View Poll Results: Grade Valanciunas' Season

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    28 29.79%
  • B

    47 50.00%
  • C

    17 18.09%
  • D

    0 0%
  • F

    2 2.13%
Page 55 of 159 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3173

Thread: Everything Valanciunas

  1. #1081
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JV picks up no fouls in the 2nd half yet is taken out of the game after 2 minutes.

  2. #1082
    Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On a related note, Batum is owning this game. Can't believe people still see him as "just" a role player.

  3. #1083
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I get teh distinct impression that the coach is not a big JV fan. In fact, regardless of that, I think the coach is a complete moron. The team's D is just horrid. So porous....I know the team is generally a bit weaker than years past, but man, I've never seen the Lithuania team play so sloppy.

  4. #1084
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Absolutely ridiculous. JV wasn't put back in afterwards.

    Foul trouble my ***

    7 min
    4 pts
    2/3 fg
    1blk
    2 pf

  5. #1085
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    On a related note, Batum is owning this game. Can't believe people still see him as "just" a role player.
    It's very different in international play. Kleiza was the 2nd most dominant player 2 years ago (after Durant), and, well, he's just a role player isn't he?

    I don't know what Batum's ceiling is, but I know you can't really judge his game to be that much better by a good Olympic showing. Also, again, I can't stress how bad Lithuania's D is. Especially in the 2nd half, France has gotten pretty much anything they want. Batum hasn't been dominating by making tough plays and carrying his team, he's just being given plays that are way too easy for him from the other team....

  6. #1086
    Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To all the bitching guys about JV: have you even watched his play today??? His defense was so terrible as if Lithuania played without a center, just with 4 against 5 players. Jonas doesn't really look like himself anymore. It might be the incredibly tense schedule, but he's only a shadow of what we've seen from him in Lietuvos Rytas during the season. At the moment Kavaliauskas is a much much more reliable option on defense (of course JV can still play some offense, it would seem, but we have plenty of guys for that - what JV has to do is to defend).
    Last edited by omgsomuchpotential; Thu Aug 2nd, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

  7. #1087
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He wasn't bad defensively, kavaliauskas wasn't better, songaila can play one on one D but is a non factor on team defense because he's too short, slow. And when your team scores 9pts in the third quarter you want the best offensive center to be on the floor, so he could post up and create offence for the team. Kleiza was guarded by diaw and didnt go 1on1 at all. Coach sucks, defense sucks, something has to change for the lithuanian team...

  8. #1088
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Confidence can be a fragile thing - especially when 20 years old playing against grown men with the pressure of a basketball-crazed nation and what appears to be little to no support from the coach in terms of guidance and minutes.....

    ..... perspective of a biased Raps fan

  9. #1089
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    dunno guys - don't wanna gloat over here - but i told you that JV will not get more than 10-15 mins in this LT team - not this year - and you all laughed at me. i saw it last year in NT - i saw how he played in LR this year - he is not ready to play 30 mins for NT and kemzura haven't showed any signs of letting JV play more no matter how bad or good he plays. Kemzura is not here to experiment - he will get hanged back in LT if he doesn't get some sort of a result.

    what's happening this year in Olympics regarding JV - is exactly what i expected to happen. you guys had way too high hopes for him regarding NT. but no matter - NBA will be different story - cause your guys will work with him individually and in time JV will be decent C - maybe even a great one. just don't expect him to put up 10 point + 5 rb every game the first year.

    BTW JV defense was horrible in those 2 mins at third Q - that's why coach put him on the bench. Kavaliauskas is just better right now for LT team
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu Aug 2nd, 2012 at 08:05 AM.

  10. #1090
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see what the big deal is. Anthony Davis gets no minutes at all pretty much. He was the #1 overall pick.
    @Chr1st1anL

  11. #1091
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Anthony Davis gets no minutes at all pretty much. He was the #1 overall pick.
    Valanciunas is considered one of the best players on his team. Getting limited minutes is peculiar.

