids or funny/dramatic locker-room moments, or in general some off-court action on tape where you get to see the players being their normal selves, hanging out. You get to know them more as individuals and this makes watching the games more meaningful, because you start rooting for them individually and as a team. You're no longer a regular Raptors "fan" who barely knows the names of the starters, but an individual who honestly loves to root for other human beings you happen to care for... win or lose, you start to share it all.
    You want a treat? Touchy feely journalism? Check out Stephen Jackson.

My favourite parts are when he talks about how humble he is and when he is talking about why he is a great person because he helped the passed out girl at the club.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...ll-spurs-life/

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember this from Raptorblog? http://goo.gl/vKsvH

(removed table showing statistical averages of big men rookies their first year) Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Andrew Bogut, Joakim Noah ,Al Horford, Nene, Javale McGee

"If you weren’t already aware that big men, especially centres, take the longest to develop, perhaps this table was a simple reminder. Even taking into account future All Stars and dominant players, none of these guys could average more than 12 points as a rookie, more than 10 rebounds or even crack two blocks per game. Howard’s impressive yet not spectacular player efficiency rating of 17.2 ranks the highest on this list."

One consideration for lowered expectations of Jonas has been a worry he would be picking up fouls like crazy. Haven't seen any indication of it yet. If he can stay out of foul trouble he may average close to a double, double a game.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Remember this from Raptorblog? http://goo.gl/vKsvH

(removed table showing statistical averages of big men rookies their first year) Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, Andrew Bogut, Joakim Noah ,Al Horford, Nene, Javale McGee

"If you weren’t already aware that big men, especially centres, take the longest to develop, perhaps this table was a simple reminder. Even taking into account future All Stars and dominant players, none of these guys could average more than 12 points as a rookie, more than 10 rebounds or even crack two blocks per game. Howard’s impressive yet not spectacular player efficiency rating of 17.2 ranks the highest on this list."

One consideration for lowered expectations of Jonas has been a worry he would be picking up fouls like crazy. Haven't seen any indication of it yet. If he can stay out of foul trouble he may average close to a double, double a game.
    About his foultrouble, and I've said it before, it's most likely not as big a deal as some people think because of boxscore. With his club and national teams, lots of times when he racked up a couple of fouls in limited minutes it was precisely because he knew he had limited minutes and didn't have to worry about his fouls per 36 minutes.

But of course, there have been, and will be, games where he'll get in (quick) foul trouble. Some nights he just has trouble getting into the flow of the game, doesn't move his feet well, lowers his arm when defending against shots round the rim, et cetera. But overall, I don't expect an Amir-like problem with fouls.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see him as a very very very raw Tim Duncan ... I honestly do
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    be pretty sweet if he could have kissed that shot off the glass for an easy 2. i would find a way to blow myself if shooters had to respect the shot and take their chances with the athleticism. that would be so sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    About his foul trouble, and I've said it before, it's most likely not as big a deal as some people think because of box score. With his club and national teams, lots of times when he racked up a couple of fouls in limited minutes it was precisely because he knew he had limited minutes and didn't have to worry about his fouls per 36 minutes....
    This is something that hasn't received enough attention, in my opinion.

As I understand it, the reffing is slightly different between Euro leagues and NBA, so I expect there to be an adjustment period. But so far JV hasn't shown himself to be foul prone. Not like Amir Struggled with in his early years with the Raps. I think fouls and conditioning are going to be the only things that keep Jonas out of extended minutes this season. He is much more NBA ready that I could have dreamed.

I hope he plays 35 minutes a game the rest of the pre-season, so he can hit the regular season at running speed.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, but was too afraid of the ensuing public flogging to post it

Duncas was putting up MVP-type numbers in his rookie year, but I do get what you're saying. When it comes to sound defensive understandings, decent offensive ability, not much flash, but high IQ and fundamentals, I find the "raw Duncan" model fits better than any other comparables we've heard so far (e.g. Chandler, Big Z, etc.).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is, Duncan's defining feature as a draft prospect was his exceptional post game. He projected as a good defender, sure; but the thing that had everyone excited about him was his already-polished offensive game. So to me, saying "very raw Tim Duncan" is kinda like saying "Ray Allen without the jump shot" or "a 6'8", 240 lb. Shaq". It takes away the defining feature of the compared player's game.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    The thing is, Duncan's defining feature as a draft prospect was his exceptional post game. He projected as a good defender, sure; but the thing that had everyone excited about him was his already-polished offensive game. So to me, saying "very raw Tim Duncan" is kinda like saying "Ray Allen without the jump shot" or "a 6'8", 240 lb. Shaq". It takes away the defining feature of the compared player's game.
    I beg to differ. Duncan's defining characteristic is that he is fundamentally sound and a smart basketball player. He's a hybrid of a power forward and centre. He's more mobile than traditional centres but yet he doesn't have the athleticism of the Chandler's and Dwight's.

Those characteristics are present with Jonas. Hence, the comparison. The lack of offensive moves in the post is the reason why I said "raw" x3.

Even the release on his jump shot reminds me of Duncan's.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lets say he's a less offensively polished but more athletic Tim Duncan.

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    lets say he's a less offensively polished but more athletic Tim Duncan.
    He's not more athletic than rookie Timmy. Definitely not. Were you serious?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    He's not more athletic than rookie Timmy. Definitely not. Were you serious?
    well i never watched the nba back then. So i'm just assuming

Post Thanks / Like

JV is just special good. Hard to imagine a rookie center that had more offensive smarts than he has shown so far this year. He is battling the fact that he is coming from a system with a different rule book, but I can't believe how well he is adapting. He is very close to being my favourite Raptor ever already.

Post Thanks / Like

I already ordered an infant sized Valanciunas jersey for my yet-to-be-born son, lol.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

i think bigV is killing davis. amir hitting that 15-18 footer and bigv easily making up davis' rebounds seems like the end of davis to me. too bad because i like ed.

bigV had a great stat line tonight. loved the blocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think bigV is killing davis. amir hitting that 15-18 footer and bigv easily making up davis' rebounds seems like the end of davis to me. too bad because i like ed.

I think Jonas played a solid game, but when Ed came in he gobbled up quick boards, made good plays and stuck a 15 footer, lets not ship him out just yet. There will be plenty of games that Jonas gets the early hook due to fouls, and we can role with Amir and Ed together in that second unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post

Some of Ed's minutes went to Acy. That probably won't happen once the season starts.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the two posters above. Ed played well and definitely has a roll on this team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I think Jonas played a solid game, but when Ed came in he gobbled up quick boards, made good plays and stuck a 15 footer, lets not ship him out just yet. There will be plenty of games that Jonas gets the early hook due to fouls, and we can role with Amir and Ed together in that second unit.
    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Some of Ed's minutes went to Acy. That probably won't happen once the season starts.
    Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    I agree with the two posters above. Ed played well and definitely has a roll on this team.
    i'm saying that wth jv playing so well that the reasons to keep ed over amir(which i am for) are less important because those same reasons age/potential/contract also make him a more valuable trade commodity. if we can have amir come off the bench and play stretch 4 with jonas or small 5 with bargs and still have gray for match ups, it seems to me that ed with jose is our biggest trade chip.

i think we all got super siked for jv then tempered ourselves and now watching him play he is already the best 5 on the team.

Page 77 of 212 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 87 127 177 ... LastLast

Thread Information