Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: love or Andrew?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default love or Andrew?

Was watching nba tv recap after game 4 and Isiah Thomas brought up out of the blue that Andrew versus Love trade was a mistake. Any thoughts?

Raptors Republic Starter 92TillInfinity's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My only thought is that referring to Wiggins as "Andrew" is weird.

Raptors Republic Superstar KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rightsideup wrote: View Post
    Was watching nba tv recap after game 4 and Isiah Thomas brought up out of the blue that Andrew versus Love trade was a mistake. Any thoughts?
    100% it was a mistake. Love is already redundant in the front court: Tristan can rebound better and Frye can shoot better. Cavs like to play small ball and kyrie, wiggins, Jr smith, lebron and Tristan sounds like a death lineup. Plus he's not close to his peak and love is past his.

I'm sure if lebron could take it back now he would. Proper scouting on love would have shown he never even got Minnesota to an 8th seed. Fake star.

Raptors Republic Veteran Barolt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    100% it was a mistake. Love is already redundant in the front court: Tristan can rebound better and Frye can shoot better. Cavs like to play small ball and kyrie, wiggins, Jr smith, lebron and Tristan sounds like a death lineup. Plus he's not close to his peak and love is past his.

I'm sure if lebron could take it back now he would. Proper scouting on love would have shown he never even got Minnesota to an 8th seed. Fake star.
    I'm not as convinced. LeBron isn't a shooter, neither is Wiggins. Kyrie isn't a great one. So JR Smith is the only shooter in your proposed small ball lineup.

Any small ball lineup that doesn't have shooters is a bad idea.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

5. Like Chefff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Barolt wrote: View Post
    I'm not as convinced. LeBron isn't a shooter, neither is Wiggins. Kyrie isn't a great one. So JR Smith is the only shooter in your proposed small ball lineup.

Fair enougu, but: in what world is kyrie not a really good shooter?

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiggins is a bad defender.. and may actually be worse than Love. He can score in bunches but his bread and butter is the mid range. James wants to win now.

I think the trade worked out for both teams. If Cleveland doesn't win I could see Love been traded.. but they'll still get a decent haul for him.. probably more than what Wiggins could bring at this point - mainly due to the salary differences and the Cavs not being shy about paying the luxury tax.

Raptors Republic Veteran Barolt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Fair enougu, but: in what world is kyrie not a really good shooter?
    That's fair, for some reason I had in my head his numbers being worse than they are because of how off his 3pt shot was this season. Still, two shooters still probably isn't enough for a small ball group.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes especially considering they could have had both if they waited just another year so Kevin Love would have become a free agent in the summer 2015, but what Lebron wants Lebron gets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
    My only thought is that referring to Wiggins as "Andrew" is weird.
    Sorry in the states it's either king James or LeBron, I think as NBA rookie of the year AW can be referred to by his first name in Canada.

Raptors Republic Veteran planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Yes especially considering they could have had both if they waited just another year so Kevin Love would have become a free agent in the summer 2015, but what Lebron wants Lebron gets.
    They couldn't afford Love if they waited unless they did a S&T..and then even more salary would have to go out depleting their depth.

Raptors Republic Superstar yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's fair, for some reason I had in my head his numbers being worse than they are because of how off his 3pt shot was this season. Still, two shooters still probably isn't enough for a small ball group.
    lebron at the 4 isnt a small ball linupe tho. hes bigger than most of the 4s in the league
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    They couldn't afford Love if they waited unless they did a S&T..and then even more salary would have to go out depleting their depth.
    I am sure they could have made some cuts like getting rid of J.R Smith and not resigning Tristan Thompson.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we really cannot evaluate this until you see how many championships the cavaliers win. Obviously they have opened up the bank for that reason.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call it a mistake, both teams got what they wanted from the trade. I mean the Cavs were 2 games away from the Finals without Love last year, you don't know how it would've shaken out if he was healthy. The Cavs weren't going to be able to develop Wiggins properly anyway most likely.

Plus, there's a decent chance Lebron wouldn't have come back to Cleveland if he didn't know they were going to get Love. If Love gets you Lebron it's instantly a great trade.

Most importantly though is that it let the Cavs get rid of Anthony Bennett, and that's an instant win.

16. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So are small ball lineups where you have just one or two good defenders and pretty much no interchangeability between players on the court. With Wiggins they'd have shooting question marks, but much better defensive potential and an elite athlete who can impact the game in transition.

I really think this is what Toronto has shown in this series. Cleveland has major defensive issues because they only have on guy that fits the bill as a key defensive piece in small lineups and that's LeBron. He can guard any spot and can switch on any play....and no one else on the roster really brings that. The closest is probably Richard Jefferson. Everyone else is more suited to more conventional matchups and not having to switch to other positions....and then again, they lack guys who can even guard their own position.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They definitely should have kept Wiggins. Not only could he have been Lebron's Pippen, he'd be their long-term insurance against Lebron bailing and he'd keep the competitive window open for the franchise for years. Love has always been a very talented and very flawed player who plays one side of the ball. He's also proving to be a bit of a prima donna.
    "Control DeRozan's catch-shoot game. He rarely passes. Defend the ball. Much of what they do reverses to 1 on 1 play." -- Visitor Locker Room Whiteboard, Air Canada Centre, Feb. 26, 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry in the states it's either king James or LeBron, I think as NBA rookie of the year AW can be referred to by his first name in Canada.
    Hmmm this is an interesting point ... One name status is big no matter if its the first name or last name ... but its generally the one that is more unique/distinct, no?

People don't usually refer to Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzkey by just "Michael" or "Wayne" .. its usually just the last name, and people know who you are talking about.
    With both Kobe and Shaq, they are generally refered to using their first names, without having to elaborate as to which "Kobe" you are talking about.

So I think "Wiggins" is the proper "1-name" to use for his "1-name status".. just my 2-cents. Haha

To the point of the OP, trade was a huge mistake.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed May 25th, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Bonus Jonas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah trade was a mistake.

Until Cleveland shows that this core can actually win a title, it's a failed trade.

They undervalued Wiggins I think.

That being said, if Cleveland wins a championship or two I guess it's an even trade, that was their intention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Joey wrote: View Post
    Hmmm this is an interesting point ... One name status is big no matter if its the first name or last name ... but its generally the one that is more unique/distinct, no?

People don't usually refer to Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzkey by just "Michael" or "Wayne" .. its usually just the last name, and people know who you are talking about.
    With both Kobe and Shaq, they are generally refered to using their first names, without having to elaborate as to which "Kobe" you are talking about.

So I think "Wiggins" is the proper "1-name" to use for his "1-name status".. just my 2-cents. Haha

To the point of the OP, trade was a huge mistake.
    So why are you just Joey?

22. Like 92TillInfinity liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kryie-Wiggins-LeBitch-Frye-Thompson
    Over their current line up

Rubio-Lavine-Muhammad-Love-KAT
    over their current line up

Trade Rubio and the 2016 pick for Hayward, Sign Conley

Conley-Lavine-Hayward-Love-KAT

Wet line up

but obv. this would've never happened