    Davis, on the other hand, is arguably one of the worst players on his team.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #1092
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Anthony Davis gets no minutes at all pretty much. He was the #1 overall pick.
    Well, there is a difference between the two situations. Davis is playing on a team of superstars while JV is playing on a team with far less talent, and a key injury to their front court. Sure, there were injuries to USA's front court (Howard/Griffin), but the team has so many talented guys, they can manage without needing Davis to play. But I think I agree with you. It really should not be a big deal. The Olympics is high pressure, and the players he is playing against are experienced veterans (that is why they are representing their country). People saw what he did at the U-19 tournament and expected the success to carry over. Frankly, JV is not playing well, and there are other guys for Lithuania that are just better for the team right now. I think people are having expectations for JV that are a little too high. He will be solid, dont get me wrong, but it will take time to develop him. Raptor fans need to be patient with him.

  13. #1093
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Valanciunas is considered one of the best players on his team. Getting limited minutes is peculiar.
    where the hell did you get that from? listening to british commentators (that don't know jack shit) too much? JV was never considered one of the best player in this LTU team. noone back in Lithuania expected JV play much more - especially before our main C javtokas got injuried.

  14. #1094
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Skaloon wrote: View Post
    dunno guys - don't wanna gloat over here - but i told you that JV will not get more than 10-15 mins in this LT team - not this year - and you all laughed at me. i saw it last year in NT - i saw how he played in LR this year - he is not ready to play 30 mins for NT and kemzura haven't showed any signs of letting JV play more no matter how bad or good he plays. Kemzura is not here to experiment - he will get hanged back in LT if he doesn't get some sort of a result.

    what's happening this year in Olympics regarding JV - is exactly what i expected to happen. you guys had way too high hopes for him regarding NT. but no matter - NBA will be different story - cause your guys will work with him individually and in time JV will be decent C - maybe even a great one. just don't expect him to put up 10 point + 5 rb every game the first year.

    BTW JV defense was horrible in those 2 mins at third Q - that's why coach put him on the bench. Kavaliauskas is just better right now for LT team
    It's probably a good thing to have someone temper our expectations and excitement (hard not to be excited about JV after the last few years of bball for the Raps). I actually haven't been too disappointed with JV's performances because I didn't expect anything from him after you said he shouldn't even be on the team:

    he will probably get to play up to 10 minutes - not more - he is just not good enough yet. the only reason why JV had some highlights in last year European Championship - is that Sarunas Jasikevicius is an amazing point guard that can make any center look good. BTW some of us don't even think that JV deserves a place in national team this year - there are better and more expierenced players right now. the only reason why he will be in the team - it's the "potential" - too bad that "potential" doesn't win championships.
    How did you think he played in the qualifying tournament? I thought he came up big in one of the big games for them (forget the stats).

    PS - Hate to be picky, but you did gloat - JV is averaging 11 minutes so far. Either way, you have been pretty spot on in your predictions and I am assuming you were making these predictions before the main C for Lithuania went down with an injury.

  15. #1095
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    PS - Hate to be picky, but you did gloat - JV is averaging 11 minutes so far. Either way, you have been pretty spot on in your predictions and I am assuming you were making these predictions before the main C for Lithuania went down with an injury.
    yup JV starts now - so that adds a lot of minutes. if Kavaliauskas sucked as he should - JV would play 20 mins now. cause Songaila can't play whole game - and he is not even a C. BTW Kleiza sucks as PF on D. when we run the small line-up with Kleiza as PF - we get crushed on defense. if JV actually played his best (like he did sometimes in LR) - he could get those 20 mins right now - but JV is playing worse than he played in LR mid-season. i think he is a bit out of shape right now - it was a hard season - even youngsters like JV get tired - more emiotionally than physically.

