Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who, if anyone, to cut given an Amnesty Clause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caldy for sure. Out with the old and in with the new. I'd love that $20 million off the books!

Comment

The poll seems really odd to me. Why would you cut either Calderon or Bargnani. Calderon has just 2 years left, and is probably the best PG the Raptors will have (even at his current age) for quite some time. And I'd rather keep Bargnani and trade him for something instead of just letting him go. Right now, the only player I'd cut is Kleiza, but I still think his contract is decent and if he gets healthy he's a pretty good player.

Comment

Bill Simmons and Johnathan Abrams discuss this very topic.
        Good in depth look at the scenario and consequences.

Here's what they had to say about the Raps:
        TORONTO RAPTORS

Abrams: Linas Kleiza. It would be tempting for the Raptors to use the clause on Jose Calderon, whose contract guarantees him $20.3 million over the next two years. Kleiza's contract (signed last summer) is equally awful and pays him $13.8 million through 2013-14.

Simmons: Disagree. I'd rather chop Calderon's $20.3 million. I'm pretty sure paying eight figures a year for a backup point guard isn't getting you anywhere with a harder cap. Although really, they should see if they can use the clause on Bryan Colangelo — that's the worst single Raptors contract, right?
        Rough. Burns Colangelo pretty bad there.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Bill Simmons and Johnathan Abrams discuss this very topic.
          Good in depth look at the scenario and consequences.

Here's what they had to say about the Raps:

Rough. Burns Colangelo pretty bad there.
          I thought Simmons was pretty funny in it.

Do you realize that one of us has suggested a combined total of THIRTEEN amnesty guys who were signed or extended in the summer of 2010? Jermaine O'Neal, Linas Kleiza, Carlos Boozer, Travis Outlaw, Josh Childress, David Lee, Mike Miller, Ryan Gomes, Darko Milicic, Richard Jefferson, Drew Gooden, Al Harrington and Brendan Haywood. The owners' complaining about player salaries being too high is like the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills complaining about being in the public eye. It makes no sense
          pretty amazing....

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
            I thought Simmons was pretty funny in it.

pretty amazing....
            Simmons had a few GEMS.

I especially liked this one:
            What if the Magic amnesty'd Arenas, then traded Hedo and J.J. Redick to Atlanta for Joe Johnson? That's the best possible teammate out there for Dwight Howard; meanwhile, Atlanta could use the clause on Hedo (wiping $11.1 million off their 2012 cap) and turn Johnson ($107.3 million remaining through 2016) into Redick ($12.9 million through 2013) while dropping their 2012 cap from $66.56 to $55.3 million. I'm a genius. How am I not running a team, Abrams?
            Or:
            Simmons: We should use the amnesty clause on Charlotte.
            Zing!! HAHAHA!

One more:
            Simmons: Sam Presti is a better mant han I. I'd be holding press conferences and saying things like, "Really? Otis Smith overpays Rashard Lewis by $50 million, then makes it worse by trading him for Arenas … and we're throwing him a freaking life jacket? Really? REALLY?????? You know who I'm using my amnesty on? ROYAL IVEY! HE MAKES 10 F*CKING DOLLARS AN HOUR! YOU GUYS SUCK! F*CK YOU!!!!!!!!!!"
            Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 27, 2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

There is no way you would use Amnesty Clause on Bargnani ... you may want to trade him and get back some assets, but let him go for nothing is just silly.

Comment

The Simmons/Abrams article was great. I also liked this one:

Simmons: Agree on Childress. Too bad the Suns can't use their amnesty on their owner.

Anyway, Kleiza for me. It's the length that tears it. Calderon's is worse as a per year thing, but at least he's moderately productive and done sooner.

I just can't imagine any scenario in which Raptor fans are sitting around 3 years from now saying "Boy, I'm glad we had Kleiza on our team." Unless it's because he helped us win consecutive lotteries.

Comment

I'd talk to Calderon and ask him how much he wants to be a Raptor, and then, I'd cut him and try to sign him back for less (assuming he said he really likes being a Raptor). I like Calderon, always have. I just think he's overpaid. It's not a cost-cutting move, I based this purely on principle. He is making too much money for his level of talent.

