• F

2 1.92%
Page 101 of 169 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3366

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    So I guess the working with Hakeem thing fell through? DAM! I thought that would have been great for him.
    I think working with Sabonis is better than The Dream.... but that is just me.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I think for JV's post scoring, working with Hakeem is better. I think for things JV needs to work on this summer in anticipation of a heavier load (decision-making and passing from the post), Sabonis is better.

I think, ideally, working with Hakeem would be very good in the early part of the summer. Spend that time doing drills with Dream, absorbing any advice he has, so that JV can work it into his regimen for the whole summer. It shouldn't actually take anything away from what he'll work on later as he meets first with Raptors staff, then later with the national team.

*Also the article only mentions the team stuff JV is doing, both that he'll be at Summer League and at Eurobasket. They make no mention of individual training plans, which he'll clearly have.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed May 8th, 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Valanciunas takes so very long to decide what to do when he gets the ball in the post. That high dribble and indecisiveness is a recipe for disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas takes so very long to decide what to do when he gets the ball in the post. That high dribble and indecisiveness is a recipe for disaster.
    I don't find he takes super long though. He doesn't "Bosh" it at least...(take about 42 pump fakes before finally making your move). I also find that sometimes he presses far too much as well, especially when facing up compared to backing down. All in all, I trust he'll learn the right balance of patience and aggression.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Either would be fine in my book he needs guidance, I think one of the biggest mistakes players is make is not networking to get better working with legends in the league.

I dont want JV to be lazy like DH.... which I'd say hes already proven he isn't.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop the molly i'm sweating

Post Thanks / Like

i would argue most of those are just broken plays by the wings. they give him the ball to give back out but no one can get open. so he starts the post up. reminder that he was 8th(?) or something in touches last season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    i would argue most of those are just broken plays by the wings. they give him the ball to give back out but no one can get open. so he starts the post up. reminder that he was 8th(?) or something in touches last season
    That's like the argument of what came first, the chicken or the egg? There is a reason that JVs' teammates don't have a lot of faith in his post game.

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's like the argument of what came first, the chicken or the egg? There is a reason that JVs' teammates don't have a lot of faith in his post game.
    I see that more as a patience and not trying to rush/force anything, if you follow Spurs for example, you could see that Timmy is approaching it in a very similar fashion, not trying to take a bad low-percentage shot but instead reading what can be given to him. I also think, that JV suprised a lot of people (myself included) with his post game this season. I actually didn't think he was this capable on offense. It almost makes up for the fact that he's a bit of a liability sometimes on the defensive end.

Regarding that chicken/egg argument, I'd say it's definitely because of the selfish and always chucking play by the wings (Gay, DD, AA). I hope the coaching staff will make some adjustments this off season and give Jonas at least 10-15 touches every game. It seems like he could average the same point average as Gay with half the amount of shots. You can't expect to be a playoff calibre team if you build your offense around Gay or DD.
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Sat May 11th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say there's more than one, and none of them are JV's fault. Selfish players. Low IQ players. Poor leadership. JV was being treated like the invisible man by the team until post-injury/post-trade.

You could tell the difference Gay made in JV's game...Why? Because he showed him trust and acted like a true leader around him. He would look for him on the roll or in the post, showing confidence that JV could and should convert those opportunities. Finally there was a player (other than Amir) willing to pass to a big man to make the right play. And I'm a critic of Gay too, but the leadership difference he made, even if not astounding, was noticeable. Hopefully this trend continues, and I think JV's growth wil help that, as he seems like a natural leader. So hopefully, teammates will feel more accountable between them and look to make the right play more often.

11. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    I see that more as a patience and not trying to rush/force anything, if you follow Spurs for example, you could see that Timmy is approaching it in a very similar fashion, not trying to take a bad low-percentage shot but instead reading what can be given to him. I also think, that JV suprised a lot of people (myself included) with his post game this season. I actually didn't think he was this capable on offense. It almost makes up for the fact that he's a bit of a liability sometimes on the defensive end.

Regarding that chicken/egg argument, I'd say it's definitely because of the selfish and always chucking play by the wings (Gay, DD, AA). I hope the coaching staff will make some adjustments this off season and give Jonas at least 10-15 touches every game. It seems like he could average the same point average as Gay with half the amount of shots. You can't expect to be a playoff calibre team if you build your offense around Gay or DD.
    Tim is also nearly 40. he certainly didnt play slow in his younger years.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas needs a post move or two to his left to be less predictable.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather JV work on his court awareness, and passing in the post/out of double teams over post-work with Sabonis, right now that is. JV's post moves seem to be quite advanced for his age, and experience in the league. Seems to have the hang of the basic post movements, and later in the season, we were seeing more and more moves with his back to the basket, such as the fake, and left hand hook.

The reason I would rather him work with Sabonis, is because of his poor court awareness, bad passing out of double teams/post, and also quite predictable when trying to make a play out of it.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats JV!
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think before he starts thinking about working with the best centers who ever played, he needs to get a twitter account first.

17. Like ReubenJRD, Employee, isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post

Congrats JV!
    I think he should have been first team, numbers don't blow you away, but his efficiency was second to none.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the only reason Tyler Zeller is on the team is because the Cavs had no one else to start when Varejao went down. His stats weren't that great, and his .438 FG% is horrific for big men. Can't use the excuse that he's a rookie, because JV's FG% was a full 10% higher.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto + European + Lithuanian = undervalued
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I think he should have been first team, numbers don't blow you away, but his efficiency was second to none.
    I think that JV was better than Barnes during the regular season, and probably deserved a 1st team spot.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross won the dunk contest why isnt he on the rookie team?

silly NBA dunking is the only thing that matters!

Thread Information