Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tier - Ranking players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    For defense, is it possible to use Points Against? steals? blocks? turnovers? Im just thinking...i really want to make this system work! hahaha.

If there was a way to keep track of defensive effort and make it a part of the Tier, wouldnt it encourage so-called lazy defenders (i dont believe there are players who are really defense-incapable) to put extra effort to defend so it would help them get to the next Tier? Much the same as those guys who wants to score more points? And for defenders like Battier and Artest, wouldnt it encourage them to not pass up on open shots or maybe create a scoring opportunity for themselves rather than watch offensive players do so?
    Well again, it could work, but not by using stats like 'Points Against' or any other basic number.
    It has to be a combination of MULTIPLE metrics that are combined and weighted against the league average.
    Again, just like in Baseball. It's obviously different, but it's the only sport where there is a respectable (and respected) Player Ranking System.

However, they DO NOT use as a way to judge how much a player should be paid.

Check out my link above, if you haven't already, where they explain how in depth and convoluted the Baseball Metrics are. It's pretty ridiculous.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    For defense, is it possible to use Points Against? steals? blocks? turnovers? Im just thinking...i really want to make this system work! hahaha.

If there was a way to keep track of defensive effort and make it a part of the Tier, wouldnt it encourage so-called lazy defenders (i dont believe there are players who are really defense-incapable) to put extra effort to defend so it would help them get to the next Tier? Much the same as those guys who wants to score more points? And for defenders like Battier and Artest, wouldnt it encourage them to not pass up on open shots or maybe create a scoring opportunity for themselves rather than watch offensive players do so?
    Again, you're looking at stats. Blocks and steals does not equal defense. Sometimes a guy can get lots of steals or blocks but not be a good defender.

Battier is the perfect example of a defensive guy who has a FAR bigger impact on the game than his stats show. He doesn't get a lot of blocks or steals. He just wins. This is why basketball and baseball are so different. Basketball can't be broken down into simple stats to tell the worth of a player.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information