19 16.67%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

2 1.75%
Page 15 of 212 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Fox wrote: View Post
    Oh boy, I don't envy this guy when he plays his first game here. Fans are going to expect a lot...as long as we remember he is still young and give the guy some breathing room he should be ok. But this is Toronto after all...
    I doubt this will a problem in the early stages because people will really appreciate the (jyd) effort he will likely bring even if his play is subpar.
    Last edited by Soft Euro; Wed Jan 18th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Jonas's game meshes better with the NBA game (compared to Dirk and Bargs). Jonas isn't a finesse player. He's a legit big man, with legit big man skills. A lot of international post players with his skill-set have had immediate success in their NBA careers, because their game didn't require much adapting (e.g. Yao, Pau & Marc Gasol, Scola, Ilgauskas, Bogut). They can step in and contribute from day-1 since they're already familiar with their roles (defence and rebounding). They're not being asked to re-invent themselves once they land in North America.

It's the finesse international big men that tend to struggle out of the gates (Dirk, Bargs, Splitter, Smits, Okur, etc.).
    agree...JV's an excellent PnR player right now - sets great picks, rolls hard, knows when to set vs slip, has great hands & is a great finisher at the hoop, an excellent FT shooter, and has a nice little mid-range J. the NBA is a PnR league, so in that respect, i don't see him taking too long to adapt.

that being said, he will need time to adapt defensively & to develop his body so he can handle the daily grind, but all in good time.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Omg soo much potential!

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonas's game meshes better with the NBA game (compared to Dirk and Bargs). Jonas isn't a finesse player. He's a legit big man, with legit big man skills. A lot of international post players with his skill-set have had immediate success in their NBA careers, because their game didn't require much adapting (e.g. Yao, Pau & Marc Gasol, Scola, Ilgauskas, Bogut). They can step in and contribute from day-1 since they're already familiar with their roles (defence and rebounding). They're not being asked to re-invent themselves once they land in North America.

It's the finesse international big men that tend to struggle out of the gates (Dirk, Bargs, Splitter, Smits, Okur, etc.).
    I was actually thinking more in the line of adapting to the new culture and grind of an 82 game schedule. The language barrier is one thing, but being so far away from him friends and family has got to pay a toll eventually.

He would still need to bang with the big boys. He has a frame that is smaller than Davis' is now. Even Bogut was averaging about 9pts / 7rbs in his first year.

If JV can average around what Bogut averaged in his first year, I'll be very happy.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    If JV can average around what Bogut averaged in his first year, I'll be very happy.
    Agreed.

As for the culture shock, if Kleiza isn't amnestied, I'm sure he'll help bridge the gap.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

As for the culture shock, if Kleiza isn't amnestied, I'm sure he'll help bridge the gap.
    Good point. That gives BC a legit reason to hold on to him

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to rain on the parade a little...

DraftExpress Jonathan Givony - Twitter
    NBA GMs voting Valanciunas the best international player not in the NBA isn't a great sign for the state of NBA international scouting.
    I guess we're to assume the GMs mean best NBA PROSPECT not in the NBA. AK47 is still 10x better than JV.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    I guess we're to assume the GMs mean best NBA PROSPECT not in the NBA. AK47 is still 10x better than JV.
    But Kirilenko was 3rd in voting for that question. So they're probably not limiting the conversation to prospects alone.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But Kirilenko was 3rd in voting for that question. So they're probably not limiting the conversation to prospects alone.
    Yeah. what I mean is I think a lot of the GMs didn't read this question the same way. I would like to believe that any GM would say that Kirilenko RIGHT NOW is a better player than JV.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

That is what I thought about with Okur and Kanter. Clearly the Jazz thought differently. Maybe the 1-2 years that Kanter was already in the US made Okur expendable with little need of culture adjustment?

Raptors Republic Rookie Rytasfan97's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe there was something to that ESPN rumor and Rytas wouldn't let him out of the deal

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I didn't interpret it that way initially but listening to it again I could see that.

It sucks that we can't hear the question being asked thereby getting the full context.

I initially interpreted it as he has had a bunch of nagging injuries and cold/flu/sickness so he plays well for a stretch, then gets set back by the other things. So the idea of consistent effort was a result of external factors, not JV himself. I hope I am not wrong.

Maybe irgigi can offer insight?
    I understand it as he could not have enough training because of not being always healthy. Other than that, i only hear him working a lot.

Quote Rytasfan97 wrote: View Post
    maybe there was something to that ESPN rumor and Rytas wouldn't let him out of the deal
    I don't think that would be a reason. JV was asked a lot of times about moving to NBA as long as lockout finished. And he told he is not thinking about NBA, he's having season in Rytas and there is a lot of job to do here. I think he understands another season outside is not a bad thing to him at that age.
    He has mentioned as well, he is following Raptors performance (i remember someone in RR being curious about it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote irgigi wrote: View Post
    I understand it as he could not have enough training because of not being always healthy. Other than that, i only hear him working a lot.

I don't think that would be a reason. JV was asked a lot of times about moving to NBA as long as lockout finished. And he told he is not thinking about NBA, he's having season in Rytas and there is a lot of job to do here. I think he understands another season outside is not a bad thing to him at that age.
    He has mentioned as well, he is following Raptors performance (i remember someone in RR being curious about it).

Thanks, irgig.

I always appreciate your insights from Lithuania.

Raptors Republic Rookie huskies2raps's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Omg soo much potential!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV9c0pBH5dM

JONAS! JONAS! JONAS!
    Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is what I thought about with Okur and Kanter. Clearly the Jazz thought differently. Maybe the 1-2 years that Kanter was already in the US made Okur expendable with little need of culture adjustment?
    Kanter can speak English though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote huskies2raps wrote: View Post
    lol i love this song. This should go platinum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote huskies2raps wrote: View Post
    LOL, they should have worked in some real game film instead of that sorry pickup game on an eight foot hoop.

Raptors Republic Rookie Rytasfan97's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

9 pts, 10 boards (6 def), 2 blks, 1 stl, 3 to, 3/4 ft, 3/5 fg, 20:20 min in the 73-80 loss to Nymburk today

Post Thanks / Like

Jv is deandre jordan with more offense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Did anyone listen to this interview? Not sure if I understood it right but it doesn't sound like he was speaking that well of JV's work ethic (from the 5:45 point on). Anyone else?
    Here is a bit from an article on HoopsWorld.com with BC discussing JV. I read this when it originally was put out there but didn't connect your comment/concern with the article until re-reading it today:

BC:
    I think early on he suffered a minor setback with a calf injury but, it just limited some of his playing time, but we’ve very excited obviously about what his potential is and about where he is as a player and where he’s coming. I think he was a little burned out just from the repeated competition, the back-to-back world championship under nineteen, to the Euro championship and it was something that he had to recover from, emotionally and physically, but I think he is a very bright spot on our future horizon.

Source: HoopsWorld.com
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Page 15 of 212 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Thread Information