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    How did you think he played in the qualifying tournament? I thought he came up big in one of the big games for them (forget the stats).
    i actually just rewatched the game vs dominican res focusing on JV only. i had worse impression first time. but now i think that game was good for JV - he actually played like he used to for LR mid-season that game. BTW he got more time because Javtokas was already injuried. so if JV kept playing like he played vs dominican res - he would play 20 mins right now.
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu Aug 2nd, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

  16. #1096
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Skaloon wrote: View Post
    yup JV starts now - so that adds a lot of minutes. if Kavaliauskas sucked as he should - JV would play 20 mins now. cause Songaila can't play whole game - and he is not even a C. BTW Kleiza sucks as PF on D. when we run the small line-up with Kleiza as PF - we get crushed on defense. if JV actually played his best (like he did sometimes in LR) - he could get those 20 mins right now - but JV is playing worse than he played in LR mid-season. i think he is a bit out of shape right now - it wa a hard season - even youngsters like JV get tired - more emiotionally than physically.



    i actually just rewatched the game vs dominican res focusing on JV only. i had worse impression first time. but know i think that game was good for JV - he actually played like he used to for LR mid-season that game. BTW he got more time becase Javtokas was already injuried. so if JV kept playing like he played vs dominican res - he would play 20 mins right now.
    When you started posting during this past season you were quite down on JV at that time. He ended up playing quite well the rest of the year.

    If I recall correctly, you are a Zalgris fan. With all due respect, could the rivalry between L. Rytas and Zalgris cloud your judgement on JV?

    Credit needs to be given where due and your projections have indeed been more accurate than many posters here.


    Some biased Raptor reporter thoughts:






    Ryan Wolstat Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

    Why is Lithuania barely playing Valanciunas? Surely he could have matched up against Turiaf or something?
    Ryan Wolstat Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

    Not like the other Lithuanian big men are ripping it up. I don't get it
    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

    History shows Lithuania does well when Valanciunas gets minutes. Coach is making a mistake, young or not, he's better than their other bigs

  17. #1097
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    When you started posting during this past season you were quite down on JV at that time. He ended up playing quite well the rest of the year.

    If I recall correctly, you are a Zalgris fan. With all due respect, could the rivalry between L. Rytas and Zalgris cloud your judgement on JV?

    Credit needs to be given where due and your projections have indeed been more accurate than many posters here.
    my first post on regarding JV was on Thu May 31st, 2012

    so season was already over.

    i repeat again - i have no hate for the kid. and i'm not a fan of noone - i actually sympathise with LR more - because they are underdogs most of the time. the only reason why i uploaded those Sonny Weems (and Ty Lawson games) - because i'm more interested in NBA b-ball than europe. so i was interested in how Sonny and Ty does. quite frankly - NBA is the best and there is no debate about it.

    i'm trying to be realistic - that's it.

    BTW i'm uploading all LT official games of this year right now on my youtube chanell - so if you wanna re-watch on how JV is actually doing - check it out. cause no opinions will get you the truth more than actual game.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/skaloon
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

  18. #1098
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Skaloon wrote: View Post
    my first post on regarding JV was on Thu May 31st, 2012

    so season was already over.

    i repeat again - i have no hate for the kid. and i'm not a fan of noone - i actually sympathise with LR more - because they are underdogs most of the time. the only reason why i uploaded those Sonny Weems (and Ty Lawson games) - because i'm more interested in NBA b-ball than europe. so i was interested in how Sonny and Ty does. quite frankly - NBA is the best and there is no debate about it.

    i'm trying to be realistic - that's it.

    BTW i'm uploading all LT official games of this year right now on my youtube chanell - so if you wanna re-watch on how JV is actually doing - check it out. cause no opinions will get you the truth more than actual game.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/skaloon
    Apologies. My mistake. It is hard to remember everyone..... and what they wrote.

  19. #1099
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun

    If Valanciunas could do well against guys like Chris Kaman and Gasols when he was a year younger and smaller, not sure why he can't play now

  20. #1100
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Apologies. My mistake. It is hard to remember everyone..... and what they wrote.
    just check out those games. by the end of this day i should be finished uploading all the olympic games. (uploading the first one vs argentina right now, but it takes a while, 10 GB size rip) JV didn't play much - so it shouldn't take much time to skip ahead to JV minutes on the court.
    Last edited by Skaloon; Thu Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •