Thread: Drop Buycks for Marshall?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Buycks for Marshall?

I would.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

2. Like Nilanka, caccia, imanshumpert liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh....Marshall's productivity was probably inflated in D'Antoni's system. But I guess as a 3rd stringer, just about anybody is fine.

Raptors Republic Rookie mjt20mik's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be fine with either or. Doesn't make a difference cause both are going to ride the bench.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the same thing and thought - 'hell yes'.

Kendall is at least twice the passer that Buycks is.

My initial thought was 'but he can't shoot his way out of a paper bag'. And then I discovered that his TS% is 49.5% or so. That doesn't sound like much ... and it is the equal of Nando de Colo, and better than Buycks (TS% of 43% or something), Stone, Augustin etc.

It looks like we have $2.7M in cap room until the tax, and he would take $2.0M to pick up ... so that leaves us dangerously close to the tax level. And if our brain trust thinks we can handle it, I would say that's a great use of the space!!

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lou Williams is more then capable to do more then Buycks or Marshall if asked too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kuh wrote: View Post
    I saw the same thing and thought - 'hell yes'.

Kendall is at least twice the passer that Buycks is.

My initial thought was 'but he can't shoot his way out of a paper bag'. And then I discovered that his TS% is 49.5% or so. That doesn't sound like much ... and it is the equal of Nando de Colo, and better than Buycks (TS% of 43% or something), Stone, Augustin etc.

It looks like we have $2.7M in cap room until the tax, and he would take $2.0M to pick up ... so that leaves us dangerously close to the tax level. And if our brain trust thinks we can handle it, I would say that's a great use of the space!!
    His contract is a minimum, non-guaranteed $915k.

Anyone can pick him up, I believe. DanH - verification?
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Lou Williams is more then capable to do more then Buycks or Marshall if asked too.
    Exactly.

We're talking 3rd string, pure PG.

Like Buycks, he is only going to play in case of injury or blowout.

I expect Williams to be part of the rotation.

But it would be nice to have a guy at the 3rd string who has had actual NBA success and is still just 22 (well, 23 in a month).
    Tim Leiweke

9. Like CalgaryRapsFan liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star imanshumpert's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love this move. I'd much rather have a playmaking 3rd PG than another score-first guy.

Marshall isn't that good, but he made himself a good 3PT shooter last year (a hair under 40%), and is great at setting up teammates and running the P&R.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    I would love this move. I'd much rather have a playmaking 3rd PG than another score-first guy.

Marshall isn't that good, but he made himself a good 3PT shooter last year (a hair under 40%), and is great at setting up teammates and running the P&R.
    Most important.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Most important.
    Yup, if Lowry does get injured we need another PG that can run the P&R as a passer off the bench. DD and Lou are good in the P&R but are looking to score most of the time. Want to make sure JV, Amir, Bebe, etc get those easy dunks/layups.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it terms of the contribution during practice. It couldn't hurt to have another guy in the gym everyday that moves the ball. It's good for building the culture
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer Lou to not play a second at PG. People are going to learn VERY quickly how trigger happy this guy is. That is great off the bench at 2 if you're at average-ish efficiency (which Lou has been), but not good if you're trying to run an offense.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, if Lowry does get injured we need another PG that can run the P&R as a passer off the bench. DD and Lou are good in the P&R but are looking to score most of the time. Want to make sure JV, Amir, Bebe, etc get those easy dunks/layups.
    Heck, they don't get that enough with our regulars anyway....sometimes watching the Raps run the p'n'r makes me wanna bash my head into a wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

We're talking 3rd string, pure PG.

Like Buycks, he is only going to play in case of injury or blowout.

I expect Williams to be part of the rotation.

But it would be nice to have a guy at the 3rd string who has had actual NBA success and is still just 22 (well, 23 in a month).
    But that's still key. If there's one position where you want security it's PG. Definitely would be nice to pick someone up in that 3rd string role.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer Lou to not play a second at PG. People are going to learn VERY quickly how trigger happy this guy is. That is great off the bench at 2 if you're at average-ish efficiency (which Lou has been), but not good if you're trying to run an offense.
    Yeah, I don't really like the acquisition that much in terms of what I wanted to add to the team. A trigger-happy bench guard was low on my list. I wanted a guy with good passing instincts, and who wasn't really a shoot-first player.

But oh well, Williams is talented, and I'm hoping if he plays well he becomes a great trade piece.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah sure
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love Kendall as the third string point guard. He doesn't do anything else good other than pass but that's something this team desperately needs. As a third string point guard he's good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I don't really like the acquisition that much in terms of what I wanted to add to the team. A trigger-happy bench guard was low on my list. I wanted a guy with good passing instincts, and who wasn't really a shoot-first player.

But oh well, Williams is talented, and I'm hoping if he plays well he becomes a great trade piece.
    The nice thing about Lou though is he gives u another dynamic scorer when DD and Kyle off the floor. He's a better finisher than Lowry and nearly as good as DD also. So now if you have them off the floor you still have a guy out there who can put pressure on the defense.

Vasquez/Lou/JJ/2Pat/Bebe bench unit is so much better than last year's one where Vasquez was the only guy who could create a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

His contract is a minimum, non-guaranteed $915k.

Anyone can pick him up, I believe. DanH - verification?
    Yep, 915k.

And you need either cap room or a TPE to grab guys off waivers. We have a couple of TPE's that would do nicely.

Totally in favour of grabbing Marshall.

22. Like Puffer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about Lou though is he gives u another dynamic scorer when DD and Kyle off the floor. He's a better finisher than Lowry and nearly as good as DD also. So now if you have them off the floor you still have a guy out there who can put pressure on the defense.

Vasquez/Lou/JJ/2Pat/Bebe bench unit is so much better than last year's one where Vasquez was the only guy who could create a shot.
    Exactly. I might be the only one who thinks our team needed a guy like Lou. Vasquez literally had to do it all last season in terms of creating for others. Now he has someone else alongside him that can help take the pressure off him. Yes Lou is trigger happy but you need those guys who can come off the bench and get hot at anytime. Sparkplugs.

24. Like imanshumpert liked this post

Thread Information