Really what the NBA should be doing instead of an amnesty is implementing non-guaranteed contracts so that when you sign a player to big money and they refuse to rebound, or decide to risk injury every year to play international basketball and end up playing at 85% for the rest of their careers, you can cut them. It doesn't even have to be as bad as the NFL, they can put some restrictions on it like cutting can only be done if they are injured from non-NBA related activities. But at least it protects you from idiot GMs from creating horrible contracts that, even if they leave or get fired, teams have to continue to endure and suffer from for years to come.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    It doesn't even have to be as bad as the NFL, they can put some restrictions on it like cutting can only be done if they are injured from non-NBA related activities. But at least it protects you from idiot GMs from creating horrible contracts that, even if they leave or get fired, teams have to continue to endure and suffer from for years to come.
                    They actually already have stipulations like this in most NBA contracts.
                    Remember when Monta Ellis was injured on the Moped? Golden State was in FULL right to Release him and void his contract.
                    Most dangerous activities are included on this 'list'.

However, with the "Love of the Game" clause invented my Jordan, that does not extent to playing Pick-Up basketball.
                    Where Ed Davis was injured last summer.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      I'd talk to Calderon and ask him how much he wants to be a Raptor, and then, I'd cut him and try to sign him back for less (assuming he said he really likes being a Raptor). I like Calderon, always have. I just think he's overpaid. It's not a cost-cutting move, I based this purely on principle. He is making too much money for his level of talent.
                      In the last CBA when this clause was brought in, the main condition was the player was not permitted to re-sign with the original team. Do not know if it would be the same again but I would bet that it would be the same.

Comment

Calderon is still quite productive and is a pure PG who gets everyone involved. I wouldn't cut him. Sure, he's got about 20 mil with 2 seasons left, but on this team, he's a starter and he's more of a calming influence than Bayless.

Kleiza while his contract isn't THAT bad, who knows how he pops back from this injury - and if he can't, it's just dead weight. So I'd vote Kleiza.

However, wouldn't it be interesting if Bargnani is the one that gets the axe....

Comment

TORONTO RAPTORS

Abrams: Linas Kleiza. It would be tempting for the Raptors to use the clause on Jose Calderon, whose contract guarantees him $20.3 million over the next two years. Kleiza's contract (signed last summer) is equally awful and pays him $13.8 million through 2013-14.

Simmons: Disagree. I'd rather chop Calderon's $20.3 million. I'm pretty sure paying eight figures a year for a backup point guard isn't getting you anywhere with a harder cap. Although really, they should see if they can use the clause on Bryan Colangelo — that's the worst single Raptors contract, right?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...amnesty-20-nba
                          Bill Simmons and Jonathan Abrams discussing amnesty clause.

All teams are there.

Not a bad read and some funny lines but I'm surprised at how "NBA experts" in this topic are misquoting figures for players. Examples: Martell Webster has a team option for '12-13 and David Andersen had a team option for this coming season and has since signed in Europe.... but whatever.....

Comment

^^I posted that a few days ago ..

We were loving Simmons.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              ^^I posted that a few days ago ..

We were loving Simmons.
                              Sorry Joey.

Comment

I know that there's been a lockout and the season ended a long time ago, but you all realize that the Raptors were the 2nd worst team in the East, right? 3rd worst overall? Won only 22 games? And if there's a season, they probably won't be any better barring DeRozan turning into Michael Jordan 2.0? And we're talking about Calderon and Bargnani like they are sacred cows? REALLY? NO ONE should be bought out? To borrow a phrase from a reporter when people were complaining about how losing Kaberle off the Leafs could hurt their powerplay as it pertains to the Raptors not having Calderon to run this team and be a veteran presence: SO WHAT?! Either with or without him, they are going to be BAD, so why not let him go, create some cap room, let some of the young guys play and even give the guy a solid for being a 'good soldier' and let him go be a decent backup on a playoff team. And if they become the worst team in the league, then so be it, higher draft pick! Besides, by the time the Raptors are good again, he won't be with the team anyway.

Personally, I would waive Bargnani. When your crowd boos your first round pick because he comes from the same CONTINENT as the player that most fans are tired of, it's probably time to cut the cord and start fresh. At this point, you can't build a team around him, unless you have 11 guys killing themselves to play defence, rebounding and do other things while Bargnani puts up his 20-3-3, hoisting up 20 shots a game. Get a start on the DeRozan/Davis era early (to see if they SHOULD be a DeRozan/Davis era) and send a signal to your fans that you're washing your hands of the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X